WHICH OF THESE 3 BULLS IS SUPERIOR AND READY TO GO TO WORK?

Help Support CattleToday:

WHICH OF THESE 3 BULLS IS SUPERIOR AND READY TO GO TO WORK?

• DONNAIL A ANGUS BULL

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • ND ANGUS ANGUS BULL

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • ROCKET2222 HERFORD BULL

Votes: 26 76.5%

• Total voters
Red Bull Breeder":2r5pp8rc said:
My coustomers want a bull that will produce calves that will grow like hades on mommas milk and green grass. They want bulls that RANGE READY and TOUGH, Not the pilsbury dough boy bulls that melt down when summer hits 100 degrees on dryed up fescue is a little hard on them kind. Fullblood limi bulls on charolais cows produce yellow calves that out sell black calves every day down here.

Oh, but if you don't pour the feed to them, they can't express their full genetic potential like steers in a feed lot. :shock: (Just forget that you are raising breeding stock that you would like to last more than a year or two.)

Also remember, heterosis is just a "myth". ;-)

ALACOWMAN":uii6p51f said:
Chuckie":uii6p51f said:
ALACOWMAN
Here, if it ain't black, you ain't gettin' nuthun' fer it. I don't care how pretty it is.
Chuckie
its not that way here. they will give a>> little <<<something for it . :lol:

Maybe that has more to do with the management skills and IQ in your area, not the color or breed of cattle. :)

iowahawkeyes":1yxqlzvx said:
lakading":1yxqlzvx said:
iowahawkeyes":1yxqlzvx said:
I don't think they are fitted at all.

ND said the local FFA kids had been practicing on his bull, and Donna's sold through a show/sale.

I guess my definition of fitted is different. To me they are clipped. To me fitted means adhesive in the legs to make the hair stand up and under my criteria they are not fitted.

You are right iowahawkeyes, there were specific rules including not being fitted (yes clipped)---no adhesive etc..the bulls there were not sold through a show, they were required to be halter trained...and i thought that was kinda cool since weve never had one!

I believe this sale was an opportunity for pure bred breeders to get advertising (JMO) and to pass on good petigree registered cattle to "commercial producers"( that the majority that are there). he already is looking less like a show bull :lol: tje sale is sponsered by university of illinois and anyone here can look up the sales history on line.

i will post some pictures in the fall. we picked this bull to compliment our herd. excuse my typing..one handed. donna

ps i did not vote

Red Bull Breeder":3682rkmw said:
I have not voted for any of the three bulls, None of them are ready for heavy service, Not old enough, however they should get some cows bred. As far as nd bull being easy fleshing he feeds the bull a 5 gallon bucket of grain a day. If i have to put that much feed in a bull aday i don't need him.

I'll second the motion, none of these bulls are ready to work in my climate.....Yes they would get some cows bred, but they would fall apart quickly...Here on the Gulf Coast that bull had better be at least 2 years of age or older no matter what his breed, you might get away with it in those cooler climates,but not here. Some people like to change bulls yearly or ever couple of years. Usually I can get about 5 years of service out of a bull if I dont push him in his first season

Latest posts