Wood chipper

Help Support CattleToday:

Some of those regenerative guys that right books talk a lot about using wood chips for bedding. Looks like pretty good compost by the end of the year. Looks like a lot of work too. But I'm not in a part of the world were there is ever really a need to supply bedding of any kind.
Most of the tree trimming companies that do power lines or road work will bring you a load of chipped limbs and branches and dump them where you want but those chips dont break down like shavings if you're looking for compost, it takes a lot longer. I used to have them brought in and put around the base of my hot walker and the horses would grind them up pretty good so that worked better but it was still a process of moving them out and replacing them

A tree company dumped some on me. Well I put it around the house and it did last, but after two lawn mower flats from the sharp brush I wish I had never seen it. I will take the rotten mulch any day.

Most of the tree trimming companies that do power lines or road work will bring you a load of chipped limbs and branches and dump them where you want but those chips dont break down like shavings if you're looking for compost, it takes a lot longer. I used to have them brought in and put around the base of my hot walker and the horses would grind them up pretty good so that worked better but it was still a process of moving them out and replacing them
A LOT longer and where I was, they were full of seeds of some kind that germinated and grew into a huge mass of horrible root tangles.
Also sprouted up about a thousand little pine saplings, bunch of yaupon, green brier and sweet gum.. In other words, a mini jungle