whats this.

Help Support CattleToday:

rocket2222

Reaction score
I've got little patches of this popping up in the pastures, don't remember seeing it before, any idea what it is. Thanks.

IMG_348311.jpg

IMG_348511.jpg

I've got it, too. When I was in NC a couple weeks ago there were fields of it.

kenny thomas":2ibggj8n said:
Is it already mature and turning brown? About 18" high? If so it is probably wild rye. We have a lot of it also this year.

Yep, that all sounds about right. I guess I'll have more next year, looks like a lot of it's gone to seed already.

cfpinz":2ibggj8n said:
I've got it, too. When I was in NC a couple weeks ago there were fields of it.

This in pasture I'm grazing, cows haven't touched it, but there's plenty of other stuff to eat right now. My question would be, why is it showing up now, noticed more of it today while I was bush hogging another lot. Do you'll have a lot more white clover this year, I've probably got 4 times more of it this year than I've ever had before.

IMG_348611.jpg

IMG_347111.jpg

There may be little or none next year. Seems like it is everywhere this year and I have only had a little in a small field before. It is ok hay but I can never get it cut before it is mature. I think it is something in the weather that promotes it. The clover is really good here also.

The plant is a volunteer species of Timothy. The cattle will not eat it if they have something else to choose. However, if you cut and bale this species they will munch on it come Winter. I have heard it referenced as Herd's or Hurd's grass.

rocket2222":tf8vbgiz said:
Do you'll have a lot more white clover this year, I've probably got 4 times more of it this year than I've ever had before.

We've got a buttload this year. I'm almost worried that it will choke out my fescue.

And by the way, it's yall - not you'll!

Dam Yank! :lol2:

cfpinz":19y6klca said:
rocket2222":19y6klca said:
Do you'll have a lot more white clover this year, I've probably got 4 times more of it this year than I've ever had before.

We've got a buttload this year. I'm almost worried that it will choke out my fescue.

And by the way, it's yall - not you'll!

Dam Yank!
:lol2:

Dam foreigners :lol:

Back in 1993 we had a 27" snowfall here, and I can remember my Granddad telling me "Just watch the clover grow this spring." That year it was red clover that sprung up in places we had never had much of it before. Snowfall this winter was the heaviest we've had since that year, but it's white clover this spring.
It's everywhere. I quess old Granddad knew what he was talking about.

agnmantoo, I send some samples of it to VA Tech and was told it was wild rye is why I called it that. Whatever it is it is everywhere in the hayfields but nowhere in the pastures here.

rocket2222

If time permits try to get a few of the seed heads and thresh the seed with your hands. I would like to know what the seed itself looks like. Thanks

agmantoo":1pqfs1g3 said:
rocket2222

If time permits try to get a few of the seed heads and thresh the seed with your hands. I would like to know what the seed itself looks like. Thanks

Thats the end of a toothpick if you needed a reference for size.
IMG_352011.jpg

rocket2222":jt52jv0d said:
agmantoo":jt52jv0d said:
rocket2222

Thats the end of a toothpick if you needed a reference for size.
IMG_352011.jpg
Sure doesn;t look like timothy to me

Latest posts