Who makes the best steak?

Help Support CattleToday:

CG1

Reaction score
We just got back from travelling in Texas and as Canadians we always hear that Texas has some of the best eats. And it is true, it was a culinary experience that did not disappoint. I made my husband order a steak at every decent place we sat down at because we always were told Texans did their steak better. And it has me curious. What country, state, etc., in your opinion puts out the best steak?

In my opinion, never had anything better than a juicy ribeye right here at home off of a 2-3 year old that was butchered while gaining on grain - and I've ate beef, pork, mutton, fowl, and fish all over the world - wagyu included. We used to butcher 12 to 18 months but found the 2-3 year old tasted better.

I've had really good steaks in Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa... but those are where I spend my time. The very best ones usually come off of some cattleman's backyard grill (I'm pretty proud of mine, too),
or some local place they take you to. But there are plenty of restaurants that hold their own.

I'm sure there are good ones to be had all over, but I do believe there's something about beef producing areas - maybe they're just held to a higher standard there.

Brazil is famous for serving beef and other meats churrascarian style... which is cooking it
rotisserie style over charcoal embers. I never been to South America, but brother-in-law has and
he said a restaurant he ate at in Brazil was great with an overwhelming array of meats, all served
off a skewers by roving waiters with large knives, which was very impressive.
I think he said full dinner service was like only $60 per person for all you cared to eat.

South America, are you for real :bs: have had steaks in south America, guess some people actually have a taste bud, best steaks that I or my family have ever ate has come from the back pasture and corn fed, bet your brother in law or even you like that new meatless whopper, has to be the best seller in Minnesota.

$60 plate....no thanks!

Don't remember the name of the place. About 35 years ago. Hotel restaurant in Little Rock Arkansas. Dang, don't remember which hotel anymore but it was a good meal. 😄 Adjusted for inflation it was probably a $60 steak.

cowgal604 said:
We just got back from travelling in Texas and as Canadians we always hear that Texas has some of the best eats. And it is true, it was a culinary experience that did not disappoint. I made my husband order a steak at every decent place we sat down at because we always were told Texans did their steak better. And it has me curious. What country, state, etc., in your opinion puts out the best steak?

Me. If you come to Southern Ohio I will make you one.

cowgal604 said:
We just got back from traveling in Texas.... it was a culinary experience that did not disappoint.
I made my husband order a steak at every decent place we sat down....
Where and what did he/you like best?

Georgia James Steakhouse in Houston boasts 2014 James Beard award winning chef Chris Shepherd.
I expect that would be a restaurant that can do steaks as well as any in the nation.

Blow a gasket, lol the thread said best, not famous, just read a little closer, always have to stir the pot, south America and BEST steak, put the readers on read the topic a little closer. 👀

A place called "The Purple Goat" in Stephenville, Texas will put you in a wagyu steak for around $14. It's probably the best I have ever had outside of homegrown. Sweet potato French fries and momma's pinto beans are really good too. My grandkids love it there. They love the steak. It's about a 45 minute drive for me but worth it.

Once a month we go to a beekeeper meeting at Tarleton State University. We are both looking forward to steak at the Purple Goat afterwards.

I guess consistantly , the stagecoach in salado texas. A full 5 course outfit with a man sized prime tbone. Only go on Friday or Saturday and make reservations. 60.00 bucks a head should cover it.

The Big Texan in Ammarilo, TX is pretty good but the experience makes it better. Leave your horse trailer out back and put the horse in the coral. Or have one of their Limo's pick you up at your hotel if not a cowboy.

Son of Butch said:
1982vett said:
$60 plate....no thanks!
Again reading comprehension.
$60 for full dinner service includes appetizers, soup/salad, unlimited main course consisting
of a dozen different meats and cuts, dessert tray and beverage.... not $60 per plate.

🤓 Didn't have any trouble comprehending a meal was going to cost me $60. If I pay that much to get fed 70% of it better be going to a charity....

2 years ago, my bother and I took a week and made our last drive together thru much of Texas and vowed to eat good steak every night. We mostly stuck to the Texas Revolution's historical places. The best we had was in Gonzales at a restaurant called GG Steaks and Spirits. It weren't inexpensive but not over the top either.

A close 2nd best was an oddly named place in El Campo. Greek Bros Oyster Bar and Grill. Wed nite around 6:30pm and it was packed...$1 an oz ribeye. One of the best I've ever had. Not a fancy place really..saw lots of working people looked like they just came out of the ricefields. They have entertainment there at night so it can get crowded and a bit noisy..my niece told me recently ya need reservations nowadays and the Wed special has gone up to $1.25 an oz.

The Western Sky in San Angelo was pretty good too. Avoid Zentner's Daughter's Rest. The original Zentner's was really great, but he closed down (or died) and (I assume) his daughter opened her own place..Huge portions, but run of the mill at best.

Worst was The Hitchin Post in Ozona. Pretty tough and way over done (goes hand in hand) but it wasn't a quality cut no matter what.

Used to be a little place near Concan that had All-you-can-eat sirloin for about $17. Can't remember the name of it, but for sirloin, it was pretty dang good and I put a big dent in the pile of meat they had.

I have not, in my part of the state, found a great place to get a ribeye, but, I do not go into Houston. Have heard there's a great Wagyu place out around Rosenberg but from what I've read, you might need to sell a kidney to pay the bill.

I had a ribeye at Big Texan years ago. It was 'ok'.

We have a place called Texas Steak and Seafood here in town......it's steak in name only. Just..........No.

My former boss had a steak Toyahashi Japan a few years ago and said "50 bucks, no flavor, the size of your palm".

ga.prime said:
backhoeboogie said:
A place called "The Purple Goat" in Stephenville, Texas will put you in a wagyu steak for around $14.
They must not know wagyu costs $120/lb.

Apparently not. They only went up $2 on their prices. Check it out. Some of the best steak eating I have ever experienced.

https://www.thepurplegoatllc.com/menu

Latest posts