Woke up to what sounds like heavy rain

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
We have have been very dry here inthe PNW for a few months, I woke up this morning to what sounds like a pretty heavy rain. it's still too dark to see just what is going on and I'm not one to go out and stand in it just to see, I'll wait with a cup of coffee in my hand until daylight hits. Don't think we'll get enough to help the pastures but if it is as good as it sounds it'll sure help the fire danger. Should start getting light in 30 to 45 minutes, I looking forward to seeing how much rain we finally got, we are supposed to have rain for the next three days... We'll see.

greybeard":ln90k9k9 said:
It was just a dream Alan--go on back to sleep....

I almost did drift back off, but not quite. :lol: Just a light rain as of now, we'll have to see how much we get over the next couple of days to determine if it's a chance of doing any good. With luck it'll make it to the east side and help those folks out a little.

I am very jealous. Sunny skies this AM and it looks like it will be another scorcher. Finally took the bulls out yesterday about a week late. I only like to keep them in 60 days, but I was trying to get hay in the barn and hoping to move them on a cooler day. It was still in the 90's yesterday, but I don't want May calves, so I figured we better get them out. No chance of rain in the 10 day forecast and it is predicted to move back into the 100's next week. I have lived here 23 years and it feels like we have had more 100+ days this summer than in the past 20 years combined. One of the things that drew me to this area, was that there were few extreme temperatures. When we built our home the heating contractor talked me into a heat pump, because it would include air conditioning. I did not want it at first, I figured nights are cool and I could just open the windows at night to cool the house. Besides, I thought, it seldom gets that hot here for more than a couple days. I am sooo happy that I caved to the extra expense and got the AC!

Katpau":2zwrpdmw said:
I am very jealous. Sunny skies this AM and it looks like it will be another scorcher. Finally took the bulls out yesterday about a week late. I only like to keep them in 60 days, but I was trying to get hay in the barn and hoping to move them on a cooler day. It was still in the 90's yesterday, but I don't want May calves, so I figured we better get them out. No chance of rain in the 10 day forecast and it is predicted to move back into the 100's next week. I have lived here 23 years and it feels like we have had more 100+ days this summer than in the past 20 years combined. One of the things that drew me to this area, was that there were few extreme temperatures. When we built our home the heating contractor talked me into a heat pump, because it would include air conditioning. I did not want it at first, I figured nights are cool and I could just open the windows at night to cool the house. Besides, I thought, it seldom gets that hot here for more than a couple days. I am sooo happy that I caved to the extra expense and got the AC!
I had a problem with the heat side in January and last Saturday the ac side stopped working. Having 4 zones and 2 units came in handy.

Light rain quit around 11 am, we have had a heavy overcast sky all day. We had enough rain to make the ground wet, dirt is still wet but not enough, over cast skies are helping keep the moisture in the ground. Going into the evening we're getting a build up of dark rain clouds so who know we may get another good soak tonight. Will it be enough to help......? Who knows, cooler weather is nice. Again hope you guys east get some.

Nesi, are you directly north of Seattle or a bit east? For whatever reason I always had you about 100 to 150 east of that point.

I had a 4 inch rain on Friday. That is where the drops are about 4 inches apart. That was all. On Saturday GF came up I-5 from south she said it was raining hard in Longview. My brother came down from the north end of the Kitsap peninsula. He said it was raining hard up there. Nothing here but dry.

Dave":1xxcm65h said:
I had a 4 inch rain on Friday. That is where the drops are about 4 inches apart. That was all. On Saturday GF came up I-5 from south she said it was raining hard in Longview. My brother came down from the north end of the Kitsap peninsula. He said it was raining hard up there. Nothing here but dry.
That's the way it works for me too.

Well, having the hope of rain was nice. we got the one heavy rain and then just some scattered light mist for a day. No rain today, just overcast but the dream stomper starts again Wednesday, high 80's to mid 90's as far as the forecast goes out. :frowns:

I just looked at the 10 day forecast for Roseburg. It showed 104 Wed, 107 Thur, 106 Fri, 101 Sat and 100 Sun. I have never felt temperatures that high before, so I am a little curious, but we plan to be in Seattle Tuesday through Thursday, so I will miss it. I am not disappointed. Unfortunately we plan to go to a dispersal auction in Hermiston on Saturday and they are predicting temps of 102. I hope there is shade for the cattle, but I kind of doubt it.

Katpau":hhi84bla said:
I just looked at the 10 day forecast for Roseburg. It showed 104 Wed, 107 Thur, 106 Fri, 101 Sat and 100 Sun. I have never felt temperatures that high before, so I am a little curious, but we plan to be in Seattle Tuesday through Thursday, so I will miss it. I am not disappointed. Unfortunately we plan to go to a dispersal auction in Hermiston on Saturday and they are predicting temps of 102. I hope there is shade for the cattle, but I kind of doubt it.

Is it at the Hermiston sale yard? It has been years since I have been there but I seem to remember some of the yard being covered. A 102 over there feels a lot cooler than it does over here because of the lack of humidity.

It's being held at Double M sale facility in Stanfield. It is a newer facility and the ring is indoors. Hopefully they will have some big fans or something. I worry more about the cattle than myself. They are selling a bunch of fall bred heifers and cows, so that heat combined with the stress of the sale will be hard on them

We are getting a pretty heavy Tstorm right now--radar shows a lot of it around E Texas, and Caustic should be getting his share as well. Dunno how much or how long it will last, but I'll take whatever falls for sure.
http://www.wunderground.com/US/TX/200.html#SPE

Significant weather advisory for northeastern Waller...
southeastern Walker... southern San Jacinto... Montgomery...
northwestern Harris... southeastern Grimes... northwestern Liberty and
south central Polk counties until 100 PM CDT...

At 1158 am CDT... Doppler radar was tracking a line of strong
thunderstorms along a line extending from near Montgomery to near
North Cleveland... and moving south at 25 mph.

Winds in excess of 40 mph will be possible with these storms. Small
hail... frequent lightning and brief heavy rainfall will also
accompany the storm.

Locations impacted include...
Conroe... Cleveland... Navasota... Willis... Pinehurst... The Woodlands...
Oak Ridge North... Shepherd... Panorama Village... Shenandoah...
Splendora... Patton Village... Roman Forest... Magnolia... Woodbranch...
Cut and Shoot... New Waverly... Coldspring... Montgomery and Plum Grove.

Got 4/10ths.
Lost at least 2 televisions. A blue ray player. A mini genie box and power supply. And the power inserted for the Internet dish. Funny thing about. All of it but one TV was on a surge protectors ... Not necessarily cheap ones either

Was an expensive shower

Latest posts