When are you baling your 1st cutting and how much nitrogen?

Help Support CattleToday:

ddd75

Reaction score
When do you guys usually cut and bale the 1st cutting (state location please)?

How much nitrogen are you putting on pastures?

Why are you asking others for their state and location but you did not even take 5 seconds to fill in that portion when you registered your user name on this site?

skyhightree1":382ylpt6 said:
Why are you asking others for their state and location but you did not even take 5 seconds to fill in that portion when you registered your user name on this site?

probably because it pertains to my question unlike your rude comment which has nothing to do with this thread.

ddd75":2c7dc5rq said:
skyhightree1":2c7dc5rq said:

probably because it pertains to my question unlike your rude comment which has nothing to do with this thread.

Humor me... Where are you from ?

However, Had everyone taken that 5 seconds to fill in where they are located ... You would not need to ask that question as it would be listed beside their post. :2cents: Understand what I am getting at ? ;-) :tiphat:

yea I get it, I must of missed it when I registered. I'll go back behind the barn and shoot myself now for missing that.

This is ddd75's wife, he went back to the barn for some reason.. I updated his profile for everyone.

Alabama.
We begin cutting Fescue the second week in May if the weather window is there. Fertilize fescue in late February, early March. Fertilize according to soil tests at 300 lb. acre of some blend.
We begin cutting the Bahia and Bermuda fields in June. Also fertilize at 300 lb. per acre and dress with 100 - 200 lb. of nitrogen after each cutting.
We finish up in early September.

ddd75":1m5igi6y said:
This is ddd75's wife, he went back to the barn for some reason.. I updated his profile for everyone.

Then I will address this to the widow as she will need to know.

Nitrogen on a hay field is OK - but there are other things as - and in fact sometimes more important.

So my dear - after you bury your husband - call the local fertilizer company and spend the few bucks to get some soil samples taken. If your husband was too cheap to do this, you should make it a priority.

That way you will actually know what the soil needs, how much to apply and if you do not have that application ability your fertilizer company can do it all for you.

It is actually worth the cash - so spend some of that life insurance and do this asap - it will quite likely improve your hay crop dramatically.

Green fields on land that is now probably paid for with a bit of that insurance money - those are real attractants to others.

So if you get lonely ......and if you are under 50 years of age I know at least three bachelors who would like to meet you.

My best

Bez__

In the past 20 years I have been known to have already cut some hay by now wich means fertilizer was put out about 4to6 weeks ago. Would fertilize with about 200 lbs of 24-12-12 or 30-10-10 but that was then and not the recent norm.

I should be cutting rye grass hay in the next couple weeks but with the rain we are having it looks like a while before I can get in the fields. I will start cutting coastal and bahia grass the middle to end of next month. It varies depending on night temperatures but that's usually normal here. I usually put down 60 to 80 lbs of nitrogen(on hay ground only) split in 3 application along with whatever else my soil test says between cuttings. Cow pastures get fertilized to soil test split in three applications. This can vary depending on rainfall late summer.

I'm in Cental OK.

I try to fertilize by May 15th and bale my 1st cutting Bermuda in 4 to 6 weeks after that depending on rainfall....

Now that May 15th date can vary 10 days either side based on how fast "growing season" arrives. Last year, it was the week of Memorial Day before the fertilizer went down and I baled 4th of July.... That was my latest first cutting ever. My earliest was around June 10th...

I'm in Ky, like yourself. I'm prisoner to the weather. I would like to cut fescue, just as it is making a stem. Weather never cooperates for that. I'll end up cutting in early June.

Haven't taken any soil samples yet, will fertilize hay ground accordingly. Been skipping everything but N on pasture ground, but rotate where I cut hay. What I'm doing is not a best practice btw.

I will cut mid to late may if it dries up enough . I don't fertilize until after the first cut . It's mostly clover and rye grass with some costal in it . After the clean up cut I put down 300 lbs of 19 9 19 according to soil test. 3 cuts and 3 fertilize applications plant rye grass to run heifers on over the winter .

ddd75":2fmnh7k3 said:
When do you guys usually cut and bale the 1st cutting (state location please)?

How much nitrogen are you putting on pastures?

The issue with making hay in Ky is that when it is in the boot stage around the 1st of May, then it is not good hay weather usually....too cool and or too damp.
So its usually late May or June before we get good hay weather.

Bez__":2l5371la said:
ddd75":2l5371la said:

Then I will address this to the widow as she will need to know.

Nitrogen on a hay field is OK - but there are other things as - and in fact sometimes more important.

So my dear - after you bury your husband - call the local fertilizer company and spend the few bucks to get some soil samples taken. If your husband was too cheap to do this, you should make it a priority.

That way you will actually know what the soil needs, how much to apply and if you do not have that application ability your fertilizer company can do it all for you.

It is actually worth the cash - so spend some of that life insurance and do this asap - it will quite likely improve your hay crop dramatically.

Green fields on land that is now probably paid for with a bit of that insurance money - those are real attractants to others.

So if you get lonely ......and if you are under 50 years of age I know at least three bachelors who would like to meet you.

My best

Bez__

:lol: :lol: :lol:

thanks guys..

I figured it'd be interesting to see what y'all were doing.

to 'bez__'.. yes I know all about soil testing and it has been done. I wasn't asking for any advice.

Latest posts