wildebeast MCF found in texas cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

This was found at the largest breeder of Brangus cattle in texas. Not a good thing. they had to destroy a lot of cattle that had already been sold. they also canceled there angus and charlois sale. could be a bad thing in the long run

baxter78":1ts6vrln said:
plbcattle":1ts6vrln said:
This was found at the largest breeder of Brangus cattle in texas. Not a good thing. they had to destroy a lot of cattle that had already been sold. they also canceled there angus and charlois sale. could be a bad thing in the long run

Camp cooley ranch?
Thats what I heard

Angus In Texas":3jh0c7re said:
I heard that so far they have had to put down 800 Brangus heifers. I don't know if there will be more or not.

Angus is that from a reliable source? I talked with them Friday and of course nothing along that line was mentioned. I was told it wasn't transmitted from cow to cow. Keep us posted.

lord, just one more thing to think about, but knowledge is power. so thanks for the heads up.

I am sorry for Camp Cooley Ranch this has to hurt. They have built a good operation with a lot of hard work.
If the wildebeast have been on the ranch for 15 years and they are just now finding this, How long has it been there?
They said it does not spred in cattle then why are they killing 800 heifers?

alabama":2s20tiz7 said:
I am sorry for Camp Cooley Ranch this has to hurt. They have built a good operation with a lot of hard work.
If the wildebeast have been on the ranch for 15 years and they are just now finding this, How long has it been there?

According to the USDA, cattle can't spread the disease to other cattle. There is a test to see if an animal is infected and there's a high mortality rate for cattle that have the disease. They're not going to be productive while they're dying. I assume that they're putting them down because they don't want them to suffer needlessly.

I feel sorry for them, too. Mr. Berkel has a ton of money and many other business interests but he has chosen to live on the ranch. It must be terrible for him to see this happen. Camp Cooley didn't allow the exotic animals and cattle graze the same ranges. There's a very tall fence around the wildlife area. There are lots of big ranches that offer exotic animals for hunting. I wonder if this has happened before, but no one reported it like Camp Cooley?

alabama":7qe2vpaz said:

Recent report said only 6 heifers have been destroyed or died.

Camp Cooley didn't allow the exotic animals and cattle graze the same ranges. There's a very tall fence around the wildlife area.

Nose to nose contact is enough to spread snotsiekte. The explosion in the number of game farms is a causing concern here as well. The area where I farm never was a snotsiekte area, but lumpy skin diesease also wasn't normally found here, but there has been an epidemic in the Western Cape this summer. Two nearby neighbours who didn't vaccinate against it also had a few cases.

Being very carefull before bringing outside animals in is an absolute priority in ganger areas.

Camp Cooley Ranch has a letter on there website explaining the complete dispersal of everything. It is very sad to see such a big operation go down. Maybe they will build back up in the future. My opinion is why have something like a wildabeest anyways???? To risky having those exotic animals running around with there tangible diseases.

I heard about the complete dispersal yesterday..... I'm amazed it comes down to that for such a big operation. I don't know if it is a true complete dispersal or if they will keep a very small selection of cattle to rebuild with.

The disease isn't considered a threat to humans, and ranch officials say the cattle aren't sold to packing houses, so there's no danger to the food supply. :???: :secret: Does everyone just terminate them when they are through breeding them and bury them on site?

The financial loss must be mind boggling. They bought some high dollar cattle over the years. I wonder if they're selling the land, too? Or will they go commercial? They probably have embryos in their nitrogen tanks if they want to get back in the business in the future. What about their employees? Some of them live on the ranch in ranch-owned houses.

If nothing else, the cattle they destroy can probably be sold for pet food, but apparently they're planning to sell a lot of cattle at the disperson. It'll be a good chance to pick up some top quality cattle at reasonable prices.

Prices should be fairly cheap but what kind of risks are involved in bringing these cattle into your operation? How trusting can you be that the animals you purchase won't have a negative impact on your own business?

Angus In Texas":1fvqgb8i said:
Prices should be fairly cheap but what kind of risks are involved in bringing these cattle into your operation? How trusting can you be that the animals you purchase won't have a negative impact on your own business?

Angus I don't know what the incubation period is for the disease but since any cattle exposed will die from the disease AND it cannot be transferred from cow to cow the herd should be clean by sale time and should have nothing but a positive impact on your herd. Guess I'm the eternal optimist but see it as the opportunity of a lifetime.

TexasBred":2qmt84ro said:
Angus In Texas":2qmt84ro said:

Angus I don't know what the incubation period is for the disease but since any cattle exposed will die from the disease AND it cannot be transferred from cow to cow the herd should be clean by sale time and should have nothing but a positive impact on your herd. Guess I'm the eternal optimist but see it as the opportunity of a lifetime.

Well the marketability of the cattle is what scares me the most.

Latest posts