Who makes the best steak?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills said:
I'd have to say steaks from our beef :cboy: :???: :lol2: . Probably the best restaurant steak that I have had lately has been from a Texas Roadhouse. I've heard that a place called Malone's in Lexington is real good, but have never been there.

Wife and I get an appetizer and split the Steakhouse Fillet Salad when we go to Texas Roadhouse. The steak on that salad is consistently good. We've eaten at a Longhorn Steakhouse and found it to be good food and service. Just don't have one locally.

Son of Butch said:
The Purple Goat is a memorial name... must be Viking fans. :)

Tarleton State University there in Stephenville bleeds purple.
https://www.tarleton.edu/bleedpurple/index.html

ccr said:
Son of Butch said:
The Purple Goat is a memorial name... must be Viking fans. :)
Tarleton State University there in Stephenville bleeds purple.
https://www.tarleton.edu/bleedpurple/index.html
It figures there would be a better reason for the name existing in the Cowboy capital of the world.
thanks ccr (he said, with hands in pockets kicking a can) for bursting my bubble... :(

Bunch of goat ropers, i bet their steaks probably taste like sour grapes... :)

Rarely do we find an establishment that knows how to truly cook a good steak. Chain restaurants disappoint. Local joints tend to flip over owners too often so consistency isn't' there.

If I had to vote for one establishment that wowed me, it would be Perini's ranch in TX. I actually model some of my steak seasoning off of theirs.

ChrisB said:
But those places are mostly for the high rollers. I also have been impressed by Longhorns Steakhouse at a much more reasonable cost. And of course there is something about home grown beef too.

Same here. As I said earlier, I know there is good and bad food, but I don't know how a steak could be much better than what one would get at a place like Longhorn, especially considering the price is ridiculous on the others.

A poll of restaurants reports 57% of customers prefer steaks cooked medium or better.
24% well done, with 70% of the well done orders placed by female customers.
23% medium rare
21% medium
18% rare
12% medium well
2% blue rare

I usually order medium rare.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Well done is sacrilege.

I must say, I have started getting it medium well in the past few years, but up to that it was always well done. If it's cooked at the right temp for the proper time, it can still be a juicy, tender piece of meat. I just never cared to eat meat that looked like something from biology class rather than food. I've always felt the people who needed the rope were the ones who ate it rare. I've sat close to people a few times who got it rare. Red meat on a plate of red juice that smelled like an injury just never rang my bell.

My wife came from a family that boiled chicken and ribs before grilling them (why in the world would you do that!?). So naturally she was a well done person. I slowly broke that by saying everytime I cooked a steak, "I'm sorry hun if it is a little under what you like but I think I would of burned it if it went any longer." :lol:

I would give her the defeated look like "please don't say anything because I know I can't grill but I'm trying for you hun." :(

Well she likes them medium now (I prefer medium rare) and no matter what look I give her if it's any under medium she doesn't care about my feelings and tells me she can't eat it. Lol.

herofan said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
Well done is sacrilege.

I must say, I have started getting it medium well in the past few years, but up to that it was always well done. If it's cooked at the right temp for the proper time, it can still be a juicy, tender piece of meat. I just never cared to eat meat that looked like something from biology class rather than food. I've always felt the people who needed the rope were the ones who ate it rare. I've sat close to people a few times who got it rare. Red meat on a plate of red juice that smelled like an injury just never rang my bell.

When I was growing up, everything was cooked well done. My mother believed meat wasn't done if there was any juice left. Until I was in my mid teens I could never understand why everybody got excited about steak. Then I discovered medium :banana: Now I order mine medium rare some places, medium at others.

I have a friend that orders his extra rare. I can stand the sight of his steak alone, but anywhere they serve steak and eggs, that's what he orders. And of course he gets his eggs sunny side up. And stirs everything together. I have to make a conscious effort not to ever look at his plate - very few things can ruin my appetite, but that sight sure can...

herofan said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
Med rare for me. I will eat them rare but seldom raw although if I'm really hungry....
Seldom raw????????
I had Blue Rare one time, it was grilled so lightly I'd describe the color as purple.
I prefer medium rare, but would take medium well over blue rare any day.
Room temperature meat doesn't do it for me.
I would encourage any ordering well done to try medium well for improved flavor and tenderness.
I think many ordering well done do so out of a misplaced fear of e-coli and don't understand cooking
meats.

Latest posts