When to bushhog?

Help Support CattleToday:

MOFarmer2013

Reaction score
This is a beginner question. I have pastures of fescue. My cattle has eaten the undergrowth, but they don't touch the large clumps of grass. Should I bushhog the tall big clumps of fescue?

MOFarmer2013":pllb3h7r said:
This is a beginner question. I have pastures of fescue. My cattle has eaten the undergrowth, but they don't touch the large clumps of grass. Should I bushhog the tall big clumps of fescue?

How tall is the clumps?

When it gets to that point i usually cut it but i leave the bush hog high. My goal is to leave the grass 8 inches. But usually only one time a year in the fall.

It's about waist high. I was thinking about cutting it and maybe they would eat it better.

I bush hogged mine early this year and like how it has done. Like Craig said keep the hog up higher and leave 8" or so if you can. It will come back better as cooler weather comes.

MOFarmer2013":11rjbfia said:
It's about waist high. I was thinking about cutting it and maybe they would eat it better.

Our pastures are a base of bluegrass, brome, orchardgrass and timothy with Dutch white clover and some birdsfoot trefoil. Fescue is considered a weed in almost every situation outside of a waterway. Thank goodness we don't have to rely on bermuda grass or fescue for forage. If it was mine, I would go in and clip just at the tops of the grass blades to cut off the stems and seed heads. After first frost the cattle should go back and eat the fescue you have left/stockpiled.

MOFarmer2013":3dk5hvgs said:

I agree with Kenny. It's all about timing. I'd cut it. They may browse a few seed heads now but that's about it. However, I have left tall fescue this time of year if it gets real hot and dry. I think it shades and protects the undergrowth.

fitz

NWMoAngus":4vwojkqg said:
Our pastures are a base of bluegrass, brome, orchardgrass and timothy with Dutch white clover and some birdsfoot trefoil. Fescue is considered a weed in almost every situation outside of a waterway. Thank goodness we don't have to rely on bermuda grass or fescue for forage. If it was mine, I would go in and clip just at the tops of the grass blades to cut off the stems and seed heads. After first frost the cattle should go back and eat the fescue you have left/stockpiled.
Our pastures are 85% fescue and about 15% clover, the other incidentals aren;t worth mentioning. We mow are exactly the same. Just enough to nip to top the grass leave but enough to cut the seed stalks and heads. Come September it will take off and start growing again. It may grow a bit until then but not enough to measure.

Latest posts