• Double bit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hydraulic

Votes: 14 82.4%
  • Cahinsaw

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The European kg mauls ain't worth a hoot. I like my 6 pounder. Seems like every time I get my gas engine hydraulic splitter out, is makes me cuss. Even if it starts, I usually throw my back out trying to load the giant knotted up pieces that I couldn't split by hand. What I need is a wood splitting cap for my post driver......

I use to nothing but an 8 pound maul. If it is real knotty I have big enough saws to rip it pretty quick. The getting older I am starting to lean on a rented splitter. And since moving here where most of the fire wood is juniper which as lots of serious knots it looks like that hydraulic is the only way to go.

Hydraulic, wouldn't have it any other way. Pounded enough wood in my life.

Atimm693":22wfwt8z said:

Yep. I've only pulled a cross cut saws a couple of times. Chainsaw works much better. Hydraulic splitter too.

backhoeboogie":4ivtm0tr said:
Atimm693":4ivtm0tr said:

Yep. I've only pulled a cross cut saws a couple of times. Chainsaw works much better. Hydraulic splitter too.

Well some chain saws...... I have thought about buying a hydraulic splitter or making one to run with the tractor. But I can rent one for $50 a day and over time that is cheaper than buying one. And I don't have to maintain it. I get all my wood cut and in a pile beside the wood shed. In 3 or 4 hours it is in another pile all split. I still use the chain saw to break down ones too big to man handle.

Dave":jm7de2vf said:
backhoeboogie":jm7de2vf said:
Atimm693":jm7de2vf said:

Well some chain saws...... I have thought about buying a hydraulic splitter or making one to run with the tractor. But I can rent one for $50 a day and over time that is cheaper than buying one. And I don't have to maintain it. I get all my wood cut and in a pile beside the wood shed. In 3 or 4 hours it is in another pile all split. I still use the chain saw to break down ones too big to man handle.

I built one, but they're getting so cheap now it was hardly worth it.

I can process in a couple hours what it takes most of a day to do by hand.

skyhightree1":2zdi117j said:
Jw I gotta haul this and split it bring your maul and show me

Think this guy needs more help than you do Sky
[youtube]https://youtu.be/51qGgOpaW0c[/youtube]

alisonb":1eyse6is said:
skyhightree1":1eyse6is said:

That guy in the video is a dingaling for sitting the piece of wood he's trying to bust on top of that other piece. He'd be hitting way harder with the maul if the piece he was trying to bust was sitting on the ground. He should have been able to bust every piece of wood in that pile with one swing. I give this video 0 stars. However, I do recommend the Fiskars splitting ax over any maul. I have extensive experience using a Fiskars and an 8 lb maul and I highly prefer the Fiskars.

alisonb":oj0x4j2t said:
skyhightree1":oj0x4j2t said:

Who taught this guy how to split? :???: :roll:
I sure hope it's meant to be a funny video_Otherwise,it's sad.Not much control with his axe or maul.

Latest posts