Which Continental Breed

Help Support CattleToday:

Simmenthal over charolais or limi. Gelbvieh over charolais or limi. Gelbvieh and simmenthal is a wash

dun

Dun,
i guess one question that needs to be addressed in looking at which one is if replacements will be kept or if using for terminal.
that is kinda why i placed simmis against gelb and char and lim.

i agree on your selection order and use to think the same thing on simm and gelb as a wash, but now lean more to simm due to better carcass.

Diehard40":2fvwua8z said:
Dun,
i guess one question that needs to be addressed in looking at which one is if replacements will be kept or if using for terminal.

i agree on your selection order and use to think the same thing on simm and gelb as a wash, but now lean more to simm due to better carcass.

That's where I have a problem too. I've never had a tender Gelbvieh steak, but they all came from the same gene pool and they didn;t marble worth squat. But from the general udder quality I've seen I'ld have to put Gelbvieh over Simmenthal

dun

Diehard40":25v6c1je said:
Dun,

just curious what you mean by better carcass....marbling, ribeye, fat thickness?

jnowack":38568mjz said:
Diehard40":38568mjz said:
Dun,

just curious what you mean by better carcass....marbling, ribeye, fat thickness?

Marbling and tenderness from my point of view

dun

jnowack
i would say ribeye would be a wash
but marbling will be a little better.
In general simmental likely to grade higher than Gelb.
I know i'm gonna get ripped by Gelbv guys for this.
But the unbiased reports i've seen state that Simmental grade better than Gelb.

Diehard40":bwb1p629 said:
jnowack
i would say ribeye would be a wash
but marbling will be a little better.
In general simmental likely to grade higher than Gelb.
I know i'm gonna get ripped by Gelbv guys for this.
But the unbiased reports i've seen state that Simmental grade better than Gelb.

Semi's may have an advantage marbling and more tenderness genes on average. I would think that you would get a little more muscle with the gelbvieh. I also think the gelvieh will give you a little more performance and feed efficency and that they will mature quicker and the gelbvieh cross replacements will be more moderate in their mature size.

disagree on the maturing and moderate size.
looking at simmental now you don't see too many over the frame score of 7. and i think they follow right along with other continentals on maturity. I personally know quite a few that have matured a little too early.

Diehard40":b9ib3gll said:
disagree on the maturing and moderate size.
looking at simmental now you don't see too many over the frame score of 7. and i think they follow right along with other continentals on maturity. I personally know quite a few that have matured a little too early.

There are some very good simmental out there. When we started getting out of the herfords we looked at Gelbvieh and Simmental before deciding on the Gelbvieh. The Semi breed has changed it's image a lot since then and has taken a lot of frame off. The ones I see around here are still typically a little larger at maturity than the Gelbvieh, but I have also seen some Semi's that are really early maturing.

char over limis by a landslide but simmies and gelbs are about equal in my book I do like the fact that gelbs have been less influenced by club calf breeders though so that gives them the edge.

Why not Pinzgauers? You will improve milk in any retained heifers. You will improve meat tenderness, yeild, REA. Docile easy to keep.

paul swisher":1ndz2yb4 said:
Why not Pinzgauers? You will improve milk in any retained heifers. You will improve meat tenderness, yeild, REA. Docile easy to keep.
I would really question the improved milk production over the Simm & Gv breeds.
Of course, there are so few Pinz, I haven't seen any reports out of MARC. In a list dating back to 2001, there were 19 beef breeds listed by numbers & Pinz wasn't even listed. Lowest # were So Devon, than Red Poll, Braunvieh, Chi, Longhorn, Gerts, etc. Maybe they have had a tremendous jump in numbers since than, but there still has to be a very small gene pool.
You all know I would pick Simm as a maternal AND carcass breed. Hard to beat the new moderate framed Simm.

paul swisher":1nmh7gcv said:

As much as I like the animals, I wouldn't dare use a pinz bull on my commercial cows. Not enough acceptance by buyers in this area. You can count on a 10 cent knock, sometimes more. For the most part, I blame the breed for this: lack of advertising and when it does happen there is no focus on what they could do for the beef industry, just the latest and greatest show animals. And, in my opinion, not enough focus on polled animals.

As for the breeds mentioned, not fond of charlais or limis, and its a toss-up between simmi and gelbvieh. I bought one of each recently to put on two similar groups of cattle to do a head-to-head comparison on my conditions.

cfpinz

cfpinz":1gg4xjy2 said:
paul swisher":1gg4xjy2 said:

As much as I like the animals, I wouldn't dare use a pinz bull on my commercial cows. Not enough acceptance by buyers in this area. You can count on a 10 cent knock, sometimes more. For the most part, I blame the breed for this: lack of advertising and when it does happen there is no focus on what they could do for the beef industry, just the latest and greatest show animals. And, in my opinion, not enough focus on polled animals.

As for the breeds mentioned, not fond of charlais or limis, and its a toss-up between simmi and gelbvieh. I bought one of each recently to put on two similar groups of cattle to do a head-to-head comparison on my conditions.

cfpinz

That's the only knock I can see with them. No matter how heavily muscled they are, the stripe allows the buyers to label them longhorns. I know that they know better, most of them anyway, but anyway they can get an animal for less money is all the sme to the buyers.

dun

Depends on the operation, large herd of heifers first calvers I would go limousin if you have 30 cows on a small Ranch you could use a higher birth weight bull if you have the time to watch over them, charolaise latter maturing then either Gelbvieh or Limousin, Limousin more moderate fram , not realy impressed with modern Simmi, watered down Angus genetics, maybe original would be a better pick for crossing with e.g Angus,=black baldies , Gelbvieh are only good if you have top class country as soon as it gets tough they turn into bags of bones, bigger framed cattle e.g Charolaise are higher maintenance, need better feed/more of it, Charolaise cows are not good do,ers. Feed conversion to muscle with early maturing and a moderate fram with hardiness you cant beat Limousin. ;-)

Latest posts