Which Diesel?

Help Support CattleToday:

Limomike

Reaction score
Ford 7.3Ltr or Dodge 6 cylinder on an older (99 or 2000) truck? Any opinions on which will outperform the other?

Boy, this topic oughtta get some backs up :)

The 99 Cummins had more torque and HP than the 7.3 Powerstrokes of the era. They are also more fuel efficient, and will, as a general rule of thumb last longer than the 7.3 (which is no slouch either).

Loaded performance, the Cummins will outpull the 7.3, especially in the hills.

Rod

I've run both.
Not so much dif in power.
Biggest dif.is in mech. bills., cost like crazy to keep up that 7.3. I haven't spent a dime on the cummins after 300,000 miles.
We just don,t have to talk about the rest of the truck.

I run a 1997 ford 250 7.3, no problems so far, it gets the job done.

I bought a Dodge 2001 4x4 dually diesel and my dad had a 2001 Chevy 2500 with the 8.1 big block and his gas motor embarresed that Cummins diesel pulling a load. Fuel mileage was comparable also, he was getting 12-14 mpg and so was I. I might have just had a bad one, but I didnt keep it long, all I ever heard about was how good a Cummins pulls and gets 20 mpg while doing it. Maybe so, but not the one I had.

tulsagreenhorn":11eo0rhs said:
I bought a Dodge 2001 4x4 dually diesel and my dad had a 2001 Chevy 2500 with the 8.1 big block and his gas motor embarresed that Cummins diesel pulling a load. Fuel mileage was comparable also, he was getting 12-14 mpg and so was I. I might have just had a bad one, but I didnt keep it long, all I ever heard about was how good a Cummins pulls and gets 20 mpg while doing it. Maybe so, but not the one I had.

Mine got 15 mpg without a load, sometimes 16. It didn't make 60K because the front end was gone. I understand they do better on the mpg with age.

I have a 96 Dodge with a Cummins and get 20 mpg and 16 pulling a 20 ft gooseneck, if you do some modifications on it they will go 24 mpg. Mine is only rated at 180 hp, but can easily put out 300 if you reset the timing and put a different fuel plate in. We have a Chevy with the 8.1 and I'd dissappointed in it, doesn't pull as well as it should for that size engine. I have 200K on mine right now and it has only had the track bar replaced.

They all have their good and bad points it really comes down to what you like.

Bobg

Bobg":3jtcpepz said:
I have a 96 Dodge with a Cummins and get 20 mpg and 16 pulling a 20 ft gooseneck, if you do some modifications on it they will go 24 mpg. Mine is only rated at 180 hp, but can easily put out 300 if you reset the timing and put a different fuel plate in. We have a Chevy with the 8.1 and I'd dissappointed in it, doesn't pull as well as it should for that size engine. I have 200K on mine right now and it has only had the track bar replaced.

Bobg
What kinda modifications will get you 24mpg?

CowpokeJ":3bkkkdwl said:
Bobg":3bkkkdwl said:

Bobg

Falling off a cliff with it running :lol:

CowpokeJ":3nrsnj2o said:

Cowpoke, that 24 mpg figure is only possible with the 1996 - 1998 5 speed equipped truck. You bump the pump timing to 15 degrees, disable the turbo wastegate, and set the AFC to be a little more aggressive than stock. Assuming the injectors don't have 150,000 miles on them, you'll be in the 22 mpg average range. A few of my customers managed 24 (hand calculated) at sea level unloaded, but it wasn't the most common result.

Other engines (94 and 95 5 speeds, 94, 95 autos, 96-98 autos) utilized a different pump, camshaft and injectors, so 24 mpg wasn't possible except in very rare circumstances. 20 - 21 was often attainable on older injectors though. I did install a few sets of F1 diesel injectors on the "off model pumps" and managed to get as high as 24 mpg, while dynoing 350 HP.

Even the 24 valve trucks were able to hit 24 mpg. You needed a nicely balanced set of injectors (stock wouldn't normally do it), and a timing/fueling box that was very aggressive on timing. I preferred Edge with my fuel economy customers, but the TST often worked well. My 2001 cab and chassis dynoed a consistent 450 HP, but at 70 mph cruising speeds I would get 22 - 24 mpg in the US. Canadian economy was worse, even with our larger gallon, due to the poorer quality diesel up here.

If you have a 1998.5 - 2002 Cummins and your economy is consistently below 18 mpg unloaded while at or near sea level, have your lift pump fuel pressure checked. Once you dropped below 10 or 11 PSI at idle, your mileage would begin taking a hit. I'm talking summer fuel. Winter fuel will automatically mean a drop in economy.

Rod

I have a 94 Dodge 4x2 2500 Cummins Turbo w/ Auto sitting at 217k miles. I regularly get 18mpg in mixed driving calculated at the gas pump. On tanks where a large amount of the mileage is on the interstate, I get around 24 unloaded. This is roughly at 400ft above sea level.

thanks for the responses.. but havent heard too many about the Ford 7.3 diesel.. anyone else running with one of those?

I am running a 7.3. A 2003 to be exact. Its awesome gettin 18 MPG around town an on the highway. I love my Ford. I just feel Ford builds a better overall truck then Dodge. It will just hold up better over the long haul. Although the Cummins is good. I never did like the truck package it was wrapped around. Just my opinion an mine only. Get a Ford you will be happier overall with it then the Dodge.

Latest posts