Will an all white holstein be docked?

Help Support CattleToday:

I'd admitted that I know nothing about feeder dairy steers at the salebarn. Does the steers of other dairy breeds beside Jersey, get docked because it's not a Holstein?

TexasBred":ky5iko3n said:
What if you throw a red and white holstein into the group? Will he get docked?

In my limited experience with Holsteins, he too would be a cut.

Taurus":91jgd2t0 said:
I'd admitted that I know nothing about feeder dairy steers at the salebarn. Does the steers of other dairy breeds beside Jersey, get docked because it's not a Holstein?

TexasBred":91jgd2t0 said:

In this area, yes to both, they're going to sell for much less than a well-marked *black* & white (dark brown tints rather than true black are also suspect).
Herf crosses can also go for around half price if your cow throws a red one instead of a black white-face.

regolith":2pnc2sd6 said:
Taurus":2pnc2sd6 said:

TexasBred":2pnc2sd6 said:

In this area, yes to both, they're going to sell for much less than a well-marked *black* & white (dark brown tints rather than true black are also suspect).
Herf crosses can also go for around half price if your cow throws a red one instead of a black white-face.

Even if sold for milking?? We have dairies over here that are ALL red and white holsteins. I'm not talking about some sort of cross breed but rather pure blood red and white holsteins.

ibetyamissedme":3n60ol27 said:
TexasBred":3n60ol27 said:
What I'm wondering too. Are we talking about hoofs or legs??
Just the feet, legs not included.
If you are talking the white hooves being weaker and less resistance than black hooves then I see your point but we're talking about the feeder steers and not a milking cow. How come they didnt being concerned about other cattle that has white hooves as well? Somehow I don't buy your bull manure because the sale barn do not dock the Holstein steers for have white hooves around here.

js1234":27drw7ql said:
TexasBred":27drw7ql said:

Not here. If they match in size and type a stein is a stein is a stein.
As far as I know the black ones haven't made CAB. Yet.

skeeter swatter":2wlc63rx said:
js1234":2wlc63rx said:
TexasBred":2wlc63rx said:

Not here. If they match in size and type a stein is a stein is a stein.
As far as I know the black ones haven't made CAB. Yet.

Makes sense.

TB, I was referring to bull calves.
Red and White Holsteins aren't that common here and would be presumed to be crossbreds. Crossbreds *can* make the top prices when sold as heifers/milk cows but Holstein(Friesian) is the top level, then crossbred (preferably black, or black and white) then Jersey; and other dairy breeds are very hard to sell.
For bulls, there's a market for entire Holstein calves, beef cross bulls and steers and anything else might just about put enough money in your pocket for dinner.
My Simangus heifer made $NZ88 at a week old. A well-marked Holstein/Hereford *bull* the same age could have made $200, my high index crossbred heifer calves can also make around the $200 at that age.

If you can convince your buyer that your red & white is a Holstein and not an Ayrshire or a HolsteinxJersey or something else, then you can ask the same price as the black and white Holsteins. Put her in a sale and I suspect the auctioneer is going to have his work cut out trying to sell her for that much.

Taurus":3nfs4nq1 said:
If you are talking the white hooves being weaker and less resistance than black hooves then I see your point but we're talking about the feeder steers and not a milking cow. How come they didnt being concerned about other cattle that has white hooves as well? Somehow I don't buy your bull manure because the sale barn do not dock the Holstein steers for have white hooves around here.
I am not talking about milk cows, I am talking about feeder steers, It has been proven time after time in my feedlot, that when you place Holsteins in a pen with an abrasive cement slab on a full feed high energy diet for 12 months, the steers with white feet will undoubtedly have more frequent and more severe feet problems. Almost every time I can remember when we cut the tip of the toe off it was attached to a white foot.

Now I will agree to disagree with you on this fact because I have never been to your feedlot. But this really makes me wonder what is different between our operations? I am assuming because you consider what I'm saying to be bull manure you must have personal experience in the exact same conditions, so it would be helpful to me if you could explain the difference. Similar to myself you must have Holsteins in a lot with an abrasive cement slab, and on a high energy diet for 12 months yet you have seen no foot health difference in white footed Holsteins compared to black footed Holsteins. Do you have a deep manure pack in the bedding areas? A less abrasive area along the bunk line?

Latest posts