When Willie was ......

Help Support CattleToday:

Red Headed Stranger brings back some memories. I wore out several of those playing them in eight track driving a '65 GMC pickup to rodeos. And I remember "On The Road Again" came out in the spring about the time rodeo season cranked up and I was on the road again.

Dave":nou1k6jt said:
Red Headed Stranger brings back some memories. I wore out several of those playing them in eight track driving a '65 GMC pickup to rodeos. And I remember "On The Road Again" came out in the spring about the time rodeo season cranked up and I was on the road again.
There's a good song in there somewhere.

drugged out ways put me off....
cannot hold someone who does that in high esteem....
talent wasted....
think what he could have done if he had been clean and sober....
then he and his entourage stayed in a hotel where my wife was a front desk manager....they absolutley trashed every room they were in....i mean holes in the walls and plumbing fixtures busted.
cannot even hold them in low esteem.

pdfangus":20lfcixk said:
talent wasted....
then he and his entourage stayed in a hotel where my wife was a front desk manager....they absolutley trashed every room they were in....i mean holes in the walls and plumbing fixtures busted.
:secret:

He was nominated for entertainer of the year back in the 70's and they laughed him out of Nashville. Everyone was breaking records in half and sending them to the artists that laughed at Willie. Best thing that could have ever happened to him. Birth of the outlaws and he has been popular with some crowd or another ever since. - and he did win entertainer of the year and Nashville found out a few things about the rest of the U.S.

There was a time when Country and Western were two different types of music.

backhoeboogie":2gq0s61l said:
He was nominated for entertainer of the year back in the 70's and they laughed him out of Nashville. Everyone was breaking records in half and sending them to the artists that laughed at Willie. Best thing that could have ever happened to him. Birth of the outlaws and he has been popular with some crowd or another ever since. - and he did win entertainer of the year and Nashville found out a few things about the rest of the U.S.

There was a time when Country and Western were two different types of music.
dont have to worry about that now... there aint either one anymore

ALACOWMAN":2rr76bmj said:
pdfangus":2rr76bmj said:
talent wasted....
:secret:

:shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: Well I guess proves what goes around comes around. :tiphat:

Willie was good in his prime which was long ago. Now he hasn't been able to carry a tune in 15 years. A few "OLD" hippies still like him and his lifestyle.

TexasBred":10vrlfaa said:
Willie was good in his prime which was long ago. Now he hasn't been able to carry a tune in 15 years. A few "OLD" hippies still like him and his lifestyle.
yep... but Waylon was and still is, even gone.. the sht.. and you could tell me his faults all day.. i'll still listen with the same enthusiasm as i did 30 years ago :cowboy:

ALACOWMAN":1tf3lwg6 said:
TexasBred":1tf3lwg6 said:
yep... but Waylon was and still is, even gone.. the sht.. and you could tell me his faults all day.. i'll still listen with the same enthusiasm as i did 30 years ago :cowboy:

I am absolutely with you on that one too. Listened to his greatest hits CD last week all the way to Longview and back.

ALACOWMAN":11kc89q3 said:
TexasBred":11kc89q3 said:

Waylon could still sing til the day he died. Unfortunately Willie lost that several years ago and now survives on his past. Went to a truck stop/honky tonk he opened up over on Interstate 35 outside of Hillsboro, Texas a few years ago. Him, his sister and Janie Fricke I think it was were there. Could hardly wait for Willie to finish.

TexasBred":3953empr said:

I don't know that "carrying a tune" was ever that important to Willie's style. I like him anyway. He seems a bit nutty lately. But he77 he's way older than me, and folks already call me nuts.

john250":34zchykr said:
I don't know that "carrying a tune" was ever that important to Willie's style. I like him anyway. He seems a bit nutty lately. But he77 he's way older than me, and folks already call me nuts.
I don;t recall him every really carrying a tune, more like kicking it ahead of him.

We went to a couple of picnics. '80 was the last one. Couldn't believe many of the people there had traveled over 1000 miles. Think it was 115 degrees that last one. People dropping like flies. Nothing like the climate they were from.

john250":1jag7f3u said:
TexasBred":1jag7f3u said:

Yea but you're a "funny" nuts. Willie's just nuts :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

he is not nuts....
his brain is just fried....
He is sort of like Jogeephus.....
except the meat he has been marinating and smoking for years is his brain.....

3waycross":1zn66wsn said:
Alan":1zn66wsn said:
3waycross":1zn66wsn said:
The day I put my first wife on the bus back to Montana I left her standing there at 6AM crying in the rain. Not because we weren't doing the right thing splitting up but because we both knew we had failed at the most important thing either of us had ever attempted up to that point in our lives. I went home and played that song for hours.

Not one of my happiest memories!...............and yes she had blue eyes!

You already know Vic I have things that trigger a tough time in my life. My apologies my friend :tiphat: .

No sweat Alan. That darned song has been haunting me for a long time. She was a beautiful girl and right for somebody. Just not me.

Where at in Montana, Vic. I might go try to find her.

dun":1pq5t7oh said:
john250":1pq5t7oh said:
I don;t recall him every really carrying a tune, more like kicking it ahead of him.

dun, I am not an avid fan of music. But you put into words something that I always thought about Willie. I always blamed it on my lack of music appreciation or bad hearing.

tripleBfarms":hy4eo7jo said:
houstoncutter":hy4eo7jo said:
Calman":hy4eo7jo said:
Never cared for willie. The only song I could bear to hear him sing was, Blue eyes crying in the rain.

Cal

happy to see Im not the only one. That fella can really write a song, and i love him on the strings, but he cant carry a tune in a bucket

I love Willie, maybe the best songwriter ever, as far as the singing goes, its all about the song, he feels it and it comes out, its honest and simple, thats the beauty of it. Listen to "Angel Flying too close to the Ground" ....one of the best songs ever recorded.

Nobody writes songs like he did anymore
:nod: Agree. Angel is also my favorite. I like him imperfections and all. :tiphat:

Latest posts