Who makes the best steak?

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't know if it's the best or not, but Longhorn Steakhouse is about my speed and I like it. I used to like Ponderosa too, but none around close anymore.

Maybe my tastebuds are numb; I know there is good and bad food, but there is only so much that can be done to a piece of meat in my opinion. I had a friend take me to a place in Nashville once(can't remember the name). It was expensive, and to hear him describe it, the steak was so good I think he was expecting me to have some kind of born again reaction. It was fine, but I didn't think it was any better that Longhorn, Logan's Roadhouse, or Montana Grill, especially for the price.

I'd have to say steaks from our beef :cboy: :???: :lol2: . Probably the best restaurant steak that I have had lately has been from a Texas Roadhouse. I've heard that a place called Malone's in Lexington is real good, but have never been there.

backhoeboogie said:
ga.prime said:
backhoeboogie said:
A place called "The Purple Goat" in Stephenville, Texas will put you in a wagyu steak for around $14.
They must not know wagyu costs $120/lb.

Apparently not. They only went up $2 on their prices. Check it out. Some of the best steak eating I have ever experienced.

https://www.thepurplegoatllc.com/menu
They must be taking up the slack with those $11 hot dogs..

backhoeboogie said:
ga.prime said:
backhoeboogie said:
A place called "The Purple Goat" in Stephenville, Texas will put you in a wagyu steak for around $14.
They must not know wagyu costs $120/lb.
Apparently not.
They only went up $2 on their prices. Check it out.
Some of the best steak eating I have ever experienced.
https://www.thepurplegoatllc.com/menu
Appears the only steaks they offer are American Wagyu from Texas.
8 oz for $16 and 16 oz $32 ($2 an oz) but $11 for a Wagyu hotdog
Sounds fantastic, I'd love to go.

The Purple Goat is a memorial name... must be Viking fans. :)

Murray's restaurant in Mpls has been in business 70 yrs.
After all these years their Silver Butter Knife Steak for Two is still their most requested item.
28 oz Sirloin for $105 I've never been there. ($3.75 oz)
But it's reputation is, so tender and succulent you really don't even need a knife to eat it.

Son of Butch said:

Not really sure. The first time in I tried the quail. I didn't like it much. Next time in I had the "wagyu" and it was one of the best eating experiences (for steak) of my life.

The original post asked a question. My response is the same. We get there at least once a month during our bee meeting at Tarleton. If it were closer I would eat there more often.

If you happen to get near my little corner and are in Stephenville, its a recommendation.

In Granbury there is a hole in the wall place called "Willie and Dick's" They are known for burgers and they make some really great burgers. On Friday night (just on Friday) they have "surf and turf" with steak and shrimp. It is hit and miss. I have had awesome steak there a few times. Steak better than Cattleman's in fort worth or some of the other higher end steak houses. But it is not always perfect. The Purple Goat in Stephenville is a bit more consistent.

backhoeboogie said:
Son of Butch said:
Not really sure.
Well, purple is the Vikings color and G.O.A.T. = Greatest Of All Time.

Actually they are only the 5th winningest franchise in NFL history.
What sux to be a Vikings fan is no Super Bowl wins and the 4 franchises ahead of them:
Dallas, Green Bay, New England and Pittsburgh all have 4 or more Super Bowl wins.

Son of Butch said:
cowgal604 said:
We just got back from traveling in Texas.... it was a culinary experience that did not disappoint.
I made my husband order a steak at every decent place we sat down....
Where and what did he/you like best?

Georgia James Steakhouse in Houston boasts 2014 James Beard award winning chef Chris Shepherd.
I expect that would be a restaurant that can do steaks as well as any in the nation.

We stayed 5 nights in Galveston and then 2 in Dallas and 2 in Houston. We went on a cruise which is what brought us down to Texas but we have been trying to travel more through the US the last few years as we haven't been to many states. We stayed at the San Luis Resort and had some great meals just right there. I cannot remember the names of them :| The minute we arrived to the hotel we ordered some chicken fried steak, gravy, all the things we think of when we think of Texas!

We also visited Whataburger, because we heard it was the best burger in town. It was ok. I hate to say it but I don't eat beef :oops: so I had to rely on my husband and son to tell me how good the beef burger was haha. But we were travelling with our 2 year old and I don't attempt to bring him to anything fine dining! But I find you get some of the best meals at the most quaint of corners.

We found a lot of the meats to have a smoky taste to it. Some I could almost taste butane on. I was amazed about the size of the pork ribs, like you all are growing your pigs better haha

cowgal604 said:
Son of Butch said:
cowgal604 said:
We just got back from traveling in Texas.... it was a culinary experience that did not disappoint.

Georgia James Steakhouse in Houston boasts 2014 James Beard award winning chef Chris Shepherd.
I expect that would be a restaurant that can do steaks as well as any in the nation.

We stayed 5 nights in Galveston and then 2 in Dallas and 2 in Houston. We went on a cruise which is what brought us down to Texas but we have been trying to travel more through the US the last few years as we haven't been to many states. We stayed at the San Luis Resort and had some great meals just right there. I cannot remember the names of them :| The minute we arrived to the hotel we ordered some chicken fried steak, gravy, all the things we think of when we think of Texas!

We also visited Whataburger, because we heard it was the best burger in town. It was ok. I hate to say it but I don't eat beef :oops: so I had to rely on my husband and son to tell me how good the beef burger was haha. But we were travelling with our 2 year old and I don't attempt to bring him to anything fine dining! But I find you get some of the best meals at the most quaint of corners.

We found a lot of the meats to have a smoky taste to it. Some I could almost taste butane on. I was amazed about the size of the pork ribs, like you all are growing your pigs better haha
Quite a few years ago we were in Galveston and had a seafood meal right on the peirs. Hills Pier 19. Is it still there. It was really good.

Son of Butch said:
Brazil is famous for serving beef and other meats churrascarian style... which is cooking it
rotisserie style over charcoal embers. I never been to South America, but brother-in-law has and
he said a restaurant he ate at in Brazil was great with an overwhelming array of meats, all served
off a skewers by roving waiters with large knives, which was very impressive.
I think he said full dinner service was like only $60 per person for all you cared to eat.

There is a Brazilian steakhouse in Knoxville TN, I've ate there 2 or 3 times the steak is very good but not Super Great, It is hi-bucks $$$$, Last time, 4 or so years ago it was over $60 per head, not quite $70, but you get all you can eat, My problem is I OD on the Smoked Salmon. :lol2:

https://www.brazeiros.com/

cowgal604 said:

Hopefully your visit to Texas brings you good memories. But doggone it I would have avoided Dallas and Houston.

backhoeboogie said:
cowgal604 said:

Hopefully your visit to Texas brings you good memories. But doggone it I would have avoided Dallas and Houston.

haha we wanted to experience it! We actually enjoyed it all. It was the most at home I have ever felt in the US. We found the people to be friendly, the scenery to be nice and food to be excellent! I did a google search after I saw how much food selection there was in Texas and the state of Texas has the same population as all of Canada! Now I see why we have so little choice haha. I was also blown away by that truck stop place...Buc-ee's. Never in my life have I seen something like that!

Bucee's is indeed interesting. They have one in Florida now too. We went to Navarre Beach, Florida back in August. The grandkids saw it enroute and we had to stop. We had already stopped at the one east of Dallas off of I-20

My FT job takes all employees that have been at the company for 10 years or more out to a nice place once a year and have been able to visit some of the best steak houses in our area and they have all been amazing. But at $75-100+ a plate it should be. The things the top end places seemed to have in common is an employee buyer who hand selects sides of beef at the packing plant, corn fed, and dry aging for 28 days. I don't know how they all prepare steaks, but I talked to a waitress and one place that might be my favorite and she said they had a 1000 degree oven. Also one place buys all their cattle from one feedlot that only feeds Black Baldies. Another had a certain bull that sired all their beef. I find it interesting what they do to make sure nobody ever has a bad eating experience.

But those places are mostly for the high rollers. I also have been impressed by Longhorns Steakhouse at a much more reasonable cost. And of course there is something about home grown beef too.

backhoeboogie said:
A place called "The Purple Goat" in Stephenville, Texas will put you in a wagyu steak for around $14. It's probably the best I have ever had outside of homegrown. Sweet potato French fries and momma's pinto beans are really good too. My grandkids love it there. They love the steak. It's about a 45 minute drive for me but worth it.

Once a month we go to a beekeeper meeting at Tarleton State University. We are both looking forward to steak at the Purple Goat afterwards.

Been a while but we have eaten there. It's as good as you said. :nod:

cowgal604 said:
Son of Butch said:
cowgal604 said:

Smoky tasting meat in Texas? Surely not.. :cowboy:

We found a lot of the meats to have a smoky taste to it. Some I could almost taste butane on.
The breeze must have been blowing from the Texas City/Deer Park/La Porte side of Galveston Bay..That's where all the big refineries are..you probably saw their lights at night... looks like this and kinda smells like.............................money.

Best place up here is prime quarters in Janesville Wi, they have two grills were atleast 20 people at a time can grill there own steaks that they pick out of the cooler or have them cook it for you, all on indoor charcoal grills, they have been around for more than 40 years.

Latest posts