What's your favorite breed?

Help Support CattleToday:

angus, of course. What other breed can say that the whole industry is chasing and copying their every move? They have stood the test of time, and they arent a fad breed like sim, chi, and chars. They have a great easy calving reccord. They sell well, and they are usually very docile. One downside, they kick!!

TEXANGRANCH":3s1isa8j said:
angus, of course. What other breed can say that the whole industry is chasing and copying their every move? They have stood the test of time, and they arent a fad breed like sim, chi, and chars. They have a great easy calving reccord. They sell well, and they are usually very docile. One downside, they kick!!
One downside? I can't believe I am saying this but where is guest25. What about yield? You keep talking about fads, but you are the one following the biggest fad of all. The tides are turning and muscle will be more important then hide color in the next couple of years. It is going to be fun when the guys like you have there cattles quality put into question and you start loosing those bonuses.

Angus cows kick? dont they all? and here I only thought my cows kicked, and I have beefmasters!
Seriously, my beefmasters are gentle as pups, and raise some great calves. I have been looking into doing a Pure Breed operation, but I know the cost is high getting started, but just trying to decide what to get into or stay with what I have and specialize the Beefmasters.

Limomike":25f3cql5 said:
Angus cows kick? dont they all? and here I only thought my cows kicked, and I have beefmasters!
Seriously, my beefmasters are gentle as pups, and raise some great calves. I have been looking into doing a Pure Breed operation, but I know the cost is high getting started, but just trying to decide what to get into or stay with what I have and specialize the Beefmasters.
im going to pure bred beefmasters now.an your right the start up cost for a reg herd is high.the bred heifers an cows that im finding are from $1600 to $2500 a hd.an thats just to start a herd.guess ill pay what it takes to get top cattle.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3axnvrf5 said:
Obviously, I think Simmental is the best breed. You can have Reds or blacks or spotted. They are the heaviest milk breed, with growth, & carcass. They used to be referred to as the maternal breed in continentals, but they are more than that - great feedlot cattle & carcass.
We have great genetic base. You can pick cattle that are purebred, but fit your environment - large or small - heavy or moderate milking - and the color of choice!! :p
Pick them for crossbreeding, use PB cows for their fertility and milk and easy calving. Use PB bulls for their easy calving with tremendous growth, muscling, and color of choice!! :p
But, for anyone to decide to breed purebreds of any breed - they have to realize that the initial cost of getting into a breed is high (especially if you buy decent seedstock) and the COST of promoting your cattle if you expect to receive more than the normal market price of commercial calves.
I strongly believe in purchasing the best quality you can afford - whether it PB or commercial.
Remember, even in a PB operation, a good majority of your calves sell as feeders, so you want a cow that will produce a calf with good weight & muscling at weaning time. Also, part of your income is the number of pounds that cow weighs when she is culled.
Also, cattle need to match your feed supply.

For a minute there I thought you were reading from the Tarentaise handbook. The Tarentaise are easy keepers, great mothers, easy calvers, tremendous milkers and very rugged. They originated higher in the Alps than any other breed but have adapted to virtually all climates including Sahara Africa. Their isolation in the Alps has led them to produce the most hybrid vigor of any breed in a crossbreeding operation. Moderate size means less feed and they will finish out at 1000-1200 lbs with less waste than most breeds. And, unfortunately, they, too, come in black and the breed color red.

What, you don't like the Black Tarentaise/ :lol: :lol: Nver have seen one in person, nor have I seen the pink nose variety that I know so many people abhore.. Only have seen 8-10 in person and most have been from the same herd, includnig the 4 bulls I used to own (Down to two now). Nice breed actually, I think about getting some more sometimes... Sometimes.

Schnurrbart":1n3s6uis said:
For a minute there I thought you were reading from the Tarentaise handbook. The Tarentaise are easy keepers, great mothers, easy calvers, tremendous milkers and very rugged. They originated higher in the Alps than any other breed but have adapted to virtually all climates including Sahara Africa. Their isolation in the Alps has led them to produce the most hybrid vigor of any breed in a crossbreeding operation. Moderate size means less feed and they will finish out at 1000-1200 lbs with less waste than most breeds. And, unfortunately, they, too, come in black and the breed color red.
Schnurrbart; is black in the origional breed or a reent addition?
There is too much conflicting information on the internet on the breed history, where can the correct history be studied?
We will not be going black as the unique genotype is too valuable to compromise, with 5000 years isolation from European breeds, and 2000 years natural selection in the uncompromising disease ridden bushveld of the Tuli Circle, their value in crossbreeding programs depends on the high degree of heterosis expressed by the pure genotype.

Beefmaster, I can sell 500 lb heifer calves for $800.00 and Bull calves for $900.00 (private treaty) all day long 24/7. My phone rings off the wall every year.

IL Rancher":2bc4bunq said:
What, you don't like the Black Tarentaise/ :lol: :lol: Nver have seen one in person, nor have I seen the pink nose variety that I know so many people abhore.. Only have seen 8-10 in person and most have been from the same herd, includnig the 4 bulls I used to own (Down to two now). Nice breed actually, I think about getting some more sometimes... Sometimes.
No, I don't like them even though I have some blacks. Mine are Tarentaise/ChiAngus X and very seldom do I have a purebred black although I did have 1 purebred black bull this year. I won't buy any more but will keep them if they are born here and are heifers. Where is Bureau County?

Up North from you... I-80 runs right through it. I might have written to you a couple years back when I was thinking about getting some Tarentase... Might off, don't know how man folk are in Illinois who raise Tarentaise.

andybob":kbm63ghf said:
Schnurrbart":kbm63ghf said:
Schnurrbart; is black in the origional breed or a reent addition?
There is too much conflicting information on the internet on the breed history, where can the correct history be studied?
We will not be going black as the unique genotype is too valuable to compromise, with 5000 years isolation from European breeds, and 2000 years natural selection in the uncompromising disease ridden bushveld of the Tuli Circle, their value in crossbreeding programs depends on the high degree of heterosis expressed by the pure genotype.

The black purebred probably has been around since shortly after the breed was introduced in this country in 1972. However, it was not recognized and was not eligible for registration until just a few years ago when the association started getting so much flack from the western producers who said they couldn't sell a red cow and needed to be able to show and promote black purebreds. I was and still am against showing them at the national show because it doesn't represent the true breed. I also worry about the dilution of the breed like all the others have done. At the national show in Denver, it is hard to tell what most of the cattle are because they are almost all black. I figure if you like black so well, why don't you just raise Black Angus and be done with it. The heterosis or hybrid vigor is usually so great in these cattle because of the isolation of the European herd. I would venture to guess that it is less here now but it still seems to be very good as compared to others in the crossbreeding operations. The current web site for Tarentaise is not that good and we are redoing it soon. Have you looked at the Oklahoma State U. web site and their notes on the breed? They seem to be very good.

I almost bought a black bull from ankenmans a couple years back but it sold before I even had a chance to decide if I liked it or not so I guess almost was pretty far away. I lik the breed for the most part althogh part of me thinks I am not using it for what I should be (Creating F1 females) but I need to see how they do for me before I decide to go away from the current plan. I always felt as if the breed notes I would read made it sound as almost an ideal maternal breed but I also have a tendancy to take that stuff with very large rain of salt as I have never seen a breed hammered in one of thos pubs.

I answered where Ias from aove bu sould have said Burau Count s alon I-80 just west if LaSalle Peru....princeton is county seat.

IL Rancher":3ss69225 said:
Up North from you... I-80 runs right through it. I might have written to you a couple years back when I was thinking about getting some Tarentase... Might off, don't know how man folk are in Illinois who raise Tarentaise.

Seems I remember that. We are down close to KY in the SE part of the state. You are right in that there are not many tarentaise in Illinois. There are only two members of the ATA in Illinois right now and that is me and my daughter. I only have about 25 females and we have been keeping most of the heifers to build up to around 30-35 cows. We did some AI this year and are hoping for a couple of bull calves since they were out of some of the old bulls from the late 70s.

IL Rancher":20m19o4f said:
I almost bought a black bull from ankenmans a couple years back but it sold before I even had a chance to decide if I liked it or not so I guess almost was pretty far away. I lik the breed for the most part althogh part of me thinks I am not using it for what I should be (Creating F1 females) but I need to see how they do for me before I decide to go away from the current plan. I always felt as if the breed notes I would read made it sound as almost an ideal maternal breed but I also have a tendancy to take that stuff with very large rain of salt as I have never seen a breed hammered in one of thos pubs.

I answered where Ias from aove bu sould have said Burau Count s alon I-80 just west if LaSalle Peru....princeton is county seat.

I got my current bull from Ankenmans. They have quite an operation but they are no longer registered purebred operators. I didn't know that when I bought the bull and had to go through the gyrations of getting the dam re-registered so the calf could be. Don't if you have seen him or not. I posted him of the thread about the herd bulls I believe. Take a look.

IL Rancher":28fwdc9s said:

Forgot to ask. What do you raise now?

Yep, I remember talking to Sandy about them not registering with the association anymore. Found that to be a bit of a shame to be honest I know my two (Who are three years old) are not registered but I still like them never the less. One is a bit nicer than the other of course but both look a bit smaller than your guy, lol. Must not of fed them enough wheaties after Chris dropped them off or smoething ;-)
I need a new keyboard... This wireless one keeps dropping key strokes.

We run mostly Red and Black commercal Angus with some Red baldies in the mix.... used to use Maine Anjou's as terminal sires but are running Red and Black Angus bulls for the most part now..

Latest posts