Why not Red Baldies?

Help Support CattleToday:

ANAZAZI":3a8ixe5c said:
Thank you dun, for stating the obvious! That is one great baldie!

All 3 are baldys. The first is 1/4 Simmenthal 3/4 Red Angus, the third is an F1 Red Angus Polled Hereford, the second is 3/4 Hereford 1/4 Red Angus (daughter of the third cow)

love our Red Baldies. We cross South Devon over our Herefords and get an animal that is as good as your black baldy. When we cross Hereford over South Devon we get a darker Red baldy. We can always tell a South Devon cross because the red markings always come in front of the ears. They generally don't have any white on their lower legs near the hooves.We cross these red baldies with a Brahman for their first calf and then back to a Hereford or South Devon depending on which part of the breeding program they are going into.The red baldy crossed with the South Devon will be a straight red and the Hereford cross ones will revert to a Hereford looking animal.
My argument with the South Devon society is that they have never seized on the opportunity to promote the red baldy,instead have allowed the black baldy further inroads into the beef industry.I don't belong to the SD society but belong to the user friendly South Devon Cattle Association.
Will post some pictures soon as I master the new computer and "wireless broadband"
Colin

Dun
That first heifer is one of the best cows I've seen here, if that's where your breeding program is headed your doing a great job. #3's pretty nice too.

3waycross":3l4rayz5 said:
Dun
That first heifer is one of the best cows I've seen here, if that's where your breeding program is headed your doing a great job. #3's pretty nice too.
she's nice, but i think his program from what ive seen has been in that direction awhile.

VanC":bgpy65w9 said:
If I'm reading this right, ElginRinger is comparing Red Brangus to Black Brangus, not Brahman influenced cattle to any other breed. Busterz said that "all things being equal", a lighter coat color should be more heat tolerant. Given that Red Brangus and Black Brangus have the same amount of Brahman influence, shouldn't the red be more heat tolerant than the black?

The red may have a very slightly lower rectal temp. if you're doing a test on this and checking on a regular basis, but the difference in "heat tolerance" will be minimal if even measurable. Black is just the preferred color dicated by the market in this area.

We run black brangus bulls on some of our commercial polled hereford cows. Occasionally we'll get a bull that's a red carrier & will get some red calves. Some of our heifer customers prefer black but some don't have a preference (they just want good ones & don't worry about the color). The good red steer calves will sell as well as the good blacks.

ElginRinger":3fczjugp said:
Greenwillow, is there a chance that the journal article you speak of would be online somewhere ?
You might do a search online for Texas Hereford Association, and see if they have archives. I'll try to look it up and give you a name and location of the breeder.

Went right to it! It is in Texas Hereford June/July 2002 issue. Jack and Zelda Cook of Milam County, Minerva, Texas. Nine Point Mesa Land and Cattle Company. If they are still at it...

In 2002, they had based their Red Brangus genetics from Paleface Ranch, and their Hereford bulls were coming from Granite Hills, Llano, Texas. They moved to Milam County in 1996 from West Texas. The only bulls that they considered to be comparable to Granite Hills were the Highland Hereford herd in the Davis Mountains. (I know little about GH, and nothing about Highland)

I looked around on the internet but couldn't find the articles. I'm going to subscribe to Texas Hereford so when they contact me I'll ask about it.

Thanks for your help.

Latest posts