Winter Dysentery or BVD?

Help Support CattleToday:

jb50

Reaction score
My cow/ calf herd has bloody diarrhea. Some also have snotty noses and a few are coughing. The cows were vaccinated 5 weeks ago (cows only 1 shot.... annual revac with KV). The calves vaccinated 5 weeks ago and boostered 1 week ago with MLV. (The weather has been cold and real windy the last 10 days, not sure if great conditions to vaccinate in.) Two weeks ago I bought a few calves...not vaccinated.They were kept in the same run in shed, but a seperated pen. I am wishing now I had 'quarantined' them in a different barn. I'm hoping one isn't a PI calf, and the symptoms in the herd are from BVD. Does this sound like BVD?? If the herd is vaccinated, what are the odds of contracting BVD? I would guess vaccines aren't bullet proof.Maybe winter dysentery, although I've never had that in my herd before. If winter dysentery, should I change their diet. They get 50/50 of corn silage and grass hay. More hay and less silage? They have salt blocks available, anything else be beneficial?

Since your entire herd is at risk, I would get your vet out there. You will likely get some very solid advice here on what it is and how to treat it, but will you be able to tell it from the wrong advice you might also get? And how long can you wait to start treatment before they start dying? Good luck, hope you get it licked and save them all.

Coccidiosis and pneumonia, perhaps. BVD IS a big problem, but I wouldn't automatically assume that's what you're looking at. Can you run a few through the chute and look in their mouth? BVD tends to present with oral lesions on the lips, pallet, etc, and that may help in your diagnosis.

Latest posts