When to put cow back with bull after birthing

Help Support CattleToday:

samandbuddy

Reaction score
Cow had a calf born 2 1/2 weeks ago. How long do you suggest keeping the cow from the bull?

I guess it would depend on when you want her to calve again. When would that be????????????????

cowboy43":13qxgfd9 said:
I guess it depends on where you live, no one here pulls the bull they leave them out their year round.

ditto here, we never separate the bull, but then it depends on what your intentions are...

Thank you for the replies. I live in southeast Michigan. I think I will wait another week or so and then put her back with the bull, this way I will not have a calf in the middle of winter.

I live in Cottrellville, just outside of Marine City - which is near Port Huron. What part do you reside in?

samandbuddy":1qhl90lc said:
Thank you for the replies. I live in southeast Michigan. I think I will wait another week or so and then put her back with the bull, this way I will not have a calf in the middle of winter.
A cow will not be ready to conceive for "about 30-45 days" after calving. I'm "assuming" she calved around 12-3. So, she should be ready to be bred anytime after mid January. But, if bred 1-20, you are looking at Nov 1st (at the earliest). So, not sure what you meant about "will not have a calf in the middle of winter". If she conceives within 30 days of exposure to the bull, you are looking at Nov calving. Guess, that's what you are shooting for instead of December? You can "up" a cow 30 days - IF, it's a cow and not a heifer, and IF, she is in good body condition score (BCS), and IF her system is geared for fertility. Not all cows cycle that soon, and even if they cycle, not all cows conceive on their first heat.
Not saying a heifer can't/won't conceive quickly, but they aren't as likely to come back into heat as quickly as a cow.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":6nrxuvmg said:
samandbuddy":6nrxuvmg said:
A cow will not be ready to conceive for "about 30-45 days" after calving.

Most won't unless you aren't wanting them bred then they will breed 21 days after they calve :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Angus Cowman":3g407si3 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":3g407si3 said:
samandbuddy":3g407si3 said:
A cow will not be ready to conceive for "about 30-45 days" after calving.

Most won't unless you aren't wanting them bred then they will breed 21 days after they calve :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Amen.

samandbuddy":3r90ptjf said:
Cow had a calf born 2 1/2 weeks ago. How long do you suggest keeping the cow from the bull?

Roughly 9 1/2 months before you want her to calve again.

Latest posts