Winter wheat or rye grass or mix of both

Help Support CattleToday:

DCA farm

Reaction score
What's y'all think about winter wheat or ryegrass for winter grazing or a mix of both
Wheat seed is cheaper than rye grass seed but I don't have a drill so it would have to be broadcast planted.

DCA farm said:
What's y'all think about winter wheat or ryegrass for winter grazing or a mix of both
Wheat seed is cheaper than rye grass seed but I don't have a drill so it would have to be broadcast planted.

I plant both for different reasons but I do not graze it. You can plant wheat by broadcasting and lightly discing

skyhightree1 said:
DCA farm said:

I plant both for different reasons but I do not graze it. You can plant wheat by broadcasting and lightly discing

I've got a section of woods couple acres I have been clearing I planned to plant it heavy in rye grass just wondering if the wheat would be worth putting out instead of or along with

DCA farm said:
skyhightree1 said:
DCA farm said:

I've got a section of woods couple acres I have been clearing I planned to plant it heavy in rye grass just wondering if the wheat would be worth putting out instead of or along with

personally rye grass is safer if you plant wheat it can get away from you depending on weather and have beards that mess up the cows mouth. Rye grass come up well and does a good job.

Wheat will give earlier grazing and ryegrass will graze longer into the spring. A mix of both if you can. But the wheat needs to be in the ground a bit.

I haven't priced seed this year, but I think wheat is generally the better choice. It will take twice the amount of wheat seed broadcasting to get the same stand vs drilling though, so be sure and calculate properly.

DCA farm said:

I prefer elbon rye and rye grass to wheat. Elbon doesn't mind wet feet as bad and it stands up to grazing pressure better IMO.

Very good luck with broadcast rye. Tried both here in mid MO. Like the rye better. Better germination with only broadcasting on short pasture.

Wheat in most places in the north is going to be in high demand this fall, better get it bought now. Just a forewarning.

Wheat is more palatable and cows prefer it or oats above cereal rye. Cereal Rye is gonna make more tonnage and grow better in colder temps. Ryegrass is of little good until spring but then it really comes on strong.
Not sure where you are located. I'm in Georgia. I plant rye, ryegrass, and oats in a mix. It gives me grazing from November to May if I manage the grazing pressure correctly.

Even though most Rye is annual, if you let the last of it in the early summer head out and then in the fall toss some P and K on it and run a chain harrow on it to put it down, you will have a nice spring crop the following year....with a bit of N in the last days of January when the weather gives you about a week breather.....does here anyway.....that's when the wheat boys spray for green bugs and top dress the crop.