Who's job is it?

Help Support CattleToday:

I've done it alot of different ways, most often I catch the other people cattle, get them in my pens and haul them back for them. Sometimes I call them and they come get them. If for some reason I'm really busy at the time, I'll call them and say it's there but ok until I can help, or if they want to come over and do it without me around that's fine to. I'm always very easy to get along with in the situation.

If the shoe were on the other foot and my cow or bull was in the neighbors pasture, I would want to get them myself. Mainly because my cattle are halter broke (or at least bucket broke) and would follow me anywhere. Making for an easy, quiet transfer. I would try to call them back over to the hole in the fence, otherwise I would not enter the neighbors property with out their permission first.

However if we were friends and had an understanding about entering one another's property, that would be ok too. :D

branguscowgirl":3qxe1zp2 said:
If the shoe were on the other foot and my cow or bull was in the neighbors pasture, I would want to get them myself. Mainly because my cattle are halter broke (or at least bucket broke) and would follow me anywhere. Making for an easy, quiet transfer. I would try to call them back over to the hole in the fence, otherwise I would not enter the neighbors property with out their permission first.

However if we were friends and had an understanding about entering one another's property, that would be ok too. :D

We had to neck this one, and drag it on a trailer.

When it's my cattle on a neighbor I go handle it as soon as I possibly can. The only exception is if I get in there and can't do it without running his cattle to get them out. That can be tough though as my cows are dog broke but my neighbors' cattle aren't so I have to work around what I can do without help as I won't take dogs onto a place where the cattle aren't used to it even if mine are and I'm there to get mine.
When it's them on me there's no big hurry but I handle it for them. Once I see one that's not mine I take care of them like they're a special guest... It's my chance to be a good neighbor. Most of the time they don't even know their cattle were on me unless they ask after the fact.
About the worst it's ever gotten was when I spent an afternoon chasing my neighbor's bull all over the mountain before a big storm hit and finally just kicked one of my bulls his way and fixed the fence in the rain. I called him and told him and we called it a season and traded bulls back when we pulled them three months later.

Bigfoot":61lt8xl1 said:
We had to neck this one, and drag it on a trailer.
The ones that need that I make sure that I tell the owner before I even try to get them out. I got reamed by a guy that accused me of trying to steal a cow after she died while we were loading her that way. He'd lost the lease three years earlier due in no small part to the disposition of his cattle and we got one of the worst of them in the corrals and she fought herself to death. I called him and told him and he accused me of selling his cattle so the next morning I showed up on his porch with her brand and notched ear in the flesh and told him where to stick them.

Some folks don't seem to be to much of a neighbor. They get on me I will get them up. My neighbor down the road is a 80 year old woman I sure ain't gonna treat her like a crap neighbor.

I heard a story years ago about this subject. A guy moved from the big city to the country. His neighbor was an old guy that had lIved in the country his whole life. One day the neighbor's bull got into the new guys place. He called his neighbor and said "Your bull is in my pasture, and you need to come get him out right now! " The old guy just said okay, and went and got his bull. A while later the situatIon was reversed, and the new guy 's bull was in the old country boy 's place. He called his city neighbor and said "I wanted to let you know that your bull got in my place. I got him in my pen. He has hay and water, so you can come pick him up whenever it's convenient. And if you're busy I can bring him to you." They got along good after that.

I don't know if it's true, but it's something to keep in mind when dealing with neighbors.

I have kept stray cows here for a while until the owner realized they were missing.

I had one strange thing happen a few years ago.
We had sold all our cattle, got out for a couple of years. A neighbor told me our electric fence was down and our cows were close to the road. I went to look and there was a small herd of cows, calves and a bull in that pasture. It was winter and they were healthy living on the stockpiled fescue and clover.
A cattle trader leases a pasture down the creek but had sold everything that fall, never took any through the winter. I called the land owner and asked if they were about 20 head short when they sold that fall. He said the trader said the numbers came out exact.
A few hours later the trader called and asked how many head were there. I said About 20 and a bull.
He said that was exactly how many he was missing. :D
They brought some panels and fed them up, hauled them to the sale.

My philosophy is, "My farm is my Kingdom and I am the King". In place of moats, I have excellent perimeter fence. If a neighbor will not contribute to his cost share on building property line fences, I build the fence for the security and peace of mind that I covet. I don't function well without structure, therefore, I operate under the principle that I will sacrifice my labor and money to protect and secure my property. To that end I carry liability insurance. A Trespasser, Vandal or Brother can sue you if they suffer a loss or harm on your property. Even while committing an illegal act.

I don't want anyone coming into my Kingdom without my participation. If a cow or bull gets on my land, I want to participate in the remedy. You don't get to select your parents and you don't get to select your neighbors. My objective is to put in place the controls and infrastructure that reduces the interactions with others to the maximum extent I can afford and implement.

Until this week when Johnny's bull jumped a gate and got into my open heifers, I have not had runaway or fugitive bovine since I started my operation. My cows are not going to leave the Copacabana to stay at the Super 8. :lol: Today, I am putting hot wire on Johnny's side of the fence to protect my girls. I never ask Johnny for money or effort. I simply ask for his permission.

Tim/South":zj41sfod said:
I have kept stray cows here for a while until the owner realized they were missing.

I had one strange thing happen a few years ago.
We had sold all our cattle, got out for a couple of years. A neighbor told me our electric fence was down and our cows were close to the road. I went to look and there was a small herd of cows, calves and a bull in that pasture. It was winter and they were healthy living on the stockpiled fescue and clover.
A cattle trader leases a pasture down the creek but had sold everything that fall, never took any through the winter. I called the land owner and asked if they were about 20 head short when they sold that fall. He said the trader said the numbers came out exact.
A few hours later the trader called and asked how many head were there. I said About 20 and a bull.
He said that was exactly how many he was missing. :D
They brought some panels and fed them up, hauled them to the sale.

Thats what i would have said too

Deepsouth":16q3yi0h said:
Im sure glad I have good neighbors. I'd hate to have the neighbors that some of you guys have. I'd also hate to have some of you guys as neighbors. It's a lot easier working with people than against them.

X3

We have a gate between our pasture and our neighbor in an alley. We pen the cow, then run her back into her own pasture. A friend leases the pasture around us and the land owner is careless about leaving gates open. Sometimes I find his cows wandering down the road. We bring them to our house, and put them them back in their pasture and call him to tell him when I find them out.

Latest posts