Why not Red Baldies?

Help Support CattleToday:

ElginRinger

Reaction score
Why come it is...............when you see Super Baldies they are always black ? Not saying it's a bad thing but I'm curious why people don't or at least not often, put a Herf bull over some Red Brangus cows. Seems to me in these parts it would be more desirable to have the red coloring instead of black. I know black sells good here but they are of the same breeding, no? Sure seems like that cross would get you a dang nice red w/f cow.

In this neck of the woods it's because of a little thing called CAB and $$$$.
To me you are correct, there is nothing wrong with a good red baldie

ElginRinger":126hhzs9 said:
Why come it is...............when you see Super Baldies they are always black ? Not saying it's a bad thing but I'm curious why people don't or at least not often, put a Herf bull over some Red Brangus cows.
  • Seems to me in these parts it would be more desirable to have the red coloring instead of black.
I know black sells good here but they are of the same breeding, no? Sure seems like that cross would get you a dang nice red w/f cow.
they would work great dont know about the discount, if any you would take. but there would be one in my area, given both animals were the same in quality the black hide for one, plus not that many red brangus in my area. the buyers would tend to concider them just another brahman cross with the red color

There are a few breeders here in Texas. I suppose the lack of "red super baldies" here really answers my question. Everything is the same except for the color so it stands to reason that historically black pays better, which I knew.
Heck, maybe I'll start a trend...... .

ElginRinger":1ttc4pt0 said:
There are a few breeders here in Texas. I suppose the lack of "red super baldies" here really answers my question. Everything is the same except for the color so it stands to reason that historically black pays better, which I knew.
Heck, maybe I'll start a trend...... .
bet there are plenty others that would like too deep down .. as the red angus grow more and more popular, ill bet they will have their day

It makes more sense to have a lighter colored heat tolerant animal than a darker one (all things being equal).

It would be interesting to see if you could make up the economic difference with cooler skin temperatures (due to the lighter hyde color). But it would be pretty tough to do, so many other variables.

Are red brangus included in the Brangus association or are they in a seperate one?

Busterz":1lwiz0tb said:
It makes more sense to have a lighter colored heat tolerant animal than a darker one (all things being equal).

It would be interesting to see if you could make up the economic difference with cooler skin temperatures (due to the lighter hyde color). But it would be pretty tough to do, so many other variables.

Are red brangus included in the Brangus association or are they in a seperate one?

Buster...I believe it's more the genetics than the color. Those pretty white or cream colored cattle often melt down here while that old black brahman influence cow just keeps on producing. I've never done any research on it but wonder what the average body temp. differential is between the two standing side by side in 105 degree heat eating mesquite beans...not to mention body condition, reproduction and milk production.

TexasBred":17rc4dz6 said:
Busterz":17rc4dz6 said:

Buster...I believe it's more the genetics than the color. Those pretty white or cream colored cattle often melt down here while that old black brahman influence cow just keeps on producing. I've never done any research on it but wonder what the average body temp. differential is between the two standing side by side in 105 degree heat eating mesquite beans...not to mention body condition, reproduction and milk production.
you'r saying a black brangus is more heat tolerant than a red brangus? the black hide will be a few degrees higher then the red.

no...the brahman influence cow will be more heat tolerant and productive than a white or cream regardless of color.

TexasBred":3sj75er3 said:
no...will bethe brahman influence cow more heat tolerant and productive than a white or cream regardless of color.
your talking about bos taurus.. cause even within the brahman influence there will be some temp variations with color .

Brahman cattle have better sweat gland than most other cattle. The wrinkled loose skin in the neck also helps dissipate the heat.

novatech":17r89zd2 said:
Brahman cattle have better sweat gland than most other cattle. The wrinkled loose skin in the neck also helps dissipate the heat.
thats right.. but i thought he was talking black brangus versus red brangus

If I'm reading this right, ElginRinger is comparing Red Brangus to Black Brangus, not Brahman influenced cattle to any other breed. Busterz said that "all things being equal", a lighter coat color should be more heat tolerant. Given that Red Brangus and Black Brangus have the same amount of Brahman influence, shouldn't the red be more heat tolerant than the black?

Angus/Brangus":3dhnqaia said:
ElginRinger":3dhnqaia said:
Why come it is...............when you see Super Baldies they are always black ? Not saying it's a bad thing but I'm curious why people don't or at least not often, put a Herf bull over some Red Brangus cows. Seems to me in these parts it would be more desirable to have the red coloring instead of black. I know black sells good here but they are of the same breeding, no? Sure seems like that cross would get you a dang nice red w/f cow.

ElginRinger, I know that down here in the Wharton area we don't see many red baldies wether it be from Hereford, Simmental or whatever. It looks simply to be about the marketplace. And right now that's either black or Brahma. Most of the Red Angus down here was being raised for export and we really don't have too many Hereford herds.

I'm guessing you are meaning your particular part of Texas. If I am not mistaken, the state of Texas has more Herefords than any other state. I've got an old Texas Hereford Association journal that's about 5 years old or so, and it has pages of THA members, and that didn't include the polled breeders for the most part. Each year the Hereford World publishes a list of the state rankings for Hereford population, and Texas is always at the top section. I know they have the largest section in the seedstock directory. The particular journal I have has an article on a breeder who raises red super baldies using registered Hereford bulls.

Talking about breeds based on Wharton/Hungerford is like going to Mecca or The Vatican to get an idea of what religions are most popular.

When ever I ask about Red and Black Angus everyone says they are totally different. Now I understand at one point there was only and Angus breed; no seperation. But since that time many years ago the two association's has had different agendas and pursued a different type of cattle. I am sure these days you could find a lot of Red Angus and Black Angus with similarities, and I am not saying they are that different. However it is easier to get ahold of good, high performance, high marble Black Angus genetics at a decent price. Not to say those are not in the Red Angus; just not as easily accessible to the commercial breeder. Not to say that CAB hasn't made the Black gentics more popular and boosted them to where they are. Not making any bold statments here just discussion.

how would you know the difference between a red baldie and a hereford?

Latest posts