Which Black Angus bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

WisRose

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with any of these Select Sire bulls? BAR EXT Traveler 205,Bon View New Design 208, TOSU Mick 9301, Rito 6I6 of 4B20 6807, SS Decatur 55H, CSU Aggie Emulation 2144? Reason I'm asking is I'm trying to pick a calving ease sire with good temperment and maternal qualities. Thanks :D

EXT can be a ill temperment bloodline. The 6807 bull I've seen breeders use on heifers.

anything with EXT or emulation you might need to watch out for. Traveler, new design, and those such bloodline are fairly docile and make some good cows.

I know that there are people that will argue w/ the fact that EXT calves have a bad attitude but, I have seen it first hand.

Just out of college and was trying to get an EXT cow to let her calf nurse. No chute. Next thing I know she put me thru a home made board gate. Broke 6 of my ribs. Lost my job cause I missed the next 2 days of work.
Avoid EXT and anything with his blood in their veins.

WisRose":3g4m7vnr said:
Does anyone have any experience with any of these Select Sire bulls? BAR EXT Traveler 205,Bon View New Design 208, TOSU Mick 9301, Rito 6I6 of 4B20 6807, SS Decatur 55H, CSU Aggie Emulation 2144? Reason I'm asking is I'm trying to pick a calving ease sire with good temperment and maternal qualities. Thanks :D

An opinion:

I haven't used any of these bulls, but have seen quite a few of the BAR EXT cattle. They have looked good and sold well. 6I6 is a proven heifer bull, but I was disappointed in the one bull calf that we bought as a pair. Decatur is a Fame son; I don't use anything with Fame or Fortune 2000 in his pedigree. We used New Design 036 for years (still have a few straws) with great success. I'd look long and hard at the 208 bull just because of his pedigree. Some people will knock EXT's disposition, but he makes great momma cows. Why would you use a son of BAR EXT instead of him (Mick)? Quite frankly, on the Aggie Emulation bull, those are genetics I'd like to see further back in a pedigree. You can find bulls with more growth plus calving ease today than 5522 and 23-4, though they were great in their day.

Thanks for the replies! The reason I need to ask is because I have no idea whose who or what's what in any breed :lol: . I only have a Select Sires AI tech. available in my area and these are some of the bulls available. Beef isn't real big around this area although the breeder said he is getting more and more beef customers every year. I really never knew much about EPD's until I got the bull catalog and started reading things posted on this board. I would just like to become a little more educated on bull selection and who better to ask than those with experience. Just looking for a bull for my heifer calf who's picture is posted under the "my black baldy cow" post. I'm open for suggestions too :D .

I have two bulls that are both out of BR New Designs 036 and they are great. HAve sold all their heifers for replacements to friends and they want more. One dam is GAR Bando 522 and the other is out of A Plus Lucy.

Scotty

I'd look long and hard at this bull if it was my heifer. Just a suggestion though.

Rito 6I6 of 4B20 6807

7AN194 12530601 *
Sire: DHD Traveler 6807
MGS: Tehama Bando 155

* The Industry Leader for Consistent Results
* Over 5600 scans prove his ability to add positive carcass improvement for quality and yield
* 6I6 offers tremendous customer satisfaction with good-doing, gentle-natured cattle that are born easily, grow fast, and make efficient, easy-fleshing females and super feedlot performers
* Top 10% BW, Top 20% YW, Top 20% IMF, Top 25% %RP Top 15% $F, Top 10% $G, Top 10% $B

7AN00194fRITO616.jpg
[/img]

**sorry Frankie I didn't see your post about 616 not being a proven heifer bull. But for a commercial herd, I still see potental in him.

Frankie what do you have against the fame bloodline? I have used a son of his AI on heifers for 4 years now?

pat

PATB":wwnycj5c said:
Frankie what do you have against the fame bloodline? I have used a son of his AI on heifers for 4 years now?

pat

Fame's sire (Fortune 2000) is known to throw white. We used Easy Fortune (another 2000 son) one year on heifers. Had some good looking bulls and all were registerable, but they had more white on them than I like. Fame bulls also don't seem to sell well in our area, even those that test well at the test station don't seem to bring as much money as other bulls with similar performance. There are lots of good bulls available, so I can be picky about which bulls I use. If I were breeding commercial heifers, I wouldn't hesitate to use Easy Fortune on them, if he's still available. I didn't see him in the last ABS catalog that I received. All the calves were born easy and grew very well.

What about Pfred? In this area he really gets used a lot on commercial heifers. I had some in the tank from a program that I was going to do a couple of years ago and sold most of it to guys that needed and hadn't been (your term here) enough to order it before hand.

dun

dun":2hmlp3kq said:
What about Pfred? In this area he really gets used a lot on commercial heifers. I had some in the tank from a program that I was going to do a couple of years ago and sold most of it to guys that needed and hadn't been (your term here) enough to order it before hand.

dun

We used Pfred some last spring on heifers that we expected to sell. He's been around for a while, well established, proven, and a heifer bred to him seems to sell well. As it turns out, we'll be calving out some of those heifers this spring, so I'll let you know if we have any problems. He's a big framey bull; maybe too big. And I have heard some negatives on daughter's udders. But none of them are perfect. Do you know anyone using TC Advantage on commercial heifers? My ABS rep said he sold a lot of him.

Frankie":3spx0oi5 said:
Do you know anyone using TC Advantage on commercial heifers?

Nope, the only reason I know about Pfred is because I had semen on hand and the ABS rep and the vet steered folks my way.

dun

We used PFred on our B w/f heifers last year. Highest birthweight was one at #86, the rest averaged #73. Nice frame, fair muscle, could use a little more depth I think, some of our heifers are a bit shallow tho too, but they are the most mellow bunch of calves we have had. Used more of him this year also. I am thinking of AI ing the Pfred heifers to Brooks EXT, to keep good frame and improve the udder quality. I am also looking at Connection and In Focus from ABS.

Frankie":mmqsmhc0 said:
PATB":mmqsmhc0 said:

pat

Fame's sire (Fortune 2000) is known to throw white. We used Easy Fortune (another 2000 son) one year on heifers. Had some good looking bulls and all were registerable, but they had more white on them than I like. Fame bulls also don't seem to sell well in our area, even those that test well at the test station don't seem to bring as much money as other bulls with similar performance. There are lots of good bulls available, so I can be picky about which bulls I use. If I were breeding commercial heifers, I wouldn't hesitate to use Easy Fortune on them, if he's still available. I didn't see him in the last ABS catalog that I received. All the calves were born easy and grew very well.

I had a couple of Fortune 2000 sons that I used on both heifers and cows-Am really impressed with the replacements I kept from them- moderate framed but good muscle and depth- almost blocky compared to some of the other heifers that were daughters of a Blockbuster son- Fortune daughters were much easier keepers- held their condition well thru both the summer and our record winter--But being commercial a little white now and then doesn't bother me- about half my cows are black baldies anyway........

Frankie said:
I don't use anything with Fame or Fortune 2000 in his pedigree.

I also am not a fan of Fame. Even though alot of his genetics were used around here. And he was a herd sire in the area. Found that bulls raised in the state on test and private tests didn't do well some did ok of course, but a lot of people hated his sheath and carried on to the offspring. I had a couple of sons and daughter by him and wasn't impressed. The bull didn't do well on test and the other didn't even make it as a bull prospect. And the daughter isn't a meaty or growthy girl at all.

Latest posts