Hope she makes it!

Help Support CattleToday:

Little update: There was every indication my cow aborted, based on her messy behind and residual discharge. I searched for miles and hours but couldn't find a fetus (but a coyote could have easily disposed of it). She's so big, long & deep it was really hard to tell just by looking at her.

Surprise!!! Very nice heifer 10 days ago. Still not dismissing the possibility she slipped a twin, so my vet will examine her at appx 11 months to determine if she's a freemartin because otherwise, I have every intention of keeping her as a replacement.🤞
1647180936586.jpeg

Congrats. That is a great surprise!!!
Yes, it is!! I was heartbroken, thinking I may have to sell her: logically, not many people keep an 11 year old open cow and I was coming up with all sorts of excuses why she should be exempt. But as the months went by, I was finally convinced she was still carrying sometime in Jan. Bonus - a heifer!!!

Yes, it is!! I was heartbroken, thinking I may have to sell her: logically, not many people keep an 11 year old open cow and I was coming up with all sorts of excuses why she should be exempt. But as the months went by, I was finally convinced she was still carrying sometime in Jan. Bonus - a heifer!!!
We had a 12 year old cow that lost her calf that was underdeveloped. She's the friendliest cow, the kids named her Bob. She's kind of the mascot of the farm. We kept her and have had two really nice calves since, including a really nice heifer that will be my daughter's first cow and will have her first calf next month. She's 15 now and still will gallop into a fresh pasture kicking her heals. She will eventually be buried her someday.

We had a 12 year old cow that lost her calf that was underdeveloped. She's the friendliest cow, the kids named her Bob. She's kind of the mascot of the farm. We kept her and have had two really nice calves since, including a really nice heifer that will be my daughter's first cow and will have her first calf next month. She's 15 now and still will gallop into a fresh pasture kicking her heals. She will eventually be buried her someday.
I love that story! And her name. I have a retained heifer named Bart.