What's your Chute Size? ? ?

Help Support CattleToday:

K2011

Reaction score
How wide is your chute? I am not building a new one but I saw one the other day and it looked like it was around 40inches wide - way to wide - they are goin to have some real problems. If you were to build a new pen would you build it square or round......I would build a round. Also - does anyone know about LONGHORNS goin down a chute? ? ? Is it a special made chute -- extra wide, or what?

K2011":27e93wfx said:
How wide is your chute? I am not building a new one but I saw one the other day and it looked like it was around 40inches wide - way to wide - they are goin to have some real problems. If you were to build a new pen would you build it square or round......I would build a round. Also - does anyone know about LONGHORNS goin down a chute? ? ? Is it a special made chute -- extra wide, or what?

28" will work for most operations.

I am not convinced with round yet (have tried both), when I rebuild mine it will be straight and long.

I have no experience with longhorns (I would still like them dehorned :lol: ), but someone has at some time posted pics of Medina gates for the use of longhorns

We don't use a "chute" system, just specially designed corral area and Medina Hinge squeeze area along with a Swing Gate unit to encourage Longhorns into a trailer as needed.

As some "enlightment" for the non- and anti-Longhorn people, Longhorn Cattle are extremely clever, cautious, aware of the exact location of their horns and horn tips. Even one with 60 or 70 or 80" horns can negotiate a narrow place as "tight" as 2 to 3 feet wide. They will "thread" their horns through a variety of obstacles and situations, carefully and slowly...just let THEM analyze the situation and allow THEM to progress through the area. Obviously, if the wrangler tries to push, hoop & holler & shock them to go...well, a wreck is waiting to happen. The Longhorn has had over 500 years of genetics and learning on how to get into and out of tight situations. Give them a chance and don't rush them...they will figure it out on their own, safely, and without injuring themselves or anything/anyone else. Even when they are restrained in the Medina Hinge (2 heavy duty Priefert or similar gates), they will work their horns up or down the gate, one rail/one horn at a time until they get positioned where they want to be.

the chute at home i think would be classified as "too wide" - its about 34" wide.

Mine is home made. I went out and measured it this morning out of curiosity. It is 28 inches. It is just wide enough for my angus bulls. But my head gate isn't, so I don't squeeze them with that. My alley is just the right size for my cows, but it is almost too wide for yearlings who think they can, and sometimes manage to turn around in the alley.

I have a seperate area on concrete under a roof for working calves. I had an old catch gate crate that was origionally designed for hogs. I modified it for calves, and it works just as slick as the large setup. I catch all the calves before they go to pasure, from one week old, to four or five months old.

I'm thinking about investing in a new squeeze chute and head gate someday for my cattle alley. my headgate is store bought, (don't remember the brand) but it has been sprung by a bull a few years ago, and it just doesn't work as slick as it used to, and the squeeze part is all homade, and doesn't have a very easy open access. I would like to get something with seperate spots to open up, and a palpation gate at the back. (they sure have some slick setups at the local farm shows I go to)

30 inches wide and home made with a head gate on the end. Someone at some point showed a drop in PVC shim for a chute on this forum. It was about a year back. I made one out of scrap and it works great for calves that want to turn around. It drops onto the top of the chute on the flat side and narrows the chute at calf height. Whoever gave me that tip, thank you.

I also have two medina hinge gates with one going into the chute. I like them for lots of things. If I am just spraying for flies, I only use the medina gates. It is simpler and quicker than going into the chute.

Running Arrow Bill":3iukovq8 said:
We don't use a "chute" system, just specially designed corral area and Medina Hinge squeeze area along with a Swing Gate unit to encourage Longhorns into a trailer as needed.

As some "enlightment" for the non- and anti-Longhorn people, Longhorn Cattle are extremely clever, cautious, aware of the exact location of their horns and horn tips. Even one with 60 or 70 or 80" horns can negotiate a narrow place as "tight" as 2 to 3 feet wide. They will "thread" their horns through a variety of obstacles and situations, carefully and slowly...just let THEM analyze the situation and allow THEM to progress through the area. Obviously, if the wrangler tries to push, hoop & holler & shock them to go...well, a wreck is waiting to happen. The Longhorn has had over 500 years of genetics and learning on how to get into and out of tight situations. Give them a chance and don't rush them...they will figure it out on their own, safely, and without injuring themselves or anything/anyone else. Even when they are restrained in the Medina Hinge (2 heavy duty Priefert or similar gates), they will work their horns up or down the gate, one rail/one horn at a time until they get positioned where they want to be.
when we roped longhorns it was something to watch em run through the alley tilting their head back and forth, at a run

Mine varies from 29" to 30" depending on where you measure. Directly related to the thickness of the rough-cut oak and straightness of the railroad ties. Not to mention my lack of carpentry skills.

Mine is 30". Previous one was a little narrower and had trouble getting heavy bred cows through it. I always figured I'd have to add some kind spacer to narrow it for calves, but I've done alright without it.

I don't have longhorn cattle but I do have a Powder River longhorn chute. I bought it used. It is built for handling horned cattle. The bars on the side of the chute are horizontal instead of veritcal. The frame at both ends stick out to the side allowing access for the horns. I think it is actually built stronger than a normal chute. Polled cattle work just fine in this chute. And where the frame sticks out protects people from being hit by the tailgate or headgate when they are being opened.

Latest posts