Which Continental Breed

Help Support CattleToday:

i have a small braunvieh braunvieh cross herd cant really decide on what kind of bull i want to use next year. between simm, simmbra or black beefmaster. really leaning towards black beefmaster. i think beefmaster braunvieh would make a great replacment heifers. plus good steers just wanted to see what everybody on this board would choose besides angus.

Personally I wouldn't use any breeds that have some ear in them (i.e. Beefmaster, Brangus, etc.) unless you are in the deep south and really need the heat tolerance.

Though you requested breeds other than Angus, I think they cross really well with Braunvieh. The steers are grow well and hang great carcasses, and the females make good mama cows.

This might give some indication of grading potential of Charolais Crosses:

Preliminary results are back on the 2003 to 2005 Charolais Conception to Consumer program. To recap there were 72 calves sired by the 3 tested bulls. The make up of the commercial test herd was mainly straight-bred Red Angus. The calves were fed at Cattleland Feedyard at Strathmore with a series of new tests included in the research. The calves were subjected to the regular performance testing as well as the GrowSafe net feed intake system. DNA testing for the Igenity Leptin and TenderGENE were also completed. Preliminary grading results were very favourable. The Charolais – British cross product resulted in a very high percentage hitting the top quality and yield grades.

80.28% grade AAA=Choice

19.72% grade AA=Select

40.84% yield grade 1

45.07% yield grade 2

14.08% yield grade 3

UG":38jfpp6j said:
Personally I wouldn't use any breeds that have some ear in them (i.e. Beefmaster, Brangus, etc.) unless you are in the deep south and really need the heat tolerance.

Though you requested breeds other than Angus, I think they cross really well with Braunvieh. The steers are grow well and hang great carcasses, and the females make good mama cows.

I took this thread to be an extension of the other thread, ie:

you name it they all have seen their time in the sun as the breed of the month. Who will be next? Or will we see some of these other breeds pick back up in popularity again?

Why wouldnt you think Brangus would be good. I think they are going to be on fire in the future, even if maybe not the near future. Most of this is marketing anyway and I think they are the closest. I think Herfeors is the next closest, but has the marketing disadvantage of not beign able to capitalize on what CAB has done at all.

3MR":1v3271sn said:
Why wouldnt you think Brangus would be good. I think they are going to be on fire in the future, even if maybe not the near future. Most of this is marketing anyway and I think they are the closest. I think Herfeors is the next closest, but has the marketing disadvantage of not beign able to capitalize on what CAB has done at all.

Im sorry, I missed what you were responding too.

Its 0230 AM here and I am well into my Friday night or Sat morning as the case might be

3MR":2zcmaf22 said:
UG":2zcmaf22 said:

I took this thread to be an extension of the other thread, ie:

you name it they all have seen their time in the sun as the breed of the month. Who will be next? Or will we see some of these other breeds pick back up in popularity again?

i thought they have been on fire?

1) Char 2) simm 3) gelb 4) limo

although...when i was a teenager, a family friend thought he'd get rich feeding out charolais cattle and it about broke him. now that he's retired, he always says that they're just TOO big to feed out! i'm not as wise about feedlots as most of you boys are, so don't yell at me if that's not the case, it's always been his excuse.

circlet":29hex2bd said:

although...when i was a teenager, a family friend thought he'd get rich feeding out charolais cattle and it about broke him. now that he's retired, he always says that they're just TOO big to feed out! i'm not as wise about feedlots as most of you boys are, so don't yell at me if that's not the case, it's always been his excuse.

why do you pick Lim. Last in your thought process.

trin":jq6q3tga said:
i have a small braunvieh braunvieh cross herd cant really decide on what kind of bull i want to use next year. between simm, simmbra or black beefmaster. really leaning towards black beefmaster. i think beefmaster braunvieh would make a great replacment heifers. plus good steers just wanted to see what everybody on this board would choose besides angus.

Try Murray Grey! ;-) :cboy:

honestly, i have a friend who is just real big on the gelb's and he's kind of beginning to influence my opinion, although i have no real experience with them. i'm NOT the breeds expert, just had a bad batch about 3 years ago that seemed to have alot of limo in them, so i put gelb in front of limo.

i am more knowledgeable about herefords as far as breeds goes. but ultimately, when it comes down to it, i try to buy good cattle (of any english/cont. breed) and raise and market them the right way.

3MR":1fpufr43 said:
circlet":1fpufr43 said:

why do you pick Lim. Last in your thought process.

3MR":gnwsy17d said:
I think Herfeors is the next closest, but has the marketing disadvantage of not beign able to capitalize on what CAB has done at all.

CHB has grown by over 30% per year since it's inception. That's doubling every 2.5 years. It was started 15 or so years after CAB and it is harder to find cattle without Continental or brahman breeding to start with. It will become a major player in another decade as it routinely wins award after award for quality, e.g. Best Restaurant Beef in America several years out of the last ten.

CHB is not a copy of CAB. They are very different programs. The biggest similarity is they were both conceived to increase demand for their respective breed's bulls. The AHA saw that so many "studies" put Herefords down the list on carcass quality and that Herefords were being docked at the sales just because they were Herefords, but they knew Hereford beef was among the best. So they had Colo St do a study comparing Hereford beef to commodity USDA Choice beef on tenderness, juiciness, and flavor (real eating qualities). They found that Hereford beef at Select grade was as good as or better than USDA Choice. They had so much confidence in the breed that they set up the program such that any animal of good health that is at least 50% Hereford and the rest another British breed will qualify for the program. You get the premium before the calf is even fed. Think about that. CHB is an excellent program and is growing rapidly.

CAB is based on quality grade. CHB is based on Hereford beef. Basically, the Hereford breeders knew that all the negative propaganda about Herefords is a bunch of bullbenice and they called the feeders' and packers' hands on it. And I'm proud of 'em for it. :cboy:

I am not a big fan on any European breeds.

This is what I think

European Breeds=Wild, crazy, and nuts.
British breeds=Doctile, good tempperment(Herefords that is, no t Angus) and frame scores on British breeds are more what the ideal commerical seedstock producer is looking for. European breeds, you have to feed them more to finish them out to go to slaughter. Where as, a Hereford, Angus, of Black Baldy, can be finished at 1200 lbs. Where as a European, more frame, bigger cuts of beef, which meatpackers don't like, and a lot more waste to the European breed.

So you get more out of a good british cross, Hereford or Angus, then you do out of the European Breeds. I have studied this very much and I do know my facts. I have a sluaghter house about 5 miles from me that prefers British breeds over Europeans, because of what I just explained to you. :cboy:

Hill Creek Farm":2bib28wq said:
Where as a European, more frame, bigger cuts of beef, which meatpackers don't like, and a lot more waste to the European breed.
So.....meatpackers don't like continentals and there's more waste to them? :cboy:

Hill Creek Farm":2e3bzxan said:

This is what I think

British breeds=Doctile, good tempperment(Herefords that is, no t Angus) and frame scores on British breeds are more what the ideal commerical seedstock producer is looking for. European breeds, you have to feed them more to finish them out to go to slaughter. Where as, a Hereford, Angus, of Black Baldy, can be finished at 1200 lbs. Where as a European, more frame, bigger cuts of beef, which meatpackers don't like, and a lot more waste to the European breed.

So you get more out of a good british cross, Hereford or Angus, then you do out of the European Breeds. I have studied this very much and I do know my facts. I have a sluaghter house about 5 miles from me that prefers British breeds over Europeans, because of what I just explained to you. :cboy:

I don't know which breed u are getting the "wild and crazy" from- but most of the simmentals we have are very docile.

I think one of the best crosses out there is sim-angus. We have a bunch of awsome steers on our feedlot right now made with this combination. (I am talking about the more modern red and black simmys- not the original.) They seem to add alot of muscle and thickness to the angus. And we had pretty darn good calving ease for the most part as well with our last simmy bull.

Texan":272s644c said:
Hill Creek Farm":272s644c said:
Where as a European, more frame, bigger cuts of beef, which meatpackers don't like, and a lot more waste to the European breed.
So.....meatpackers don't like continentals and there's more waste to them? :cboy:
My meatpacker said that it takes longer to feed out European Breeds of Beef Cattle. Then he stated that on the rail, they don't dress out as good as some Angus or Hereford influenced cattle. Now, what I forgot to add was, if you breed a Hereford or Angus bull on say Limos or Chars, then it will bring frame score off the carcass, and the cuts of beef will fit the demand for the market that the meatpackers are looking for. :cboy:

farmerD44":3ntiutod said:
Hill Creek Farm":3ntiutod said:

This is what I think

I don't know which breed u are getting the "wild and crazy" from- but most of the simmentals we have are very docile.

I think one of the best crosses out there is sim-angus. We have a bunch of awsome steers on our feedlot right now made with this combination. (I am talking about the more modern red and black simmys- not the original.) They seem to add alot of muscle and thickness to the angus. And we had pretty darn good calving ease for the most part as well with our last simmy bull.
I have a fear of European cattle. My great-grandfather raised Chars and they were registered and my grandfather remembers in the 70's when they had them, that the Chars were the craziest breed to be around. I have been around a lot of different breeds. Limousin, crazy and will put you on teh ground if you even look at them wrong; chars the same way. Simi's, well, there not as crazy as the chars or limi's, but they have some wild blood in them. Maines and Chi's, crazy as heck. Angus, yes I know there British, but they can also get strong headed. Hereford, very gentle, peaceful animals that have the best disposition than any other breed I have ever been around. Horned Herefords I wil admit are sometimes strong headed and hey will show you how they can use those horns. :cboy:

Kent":1ab9wu8g said:
3MR":1ab9wu8g said:
I think Herfeors is the next closest, but has the marketing disadvantage of not beign able to capitalize on what CAB has done at all.

CHB has grown by over 30% per year since it's inception. That's doubling every 2.5 years. It was started 15 or so years after CAB and it is harder to find cattle without Continental or brahman breeding to start with. It will become a major player in another decade as it routinely wins award after award for quality, e.g. Best Restaurant Beef in America several years out of the last ten.

CHB is not a copy of CAB. They are very different programs. The biggest similarity is they were both conceived to increase demand for their respective breed's bulls. The AHA saw that so many "studies" put Herefords down the list on carcass quality and that Herefords were being docked at the sales just because they were Herefords, but they knew Hereford beef was among the best. So they had Colo St do a study comparing Hereford beef to commodity USDA Choice beef on tenderness, juiciness, and flavor (real eating qualities). They found that Hereford beef at Select grade was as good as or better than USDA Choice. They had so much confidence in the breed that they set up the program such that any animal of good health that is at least 50% Hereford and the rest another British breed will qualify for the program. You get the premium before the calf is even fed. Think about that. CHB is an excellent program and is growing rapidly.

CAB is based on quality grade. CHB is based on Hereford beef. Basically, the Hereford breeders knew that all the negative propaganda about Herefords is a bunch of bullbenice and they called the feeders' and packers' hands on it. And I'm proud of 'em for it. :cboy:

Which is why it would have the distinct dissadvantage of not being able to capitalize on what CAB has done. A cross being the exception.

Im saying anything against what CHB has accomplished.

Just about every breed organization has done a study which says they taste better. You can interpret data to mean just about whatever you want it to.

Hill Creek Farm":t39wxuoo said:

This is what I think

you have no idea :roll:

topsquar":3lnd4p8t said:
Hill Creek Farm":3lnd4p8t said:

This is what I think

you have no idea :roll:

I think you need to get out of the valley :)

Latest posts