will test be worth it

Help Support CattleToday:

double v

Reaction score
With the high price of corn and hay will it be worth it putting bulls on test? Will it be a lost or will it be a win. Cattle prices are still good and one day it will rain. Looking for some feedback.... :banana:

We delivered two bulls to the Florida bull test on July 31st. Will it be profitable probably not, break even hopefully, gather valuable information on our herd sire absolutely. Last year we sent three two out of our senior herd sire and one AI calf this year I want data on our junior herd sire. Information is a valuable tool to have in the tool box.

Gizmom

Probably be a break even if we're lucky but it beats wasting money on anything else for me!

I spent a lot of money this year on Cows,Bulls, Whiskey, Guns and Hunting Trips.........the rest of it I just plain wasted!

FWIW, some of the best selling bulls this year here in CA were hardened off range ready stuff and not the fat, fed up bulls. I don't know how you'd go about getting information on how your cattle will perform on feed but there is a market for bulls that don't get pumped full.
When you consider that the prices between hardened off and fat bulls on test was similar but the hardened bulls lived on native grass it looks like a pretty good alternative.

Do you want to make money on the bulls or break even or maybe lose a little money? Some good DNA test out now way cheaper than a bull test.

Red Bull Breeder":1k4o81cr said:
Do you want to make money on the bulls or break even or maybe lose a little money? Some good DNA test out now way cheaper than a bull test.

Please elaborate o wise one!

Few years ago it cost a little better than $800.00 a head to put a calf threw the Green Springs bull test. I figure i will cost more now. I can feed mine cheaper than the folks at the test station. I can feed them the way i want them feed so the grow without becoming slaughter steer fat. Less problems with a bull getting sick or hurt if i keep them home. Mine run in the bull pasture and get more good exercise along with grazing to keep there little bellies ready for grass. The DNA test will give you a good idea of the carcass quailties. I am waiting right now for NALF to get the DNA enhanced EPD"s ready. I can get ultra sound data if i hall about 35 miles and did cost $35.00 a head. The more we use the DNA test right now the more accurate DNA testing will get. To me the bull test thing just don't pay out. i am fairly sure i can tell if a calf is doing what it should right here at home without paying some one to tell me. Just my take on things no one else need do as i do.

RBB
You make some excellent points, we do know how our bull are performing within our herd. The value of a test is knowing how your bulls stack up against bulls from other breeders and other breeds. It also let's customers know how they stack up and that is important. I have some issues with DNA testing, we DNA tested all of our calves for parentage beginning in 2007 in 2010 I submitted a DNA sample on a calf out of a 2007 model bull and 2008 heifer it came DNA not on file. When I contacted them they said oh we do still have the samples but we are using new technology now. I said but I have already paid to have the test done,bottom line if I wanted to verify the calf they were going to charge me to retest the parents but hey don't worry they have the sample on file so I don't have to pull the blood on the parents. Needless to say I wrote letters to all Angus association board members never got a reply from any of them. I did get a call from Bryce last time I called him about it he was at the 2011 junior national show and he was going to get back with me as soon as he got back to the office. 2011 was not a misprint I am still waiting.
DNA is a good tool I did take samples of all my 2011 calves but won't be spending $ on getting them tested unless an issue comes up. Sorry I vented but I have been really frustrated with this issue you try to manage the way your association recommends then something like this happens and they stick their heads in the sand.

So I understand about using DNA but I threw my sucker in the sand on that one and am still pouting about it. My mother would tell me to put on my big girl panties and move past it, I probably will at some point but not while my mad is still on.

Gizmom

Latest posts