wildebeast MCF found in texas cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

They're still having the customer appreciation sale because of their committment to their customers. This is not a fly by night outfit. Berkel bought the place in 1991. After a rocky start, he's hired the best people available, in marketing, science, genetics, managment, to run this place. He's spent big bucks getting the best genetics into the herd. Even though he's got business interests around the world, he's chosen to make his home at Camp Cooley. This must be a heart breaker for him and the people working there. I hope he's able to get the ranch going again.

denoginnizer":1774yafj said:
Wonder what they will do with there alabama herd?

I believe most of the Alabama herd was brought to Texas and sold in the September, '07 sale due to the drought over in the South. The old 13 year old cow I posted pictures of several months ago was one of the cows sold but she was from Cow Creek Ranch.

Wish we could get someone from CCR on the board. Maybe we could get more facts rather than speculation.

In the letter they put out, they said that they had had to cancel two sales because of this, so they have all THOSE cattle hanging around, they have too eat the promotional costs they have had to spend on those two sales, and now they have to turn around and promote a third sale which comes after the normal Spring sale season is over. Presumably the cattle at the makeup sale would not bring as much as they would have made in the two cancelled sales and they are still feeding cattle they would otherwise have already sold plus all the private treaty bull and females sales that they have lost. Since they had to have a makeup sale anyway, and they have 1300 embryo pregnancies coming up, why not go ahead and do a dispersal sale??? IF the buyers are confident in the health status of the animals and there is no risk of spreading disease having a mature cow herd dispersal sale makes good business sense.

Brandonm22":17rn95rf said:
In the letter they put out, they said that they had had to cancel two sales because of this, so they have all THOSE cattle hanging around, they have too eat the promotional costs they have had to spend on those two sales, and now they have to turn around and promote a third sale which comes after the normal Spring sale season is over. Presumably the cattle at the makeup sale would not bring as much as they would have made in the two cancelled sales and they are still feeding cattle they would otherwise have already sold plus all the private treaty bull and females sales that they have lost. Since they had to have a makeup sale anyway, and they have 1300 embryo pregnancies coming up, why not go ahead and do a dispersal sale??? IF the buyers are confident in the health status of the animals and there is no risk of spreading disease having a mature cow herd dispersal sale makes good business sense.

As someone mentioned previously.....this is a dispersal of registered cattle...not a "going out of business sale". They be running full speed again in a couple of years. Purina furnishes all their feed. I'm sure they get it very very cheap since it's probably their largest customer and Purina has gotten the recognition all these years. Same with the folks at Ft. Dodge. Relatively speaking it doesn't cost that much to have a sale. The staff is already on the payroll. A mailout to everyone on the mailing list, printing of the sale catalog, a couple hundred ribeyes, and open bar and an auctioneer....what's $20-30,000 when you're selling millions of dollars worth of merchandise.

Having just read this entire thread, I am struck with the feelings of devastation and heartache that the CCR owners and employees must be experiencing right now! How terrible - not only for the Ranch itself and their employees and owner(s), but for the entire Brangus Breed and those producers who have their genetics in their herds.

It points out, conclusively to me, that this beef Business is not just "fun and games", as so many of us on this Forum have been attempting to project to beginners and others in the Business! Adequate and correct Management protocols are absolutely mandatory just to ATTEMPT to have a successful operation, and minimize the possibilities of calamatous occurrances which can totally destroy one's life in a moment. I don't mean for this to sound fatalistic or pessimistic, but this situation just symbolizes the necessity of proper Health and Management protocols which are part and parcel of any successful Livestock operation!

My thoughts and Prayers are certainly with CCR and any other livestock operation which is vulnerable to disastrous occurrances such as they have experienced.

For some of you who may have been considering purchasing their cattle, and are having second thoughts, be aware that it is not the end of the line for that herd OR all of their cattle! Before you throw them all "under the bus", so to speak, read and learn about the disease, and act accordingly. It may be a blessing in disguise for some of you who might not have EVER had the opportunity to upgrade your operation with such terrific cattle!

Education and Knowledge is primary to advancing your status in your business.

DOC HARRIS

Great post Doc. Here also is a direct email address for those who might want to communicate with the staff at CCR. They will answer any and all of your questions so that we don't have to continue to speculate

[email protected]

TexasBred":xaj1x36w said:
denoginnizer":xaj1x36w said:

I believe most of the Alabama herd was brought to Texas and sold in the September, '07 sale due to the drought over in the South. The old 13 year old cow I posted pictures of several months ago was one of the cows sold but she was from Cow Creek Ranch.

Wish we could get someone from CCR on the board. Maybe we could get more facts rather than speculation.

They still have cows here. It's just down the road from me.

MikeC":3rhjxvih said:
TexasBred":3rhjxvih said:
denoginnizer":3rhjxvih said:

They still have cows here. It's just down the road from me.

Maybe so but they sold a large % of them. Name of the sale was "Belles of the South" and most everything in the catalog had to do with the Alabama herd.

jscunn":6gb4vedz said:
MikeC,

I thought they dispersed thier Alabama location about 12 months ago?? What did I miss??
i don't think that was a dispersal sale. i think because of the drought,, they shipped em to texas where the bigger demand was

ALACOWMAN":2e3arsnb said:
jscunn":2e3arsnb said:
MikeC,

I thought they dispersed thier Alabama location about 12 months ago?? What did I miss??
i don't think that was a dispersal sale. i think because of the drought,, they shipped em to texas where the bigger demand was
ALA...remember the old 13 year old I posted the pick of, with the CC freeze brand? I got her at that sale but she was consigned by Cow Creek. "Grandma" bred back again last month. Will be her 12 th calf is she makes it. Has a real handsome weaned bull calf walking around now trying to act like a man. :lol:

TexasBred":236zpa9k said:
ALACOWMAN":236zpa9k said:
jscunn":236zpa9k said:
MikeC,

ALA...
  • >>remember the old 13 year old I posted the pick of,<<<
with the CC freeze brand? I got her at that sale but she was consigned by Cow Creek. "Grandma" bred back again last month. Will be her 12 th calf is she makes it. Has a real handsome weaned bull calf walking around now trying to act like a man. :lol:
cow creek has the right kind. when i get my cows tightend up im going bull shoppin' there

TexasBred":1mpix0ug said:
Relatively speaking it doesn't cost that much to have a sale. The staff is already on the payroll. A mailout to everyone on the mailing list, printing of the sale catalog, a couple hundred ribeyes, and open bar and an auctioneer....what's $20-30,000 when you're selling millions of dollars worth of merchandise.

You'd be amazed at what it costs to put on a sale of the magnitude that CCR puts on. I know for a fact that just the sale catalogs alone, if distributed with the Angus Journal, can cost upwards of $50,000 depending on the colors, pages, and such involved. When you think about it though, 18,000 people receive your catalog, so it costs roughly $3 per catalog. Now factor in marketing, meals, any extra personnel brought in for the sale, and it can easily run into the hundred thousand plus category. And CCR usually puts on sales that are two or three days long. Granted you can get it done a lot lot cheaper but you can also do it for more money as well.

jscunn":nxr4yft0 said:
MikeC,

Update: They moved off of Ray Johnstons place last month. The signs were just taken down a few weeks ago. The cows on the place now belong to Ray, the landowner.

They are now officially gone from Alabama...............

MikeC":1aehk1ta said:
jscunn":1aehk1ta said:
MikeC,

Update: They moved off of Ray Johnstons place last month. The signs were just taken down a few weeks ago. The cows on the place now belong to Ray, the landowner.

They are now officially gone from Alabama...............

I hate it that they weren't able too succeed here; BUT even though they spent a lot of money in the Alabama Cattleman's Magazine (they were the back cover at least a dozen times) they never really seemed to belong. When you think of Alabama seedstock you think of Macedon Angus, Randy Owen's Herefords, Grey Rocks Gerts, Pate's Charolais, Debter Herefords, Compton Charolais, etc. Camp Cooley never really registered mentally as being an Alabama seedstock ranch....even though we saw their ads every month.

Brandonm22":3ftg5du7 said:
I hate it that they weren't able too succeed here; BUT even though they spent a lot of money in the Alabama Cattleman's Magazine (they were the back cover at least a dozen times) they never really seemed to belong. When you think of Alabama seedstock you think of Macedon Angus, Randy Owen's Herefords, Grey Rocks Gerts, Pate's Charolais, Debter Herefords, Compton Charolais, etc. Camp Cooley never really registered mentally as being an Alabama seedstock ranch....even though we saw their ads every month.

Huh. I thought Randy Owen was an Angus breeder. :oops:

Frankie":9uobru5q said:
Brandonm22":9uobru5q said:

He has some Angus but mostly Herefords

Frankie":27iiikld said:
Brandonm22":27iiikld said:

just in the last few years,,he has been in the past. primarily reg. polled hereford and had commercial baldys. brandon you left out cow creek

Yes, I probably should have included Cow Creek and many others. Mentally, I wanted too include Twin Valley Angus; but I remember that they sold out.

Brandonm22":37iopai9 said:
Yes, I probably should have included Cow Creek and many others. Mentally, I wanted too include Twin Valley Angus; but I remember that they sold out.

Brandon, Some of the ones you listed have downsized dramatically.

Some I don't look to be in business but a couple more years.

Latest posts