When to aierate

Help Support CattleToday:

Save yourself the time and fuel. I have a Hay King aerator and it doesn't make my pastures better.

I only use it to prep pastures for fall overseeding by loosening up the sod so the winter ryegrass can grow better.

gabby":31ihk3mi said:
Save yourself the time and fuel. I have a Hay King aerator and it doesn't make my pastures better.

I only use it to prep pastures for fall overseeding by loosening up the sod so the winter ryegrass can grow better.

You don't feel like it helps water infiltration at all?

shaz":3oto6tx0 said:
gabby":3oto6tx0 said:

Just how much more aeration than this does one need...... :D

0057.JPG

0172.JPG

ground_cracks.jpg

Cracks_1.jpg

Cracks_3.jpg

Crack2.jpg

Crack.jpg

001.jpg

Im not an expert by any means but I look at it opposite of most people. Its not when your in a drought that you need to aereate really. As you can see in that pic the cracks are doing it for you. Its actually in wet years when that same ground swells that you need to break it up to get the deep moisture. Ground that will crack like that will also swell and seal off with enough moisture.

Thats just the way it was explained to me and the theory I operate from.

I go over all my hay land in the spring and than spread fertilizer. If we get a timily rain than it does help soak the fertilizer in the ground quicker. Also if we have a cold spring if seems to help warm the ground faster and gets the hay growing faster. Last spring you could really tell the difference between my hay land and anyother hay or pasture in the area.

shaz":2flnpc86 said:
gabby":2flnpc86 said:

I have made random passes across fields in the spring to test if I could see results compared to the rest of the field and I couldn't see any. I have also done entire fields with no noticeable results, except when I did it during dry weather I had dead grass streaks where the knives disturbed the grass roots which later died.
:2cents:

You need to apply some humate which is humic acid and it will help break the chemical bonds in the soil and loosen it up so it will hold more water and more efficiently use the water in dry years. This will also help in untieing the p and k in the soil. You can apply 2qt-2 gallon per acre and it costs about $15 per gallon delivered to you

Latest posts