When is a Bull Calf too big to band?

Help Support CattleToday:

M.Magis":36izpdun said:
I have a California bander I use for just a few per year. Its about as easy and fool proof as I can imagine. If I cut a slit in the sack, everything is gone within 2 weeks. I keep saying I'll do them earlier each year, but they're usually 400-600 lbs before I get to it.
What is the benefit of cutting the slit?

sstterry":y7znjp6k said:
M.Magis":y7znjp6k said:
I have a California bander I use for just a few per year. Its about as easy and fool proof as I can imagine. If I cut a slit in the sack, everything is gone within 2 weeks. I keep saying I'll do them earlier each year, but they're usually 400-600 lbs before I get to it.
From what I've seen, less swelling and it dries up very quickly. Basically lets the sack drain instead of holding all the fluid inside the sack.

It sure would be a good idea. I work through the side bars of the chute, but I have to be careful. Normally, if I touch them a few times instead of just going straight in and grabbing the sack they don't move much, if at all. If one kicks too much I just tie his leg to a chute bar. But I'm working with a half-azzed set up.

I don't know about others, but we "tail" our cattle. If you hold their tail straight up & hold the tail putting pressure at the base of the tail pushing toward their spine/head - they cannot lift their hind legs. They can still jump around, but they soon stop because they really can't feel their legs. We do it when we clip teats on heifers or band or cut castrate bulls.
I tail. I stand inside the chute on the side of the animal - using two hands, one at the middle of the tail to stabilize it/hold it down near their sping & one at the base pushing hard. Nephew kneels down behind. Knock on wood, he has NEVER been kicked ---- or hubby in previous years.

I tried to call the bussiness that makes the bands and left a message. The owner called and talked to me for a while today. A very nice man. Said it took him and his wife two years to perfect this where it was reliable and worked well. Said since they have started selling to the public they have sold over 20,000 and had 4-5 that failed while applying them but haven't heard of any failures once applied. Said they had determined some of the bands weren't being made of a consistent quality and thickness. For now they are stretch testing each band before shipping. Confirmed they were working on a band for smaller calves but said it would likely be a while before it was available. Also asked me to let him know my thoughts and opinion once I had used them. Also said to contact him with any questions or about any issues. Seemed like a very nice person. I told him that I would.

M.Magis":9v0p7by6 said:
It sure would be a good idea. I work through the side bars of the chute, but I have to be careful. Normally, if I touch them a few times instead of just going straight in and grabbing the sack they don't move much, if at all. If one kicks too much I just tie his leg to a chute bar. But I'm working with a half-azzed set up.
Google Imobolizer. I knife cut every bull calf I raise or buy by myself. So much easier for me and the calves. Seems I gave $235 a 2-3 years ago. Charge it up and it lasts for hours.

kenny thomas":36ngjpvi said:
M.Magis":36ngjpvi said:
Google Imobolizer. I knife cut every bull calf I raise or buy by myself. So much easier for me and the calves. Seems I gave $235 a 2-3 years ago. Charge it up and it lasts for hours.
I've seen them advertised on CL and was wondering if they were worth looking into. Thanks.

M.Magis":2x32g10y said:
kenny thomas":2x32g10y said:
M.Magis":2x32g10y said:
I've seen them advertised on CL and was wondering if they were worth looking into. Thanks.
To me they are very worth it. If I want to work 1 calf or 20 I don't need help so I can do it on my schedule.
Mine is not the one on Craiglist. I will get the name to you over the weekend.

sstterry":1t9ex42t said:
M.Magis":1t9ex42t said:

It lets the cord and nuts dry out, fall off and heal up in half the time of unslit. I started slitting years ago after watching an 800 lb bull that had been banded a couple of weeks walking around with dried out leather sack dangling from just the cord. Seems the sack turns to leather and slows the drying and detachment of the cord.

When we knife castrate, we take the bottom 1/3 of the scrotum off. We do not make "slits" like they used to (one for each testicle). So, are you talking about making a vertical slit? or slit open the bottom. If you didn't open the bottom, I would be afraid of "pooling".

Jeanne - Simme Valley":jvvnmi7p said:
When we knife castrate, we take the bottom 1/3 of the scrotum off. We do not make "slits" like they used to (one for each testicle). So, are you talking about making a vertical slit? or slit open the bottom. If you didn't open the bottom, I would be afraid of "pooling".

I have never had any issues with by not slitting the bag.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3244cmv8 said:
I make one slit between the nuts, right on the bottom for that reason. I've done plenty without the slit, but now that I've seen the difference I slit them all.

I saw these a few months ago and this was my first thought. How do you know it is tight enough? I understand the cheerio band can keep reducing in size. But the Zip Bandit how can you be sure it will be tight enough?
Zip Bandit sized for 300-750 lbs. one size.

When you pull the zip tie it locks both ends of surgical tubing.
If it don't lock when you pull it, it opens back up. A do over.

I would give them a dose of covexin 8 a couple weeks prior to banding and a second dose when you place the band. A single dose at the time of banding will do nothing to prevent tetanus.
My vets say different. If you don't slit the bag we have never seen any issue. My vets and cutter bull buyers say to never slit the bag. They all do large numbers. If you want to add insurance give a anti toxin shot with the 8 way.

Latest posts