Will cut Horns close up?

Help Support CattleToday:

DCA farm

Reaction score
Ha a longhorn break a horn little over ear length it was jagged spraying blood like pretty bad I got her into chute took sawsall to the horn to give it a clean flush cut instead of jagged break hit horm with bluekote wrapped in Gauze and taped it up give her antibiotic and turned her out bleeding stopped not to long after I let her loose that's been a month ago now she's still taped up I'm wondering if her hollow horn will close up or will it always be hollow… just tried to fix the jagged horn before she hooked another cow with it… she was obviously tender headed but it's not bothering her anymore

Dad had a bull break a horn once and the vet cut it off close to his head, he healed up and done fine.

It's not going to grow new horn material to cover over the end, if that's what you're asking. But, it'll be dry and not bloody.
Look at bucking bull videos... those with horns have been 'tipped' so that they can't 'impale' the riders or bullfighters quite so easily - but I'll bet it still hurts to get poked with them... kevlar vests have probably saved a bunch of lives...

It's not going to grow new horn material to cover over the end, if that's what you're asking. But, it'll be dry and not bloody.
Look at bucking bull videos... those with horns have been 'tipped' so that they can't 'impale' the riders or bullfighters quite so easily - but I'll bet it still hurts to get poked with them... kevlar vests have probably saved a bunch of lives...
I tip all the cows but I beg never cut one like this

Back in the '80s, we had some dairy clients - whose main cash crop was probably not milk IYKWIMAITYD - all their cows were horned... but one day, one tore open the udder of the favorite 'pet' cow. They had us out, the next day, to dehorn the entire herd. My assistant and I took turns lopping off horns with OB wire... we'd saw 'til we gave out, then trade off. I'm sure milk production plummeted that day! Only saving grace was that it was mid-winter, so no flies to attack that many big open holes into the frontal sinuses. Guess they all healed up pretty well by spring... I don't recall having to go out to treat any.

Latest posts