What's your favorite breed?

Help Support CattleToday:

Rockin' J Longhorns

Reaction score
What's your favorite breed and why?

My favorite breed is - Texas Longhorns

Why - lots of reasons but the #1 reason is the money I can make with them that I couldn't do with any other breed.

#2 The challenge of breeding for the biggest and best horned longhorns.

#3 The excitement of a new born calf. (What color is it, is it a bull or a heifer.)

Who's next :?: :)

Ok, I'll bite. My favorite breed is Murray Grey - no surprise there! :lol: :lol: Reasons are docility, ease of handling, very good milkers, excellent mothers, naturally polled breed (I detest dehorning!!!), low birth weight yet fast growth after the calves hit the ground, ease of conversion of feed, ability to finish on grass, and - added bonus - they are very pretty to look at!

In Dairy I prefer the Jersey. Size, Doctility,and a good price for the milk because of the components.
In beef my breed of choice is Shorthorn. Doctility, low birth weight, fast growth and they finish well on grass.

beefmaster they are gentle an easy to handle.they can take the heat.raise big nice calves.

Oklahoma (formaly Texas) Longhorns,
because I don't like pulling calfs, and they eat anything, including poison ivy :lol:
Mac

Brangus cows are my breed of choice. They have the right amount of Brahman blood for my area and combined with the Angus, they are able to cross well with Hereford, Angus, or Continentals. Also, the straightbred female finds market acceptance. In the fescue belt where I raise cattle, the Brahman genetics helps them thrive on this infected KY 31.

Herefords,

I love their eye problems, lack of milking, and last the hit I take at the sale barn.

I figure it only costs me a couple hundred in the hole a year to keep em?

Hopin to make my losses up in volume.

MD

redfornow":1ffav095 said:
Herefords,

I love their eye problems, lack of milking, and last the hit I take at the sale barn.

MD

I will second that one but I added horns to mine to make it even worse. :D JHH

JHH":2uol44ok said:
redfornow":2uol44ok said:
Herefords,

MD

I will second that one but I added horns to mine to make it even worse. :D JHH

I forgot horns dang it.

Thanks JHH thats a big help.

Tuli; docile, hardy, easy keepers, heat resistant, fertile, small calves well attached udders and cross with any of the common breeds in the U.S.A. exprssing maximum heterosis due to their unique genetics. They are just a great damline in any crossbreeding program in hostile southern environments.

I didn't know there was another type of cow besides brangus. No I think that each breed has a place in the market. I think you need to stick with the one you feel you can market and become as educated about the breed and STAY with that breed. All this switching and swapping, I don't see how people can be experts on so many different sires and dams from multiple breeds. Maybe I'm just slow.

plbcattle":3slbwzj1 said:
I didn't know there was another type of cow besides brangus. No I think that each breed has a place in the market. I think you need to stick with the one you feel you can market and become as educated about the breed and STAY with that breed. All this switching and swapping, I don't see how people can be experts on so many different sires and dams from multiple breeds. Maybe I'm just slow.

Your not, the people that do it well stick with one.
Or after twenty or so years add a second.

MD

redfornow":2rs6fkxo said:
the people that do it well stick with one.
Or after twenty or so years add a second.

MD

Hmmm..... what about them Redpolls?

Obviously, I think Simmental is the best breed. You can have Reds or blacks or spotted. They are the heaviest milk breed, with growth, & carcass. They used to be referred to as the maternal breed in continentals, but they are more than that - great feedlot cattle & carcass.
We have great genetic base. You can pick cattle that are purebred, but fit your environment - large or small - heavy or moderate milking - and the color of choice!! :p
Pick them for crossbreeding, use PB cows for their fertility and milk and easy calving. Use PB bulls for their easy calving with tremendous growth, muscling, and color of choice!! :p
But, for anyone to decide to breed purebreds of any breed - they have to realize that the initial cost of getting into a breed is high (especially if you buy decent seedstock) and the COST of promoting your cattle if you expect to receive more than the normal market price of commercial calves.
I strongly believe in purchasing the best quality you can afford - whether it PB or commercial.
Remember, even in a PB operation, a good majority of your calves sell as feeders, so you want a cow that will produce a calf with good weight & muscling at weaning time. Also, part of your income is the number of pounds that cow weighs when she is culled.
Also, cattle need to match your feed supply.

Latest posts