Where to move to.....

Help Support CattleToday:

Double R Ranch

Reaction score
We are starting to look at larger ranches in almost any other state other than this one! We would like some place a ways from any large towns yet in a cattle oriented comunity. Any one have any preferences? We would like somewhere with decent weather. We are not sure about huricanes, 30 below etc. We don't mind snow but in moderation. :oops: We are very interested in hearing the opinion of fellow ranchers. We are also interested in the "cattle" pro's and con's for the different states.
Thanks to all who respond and happy mooo year from the Double R Ranch! :cboy: Happy Ranching!!!

There is a lot of good places,but the older I get and the colder it gets,I think Texas would be my choice. Better climate than we have here. Every place has their problems but Texas seems more friendly to agriculture compared to some states that only pay lip service to farmers and ranchers. Probably less hassle from the state than you have now,especially if you are in a developing area. I don't know where in California you are, but possibly lower land cost for you there too.

When we were looking around a couple of years ago the least expensive land we found was in the Ozarks, (MO slightly less the AR) and WV. From my memory of WV we wood need cows with legs longer on one side then the other to use the land that was reasonably priced.
The biggest problem that folks from CA have when moving to the Ozarks is slowing down to this pace of living. Of roughly a dozen people I know that have moved here from CA there are only 2 of us left. Most last about 2-3 years and go someplace with a more lively life style.

dun

Florida's climate hard to beat but you need to be a billionaire to buy large tracts here. I scoped out Alabama a few weeks ago. Land was beautiful, affordable, lots of timber and unspoiled beauty, just not my speed. Any Southeastern state with a decent climate is subject to tropical weather, Texas definitely included. I believe Texas is also the tornado capitol. Florida is the lightning capitol. By the way, I can vouch for Dun's statement on WV. I've got relatives there and we visit often. Wild and beautiful but tooo steep, and a frozen tundra to boot.

I would go with the South/South East part of Montana. There is getting to be way to many people in Texas. Too many real estate folks cutting up ranch land and putting trailer houses on them for a quick buck. Then the whole place goes bankrupt and all but one or two families leave, but, the whole tract of land is screwed up. Plus, there are not a lot of large tracts available in Texas anymore, most are 100 acres or less nowadays.

Tennessee's got moderate winters and you can choose level, rolling or hill land depending on which part of the state you go to. Most everyone here (rural) raises cattle.

If you check out AL, check out south AL, more specifically SW AL. Lands too high in the north half. Too many folks too. Land in NE AL runs 2-5K per acre, much more of the 5K than 2K. South and SW you can find large tracts of rough ground for 500 per acre, good land for 1500. Run a cow per acre of grazing in most all of the state.

EDIT: Whoops, you said no hurricanes. Better avoid the Southeast, and east coast states.

We are in northern california (not by choice). We have a large enough place here and the city is moving closer at an unbelievable rate. Things are changing every day and we don't have a choice but to take it til' the buyers came a knocking. This is the reason behind knowing where we are going. That way we can get the heck out of here as soon as we are bought out! Where ever we move we want to be in the middle of know-where. Only a few people and a small town. That is the plan but those places seem to be getting harder to find. To many people! To many people that are trying to run ranchers off. They seem to think that food come's from a supermarket!!!!! AKKKK We need away from this place! :oops: Sorry, moving isn'g going to be soon enough.

rgv4":2eba80y1 said:
There is getting to be way to many people in Texas..........Plus, there are not a lot of large tracts available in Texas anymore, most are 100 acres or less nowadays.
RGV4, I agree that there are getting to be too many people everywhere, not just in Texas.

However, its simply not true that there aren't still plenty of big ranches available in Texas. Hell, you make it sound like the whole state has been subdivided! Still plenty of good sized outfits for sale west of I-35 and a few in East Texas and South Texas. Biggest problem with any of these is having to compete with the sportsmen for them.

certherfbeef":1qmdgruw said:
Texan":1qmdgruw said:
Biggest problem with any of these is having to compete with the sportsmen for them.

That problem is not just in Texas
I just recently lost a place I had a handshake deal on because a dentist from Chicago nearly doubled my offer. I guess if folks need it, you can't blame them for taking the money,not that it didn't p-ss me off. Maybe the guy will fall out of his tree stand :lol: I wonder where it will end. A place sold at auction here last week,the rougher ground and timber brought exactly twice what the better tracts did. At another sale close to here a lawyer walked in late and bid 5100 an acre, signed on to write out a check for half a million dollars like he was buying lunch. I've heard of brush and ditches selling for 3-4000 an acre. Nuts. I'm adding this on to clear up a couple of questions I got. The 5100 was for decent farm land, not pasture or timber. Here's another one for you. 800+ acres of farm land sold 25-30 miles south of here about 3 weeks ago. Split into a bunch of parcels. The first winning bid was over 5000 an acre from a personal injury lawyer. He took it all for that price. Pencil that one out.

Double R Ranch":qngdpvgf said:
greenwillowherefords":qngdpvgf said:
What would be wrong with being an Okie from California?

:?: Think I missed what you were getting at :D

If you moved to Oklahoma, where there are areas of wide open spaces and cattle country, and even reasonable land prices, you would be an"Okie" who came from California!

I think if I moved I would seriously consider Nebraska. Very ag. oriented state. Also I would consider South Dakota, although I wouldn't see much of a climate improvement over cent. Minnesota.

On a side note, I don't believe Texas is the largest Cow/Calf state is it? I always thought it was Missouri. Texas has large numbers of everything simply because of the area of the state, I think if you look at number of cattle/sheep/corn/hay/ etc. per sq. mile they probably wouldn't lead in anything.

Not trying to rile you Texans up, I love Texas and the people are great. I also know you can be very sensitive about Texas for some reason.

Latest posts