Chance she will survive?

Help Support CattleToday:

Had one a couple of weeks ago. B was just dropping me of at my house. Two guys pulled in behind us and told us there was a cow down in a ditch at neighbor L's place. They tried the house but nobody was home. B took off that way calling L on his phone. Turned out that L is at another place testing bulls. That is a good half hour away. After some kind of spooky driving with direction from B the brave we got her up out of the ditch. She was totally covered with mud and water. She was laying flat. After about a minute B grabbed her tail and rolled her up on to her chest. Another minute or so and she tried to get up. B grabbed her tail and helped her up. She gave us the evil eye for a bit and then wandered off. A couple days later I talked to L and asked how she did. And I told him that he needed to give her a bath to wash off the mud. He said no bath but she calved the next day.

Well, for an update, she did not make it. She was dead under the tarp and never got up. Now I feel a little guilty for letting her suffer instead of just going ahead and putting her down yesterday. But, I did want to give her every chance to survive.
No.... don't feel guilty, beleive me...cows would rather suffer...they do indeed love life and want to live....or just die on their own without our help. My bull had standing laminitis with head down as low as his back possibly coupled/systemic of hardware disease, abcessed liver...I researched so much for every solution, not much helped....had chains ready in truck to drag my dead bull to his grave.
I didn't shoot him or sell him, everyone told me it was probably over for him as he lost 1,000. lbs...yepper, he was thin as a rail...took 3 months for his joints to heal...but he's running again and kicking up he's heels in joy when I come. He's putting weight back on and doing his bull things. Story is...upon researching...it was clear animals just want to survive even if they're on the ground unable to participate in herd games...just make things comfortable for them and leave it to God.

Latest posts