When Willie was ......

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
back when Willie was at his best, yes when Willie was really Willie (try saying that three time fast).
One of my all time favorites in the version it was suppose to be done. Linda Ronstadt did a very good one also, that's what made me think of it.

[youtube]omOOKYV47as[/youtube]

The day I put my first wife on the bus back to Montana I left her standing there at 6AM crying in the rain. Not because we weren't doing the right thing splitting up but because we both knew we had failed at the most important thing either of us had ever attempted up to that point in our lives. I went home and played that song for hours.

Not one of my happiest memories!...............and yes she had blue eyes!

3waycross":3a1tvj1m said:
The day I put my first wife on the bus back to Montana I left her standing there at 6AM crying in the rain. Not because we weren't doing the right thing splitting up but because we both knew we had failed at the most important thing either of us had ever attempted up to that point in our lives. I went home and played that song for hours.

You already know Vic I have things that trigger a tough time in my life. My apologies my friend :tiphat: .

Alan":1bdkr9k8 said:
3waycross":1bdkr9k8 said:

You already know Vic I have things that trigger a tough time in my life. My apologies my friend :tiphat: .

No sweat Alan. That darned song has been haunting me for a long time. She was a beautiful girl and right for somebody. Just not me.

When the radio alarm went off at 6:00 this morning, it was Willie singing "the last thing I needed, the first thing this morning.." sounded great! Willie is one of a kind.

ALACOWMAN":25oyr6yp said:
id like to see guess's on what that old wore out assed guitar of his, would be worth at auction one day..

First time around $250,000 second time or third a million plus

I played that Red Headed Stranger cd till it wore out.
"She drew back in fear of the ragin black stallion, but cast greedy eyes on the bay.."

greybeard":t2a72w3p said:
I played that Red Headed Stranger cd till it wore out.
"She drew back in fear of the ragin black stallion, but cast greedy eyes on the bay.."
that one, could i sleep in your arms.. and i couldnt believe it was true.... were my favorite

40 some odd years ago my wife and I (while we were just dating) went o his first concert. He was the warm up act for Slim Whitman, Dotty West was the warm up for The Killer. When he first came out he just short of shambled and didn;t raise his head to look at the audience. Slim Whitman got booed off the stage and they brought Willie back out. After the break, Dotty West came out and she got booed off the stage. JLL hadn't made it to the show yet so the brough Willie out again. This time he came out with his head held high, he did almost an hour before JLL came on stage. The next day the paper review said that we had seen a new star born that night.

Never cared for willie. The only song I could bear to hear him sing was, Blue eyes crying in the rain.

Cal

Some of his recent stuff,I can do without. I liked Highwayman, and Poncho and Lefty, but he had some help with those.
Every Christmas tho, I listen mostly for 2 songs.
Willie singing Pretty Paper and Alabama singing Christmas in Dixie.

Calman":3sgd4mqs said:
Never cared for willie. The only song I could bear to hear him sing was, Blue eyes crying in the rain.

Cal

happy to see Im not the only one. That fella can really write a song, and i love him on the strings, but he cant carry a tune in a bucket

houstoncutter":29fshs5p said:
Calman":29fshs5p said:

Cal

happy to see Im not the only one. That fella can really write a song, and i love him on the strings, but he cant carry a tune in a bucket

I love Willie, maybe the best songwriter ever, as far as the singing goes, its all about the song, he feels it and it comes out, its honest and simple, thats the beauty of it. Listen to "Angel Flying too close to the Ground" ....one of the best songs ever recorded.

Nobody writes songs like he did anymore

Latest posts