Who's job is it?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
If my cow gets out on to my neighbors place, and joins up with his herd of course. Who's job is it to catch the cow?

I know what I would do, if the neighbors cow got on me. I'd tell him it was there, and tell him not to worry about it, that I'd catch it for him. I would catch it, and then call him.

I caught a wild cow today (I know I said I was through with that), that had gotten on a neighbors place. He wouldn't catch it, and expected the owner to catch it. That's a monumental task on a strange place, with strange cows. It was young guy, that I felt sorry for, and caught it for free.

What would you do with a stray on your place?

I'd expect the owner to offer to get her out, or assist in doing it... I wouldn't want someone chasing my cows around my place without me at least being there.. I don't need my cows to get riled up or my fences broken because someone doesn't know when to let them look for the way out on their own. Ffrom what I've seen of a lot of people around here with cattle they don't have much "cow sense" and don't do the right things at the right time.. there's a time to make them move and run together, and there's a time to stop and let them figure out what you want of them... There's always the ones who'll figure out what you want and do the opposite to spite you, so it's chase them until your idea starts to look good in their head!

Nothing except call the owner once and the sheriff the next morning-- unless it was a bull I REALLY didn't want around.

We recently had one pair go through an fence and get over on the neighbors. I called him and he said no worries. I could push her back but her calf wanted no part of going back home. So she always ended up back there. He said we could catch them when he worked them. One day the calf was back home and so was the cow. So I just stretched the fence back up and added a strand. Problem solved. Until his peid bull jumped the fence over on me. I told him no problem, let the bull breed the cows and we will get him back to you. The bull went back on his own and I didn't have to haul my bull over to that property.

greybeard":2qyyv0jn said:
Nothing except call the owner once and the sheriff the next morning-- unless it was a bull I REALLY didn't want around.

That was this guys approach.

The only time I get a little nervous and in a hurry to move is,when a bull come visiting I don't want with my cows...never had to call the law.yet..don't like running other folks cattle if possible.

As far as responsibility, I'd say it's the guy that owns the cow. With that being said, when a neighbor's cattle get into one of my pastures I don't want him going in to get them without me being there. In fact, I'd rather pen the cows, separate his out, then have him come get them with a trailer. I had someone come in my pasture a few years ago with horses and dogs to get his bull back. He didn't tell me he was going to do that, just went and did it. That's a gentle bunch of cows, but after that they'd throw their tails up and head for the bushes when I pulled in the place with my truck. It took me 6 months to get them settled down.

On the other hand, if my cattle get in the neighbors place, I'll usually go in on foot and lead them back with some feed. If I know how to get in touch with him (or her), I will, but that's not always been the case.

Rafter S, we've had that happen here.. a guy just showed up and started working all the cows on horseback with dogs, big chaos and commotion everywhere, without coming telling us first.. that's a no-no... I don't enter someone's property, and especially start working cattle (even if mine are in there) without first telling the owner I'm going to be doing that..

Around here if you want to get your cow back youll go get it yourself. Nobody is gonna catch it for you. They will help though if you call them.

Be a lot easier for me to catch him rather than someone not familiar with my setup of course I'd expect him to help.

I guess in "theory" if your cow is out, it's yours to get back. If a cow was on me, it'd just be so much easier, for me to catch, that I'd just go ahead and catch it. No right or wrong answer, I just wondered how it was handeled in other parts.

I just don't want to be shot at while getting my cow! I would say it is my responsibility to get my animal out, help may be appreciated depending on the circumstances.

My bull actually got out yesterday and onto my neighbor's place. I stopped at his house first, but when he didn't answer the door after several minutes of knocking and ringing the doorbell, I drove out into the pasture, cut him out and drove him home. I have had him long enough that I can work him, but I wasn't sure how it would work if we had to use the neighbor's pens and all. I sure didn't want my Charolais bull breeding his Angus heifers, though.

I would see if the cow would come on in the corral in a quiet manner with my cattle, then sort her off and call the owner to come and get her. I would even load her up in my trailer and haul her home if need be. But I would expect him to fix the fence where she came through.

If she wouldn't follow my cattle in, all bets are off. I would put my cattle in and call him to come and get his cow. That way mine would be safely out of the way. Again, he may have some fences to fix.
I agree, I would want control of the situation on my property. Though I would be nice about it. Good neighbors are hard to come by. :cboy:

May not make a difference, but this cow crossed three farms to get where she was. All three were CRP ground. It was the closest cows to his place though. It'd been hard to drive her back. Also I'm guessing the guy uses an old tobacco barn to catch his. I didn't see a catching pen. He probably had 40-50 cows, and 25 calves on the ground. Surely he has a facility, but I never saw it.

I agree that it is the owners responsibility.... But I try to live by the Golden rule...we never know what shoes we will be in!

Deepsouth":4dwzaqw4 said:
Im sure glad I have good neighbors. I'd hate to have the neighbors that some of you guys have. I'd also hate to have some of you guys as neighbors. It's a lot easier working with people than against them.

X2222222222222222222222222222222222

This guys cow got out, because a deer hunter cut his fence. Five strands, right down the middle.

Bigfoot":33mmzyb4 said:
If my cow gets out on to my neighbors place, and joins up with his herd of course. Who's job is it to catch the cow?

I know what I would do, if the neighbors cow got on me. I'd tell him it was there, and tell him not to worry about it, that I'd catch it for him. I would catch it, and then call him.

I caught a wild cow today (I know I said I was through with that), that had gotten on a neighbors place. He wouldn't catch it, and expected the owner to catch it. That's a monumental task on a strange place, with strange cows. It was young guy, that I felt sorry for, and caught it for free.

What would you do with a stray on your place?
Only happened to me once BF and I knew it was the neighbors....just penned it with mine, cut it into the chute, loaded it and hauled it to his place which was only a half mile. We decided to rebuild the fence between our places and split the cost 50:50. Seven wire and tall...working great for both of us.

Latest posts