Better stock up on feedstore antibiotics

Help Support CattleToday:

I am lucky. Vets are pretty available for all, but they have a lot of clients with all the dairies.
Also, clinic I use is 15 min away, have maybe 5 or 6 large animal vets. 1 is my main vet. I can text him or call with questions.
Also, I buy all my drugs thru them. Drop ship next day and discounted...cheaper than Valley Vet.
Sometimes getting something for the dogs or barn cat can be a pain. They have the 1 yr rule. I usually just ask my reg vet to look at the dogs and cat and go to the office and tell them they are healthy.

I know several people including a gal who is a vet who was on here for years, that give all the incoming cattle a shot of Draxxin. Calves coming through a sale yard where they are exposed to multiple bugs which they probably have had no exposure to and questionable vaccination programs certainly increases their chances of getting sick. They all say this significantly reduces the pulls.

I know several people including a gal who is a vet who was on here for years, that give all the incoming cattle a shot of Draxxin. Calves coming through a sale yard where they are exposed to multiple bugs which they probably have had no exposure to and questionable vaccination programs certainly increases their chances of getting sick. They all say this significantly reduces the pulls.
While Draxxin is not my drug of choice, I know several backgrounders that swear by giving calves a shot before they leave the sale barn.
Back when it first came out we gave a lot of Excede working for the sale barn vet.

One of our local feed stores has a piece of paper up that says After this law goes into Effect that ONLY Vets will be able to even give any animals shot's in the state of Missouri?? I haven't asked my vet about that yet.... Any of you heard this?? I'm wondering if they are trying to make a Run on their products? They Really Cashed in during Covid on the Ivermectin, they would sell out as fast as it came on the shelves, they had an employee that would brag about how effective it was for Covid, to anyone who would listen....

Good news. I took my German Shepherd in for her rabies shot today and asked the elderly and dear small animal veterinarian would he prescribe for my honey bees (terramycin needed for bee diarrhea). He said yes. I then asked if my dairy heifer had mastitis and I sent milk for a culture and got the results would he prescribe? He said yes. And I don't have to bring her here? (hes a small animals vet with a parking lot now but when younger he used to see large livestock) He said no don't have to see her. He did inquire about the health of my bees then mentioned he charges per bee :)

One month left until the remaining OTC antibiotics will require a prescription. Had a guy show up at the vet clinic last week. His previous vet retired 3 years ago and had stopped seeing large animals about 10 years ago. He wanted to get set up with a new vet. He has beef cattle on 200 acres. My wife asked him about catch pens and handling facilities. He said that he has a setup like an auction barn has. Said he wanted to pay the vet to come out so he would have access to vet care and meds. The vet visited and he is all set up.

This guy is 88 years old. Says he has things to do every day, every week and things to be done in 6 months. Just has to get up each day and get to it. May be encouraging that a person can still run cattle at 88 years old. My wife said he was very sharp mentally. But, I sort of hope that my cattle are gone prior to 88. Just seems like putting out hay in the winter mud, rain and cold might be too much for me at that age. But those in their 50's can look forward to 30 more years of cattle. Those in their 30's - 50 more years of fun ahead.

Last edited:
I think it will really bother me when i have to quit. Be 66 soon but can already tell it takes me longer to do things, and some things i just can't do.
Same here... and I am contemplating looking for a place down your way.... want more land and some privacy that is not happening here...Need to find a younger person that wants to "grow into a place", so when I get too old to do it, they can buy in/inherit it...and I am a few years older than you. Just getting more active on the knees now... should have done them sooner...

Two friends both in their mid 90's both atleast 94, still have cattle. One as of last year has somebody taking care of the farm and cattle for a percentage of the calves. The other has cut back some and his son helps him.
I've worried about them both for several years out feeding cattle and on tractors.

I've worried about them both for several years out feeding cattle and on tractors.
If I'm 94 and still feel like getting out on a tractor feeding cows and get killed doing it, I would think that that would be a nice way to go out. Much better than rotting away slowly in assisted living.

Dad is 87, and moves a lot slower now; he has rheumatoid arthritis, needs to have a knee replaced, but I don't think he should do it. I wonder if he could withstand the surgery. My uncle is 85, I think, he got rid of his cows several years ago, but he is still as busy now. His oldest son has about 300 or 400 head, his oldest daughter has around 150 head, and I have 65 head on his ranch. He has slowed down as well, but gets around a little better than dad. I don't think they will ever completely quit, well that is until their maker calls them home. If it was not for me dad would have sold the farm several years ago. I myself am pushing close to 60, dang, somewhere along the line I seem to be getting old, well there are more aches and pains now.

Our elderly vet that used to see large animals I think he misses it. He told me he would prescribe for my heifer if she ever needed mastitis ABX when milk cultures came back. And no he didn't need to see her once a year or ever. Actaully, he did see her when she was a week old and dying of scours and we brought her to his parking lot. He hobbled out, loooked at her and said he didn't have large animal equipment or meds anymore but get her a course of Resorb from the feedstore and tube it.

You are lucky. Out here in Oregon vets charge $200 for a Bangs vax and thats if you haul the heifer to them only on Thursday.
I'm skipping the bangs vax because I don't like rip offs. I'm never hauling her across state lines anyway. Fortunatly my dog vet will see to my cattle and honeybee ABX needs.

We have a lot of large animal vets here. NY is (?was) the 3rd largest dairy state. Our clinic has maybe 8 large animal vets plus full service small animals.
I have all my females Bruc Vaccinated. I think it costs $10
Hearing some of your stories, I feel very lucky we have such great service.

How long past the expiration date does it last. I have a fairly large bottle of LA300 that I think I bought last year. I just don't use that much. My concern is if I stock up, I may have a bunch that is past its expiration date.

How long past the expiration date does it last. I have a fairly large bottle of LA300 that I think I bought last year. I just don't use that much. My concern is if I stock up, I may have a bunch that is past its expiration date.
I have to record batch number and expiry date on any I use so once past expiry date it is no good to me whether or not it is still any good and actually I am not even supposed to have it in my drug cupboard once expired. This is all for my LPA accreditation which I need to be able to sell my cattle and I am subject to random audits.

Ken

Latest posts