Whats The Next Breed?

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC":mqmx80sd said:
VanC":mqmx80sd said:
vs_cattle":mqmx80sd said:
Char & Char Cross Cattle Will Always Be Around What Im Wondering Is Will Charolais Ever Be On Top Again Is It Possibe. In History Has A Breed Or Breeds Go From The Top To The Bottom To The Top Again?

I like Chars. I know they were very popular 30 or so years ago and are making a comeback now, but I don't remember them ever being "on top" like Herefords once were and like Angus are now. Somebody enlighten me.

Back when I was working for ABS in the late 60's-early 70's, the Char bulls were the hottest thing going.

But many people abused them by breeding those little 700-800 lb cows to these big Full French monsters and started having calving problems.

We could see it coming from a mile off. Many times back then when I refused to AI someones young heifers to the Chars in our tank, I was cussed and discussed.

There was no data on BW's nor EPD's for calving, but they didn't care.

All of a sudden.....the Chars were "Cow Killers". :mad: :mad:

I wore out a set of chains on those cow killers that were coming up through Mexico in the early 70's. That was when we tagged them as pallet head cattle.

Breed Registration Increases...

Angus 11% increase in 2006
Charolais 9.3% Increase in 2006
Hereford 4.2% Increase in 2006
Glev.. 4.1% Increase in 2006

Those are the industry leaders... The Next Breed will be a Cross Bred Program and the Association that attaches and develops the program will be in the lead..

Also this year.. Charolais became the #2 largest breed in the US.. Topping Herefords registrations on 12-6-06... the Rank is now..

Angus
Charolais
Hereford..

Those Breeds if poised could develop a program that could be mainstream.. Angus for color, Charolais for Growth, and Hereford for maternal and Cutability... the perfect cross.. Angus x Hereford = Bwf x Charolais = growth, cutability, maternal genetics..

takes the fat of angus x cutability of herefords and adds growth and choice cuts of charolais... There it is for you the next breed..

Dusty":3kbu4fsx said:
Angus for color, Charolais for Growth, and Hereford for maternal and Cutability... the perfect cross.. Angus x Hereford = Bwf x Charolais = growth, cutability, maternal genetics..

takes the fat of angus x cutability of herefords and adds growth and choice cuts of charolais... There it is for you the next breed..

I think the original poster was talking about breeds, not crosses. While a good crossbreeding program can help increase your profits, the final product is still not a breed.

You also mentioned Angus for color. If you put Charolais bulls on Angus x Hereford cows you'll get mostly gray and yellow calves, not black. It does make a good cross, though. Know a couple of guys around here who do it.

Dusty,

Where did you find this info at? I would like to take a look at that info.

Thanks,
BRG

cattleluvr18":o7xrf8yw said:
herefords will rule again!! im just jokin i dont think that they will be makin a comback anytime soon

here in nebraska there is no Brahman, Gelbvieh, or Beefmaster that i have seen. and there is very little Sim, Balancers and chars. everybody has angus. i know nebraska isnt too powerful in the top cattle industry but to be on top wouldnt they have to be litterally everywhere acrost the country just like angus? please correct me if i am wrong.

Nebraska was ranked 4th in the U.S. in 2006 for number of head of cattle. So Id say there pretty much on top of things when it comes to the cattle industry.

A Cross Breed will be the next Breed... I believe this.. Balancers have lost there push right now. but i feel as though someone will Create another Program like Maine's that will allow purebred breeders to Cross Register a mix... Hereford x Angus and create a directory to use with a performance breed Char or Sim and have the color spectrum similiar to Shorthorns: Reds, whites, Tans, that are Dark hided...

By the way Nebraska guys.. I like on the border and I can name 15-20 purebred Charolais breeders in Nebraska totally over 20k head, and for the brahma influence in nebraska walk through North Platte feeders and tell me how many ears and navels you see that are not angus black cattle.. You may be a Angus guy, but that don't mean that entire state of Nebraska agrees with you!! By the way just because the CATTLE ARE BLACK THAT DOES NOT MAKE THEM ANGUS!!

Dusty":55jfjm4j said:
A Cross Breed will be the next Breed... I believe this.. Balancers have lost there push right now. but i feel as though someone will Create another Program like Maine's that will allow purebred breeders to Cross Register a mix... Hereford x Angus and create a directory to use with a performance breed Char or Sim and have the color spectrum similiar to Shorthorns: Reds, whites, Tans, that are Dark hided...

By the way Nebraska guys.. I like on the border and I can name 15-20 purebred Charolais breeders in Nebraska totally over 20k head, and for the brahma influence in nebraska walk through North Platte feeders and tell me how many ears and navels you see that are not angus black cattle.. You may be a Angus guy, but that don't mean that entire state of Nebraska agrees with you!! By the way just because the CATTLE ARE BLACK THAT DOES NOT MAKE THEM ANGUS!!

Theres charolais breeder shtat run 20,000 head of cattle?

Dusty":3soda0rb said:

Theres charolais breeders that run 20,000 head of cattle?

CopeMan":204yxfpm said:
Dusty":204yxfpm said:

Theres charolais breeders that run 20,000 head of cattle?

I believe if you will read Dusty's post CAREFULLY, you will discover that he is referring to 15 - 20 purebred Charloais breeders which will TOTAL over 20k head - not just ONE breeder. At least that is the way I interpreted his thread.

DOC HARRIS

I think Maines Already have a program like Limflex and Balancers. they call it Maintainers... If the association isn't doing it than breeders have started it on their own because I have even seen show classes for them at fairs.. Have seen it around for 2-3 years at least... Don't know if it is going anywhere or not but it exists...

I doubt there will be another single breed so dominant any time soon or even in 10+ years.. However, it would not surprise me at all if te straight breeding craze goes away and if some other breeds close the gap so to speak with Angus in popularity...

Dusty":2dyw0vja said:

Other breeds have created programs to register crossbreds. Maines have the MainTainers, Limousin have the LimFlex, Shorthorns have the Durham Red, Gelbviehs have Balancers. I think Simmentals will register crossbreds. Even the Angus Assn is looking at setting up a crossbred registry. Has the Charloais Associations started one?

cattleluvr18":2vvmcgl9 said:
here in nebraska there is no Brahman, Gelbvieh, or Beefmaster that i have seen. and there is very little Sim, Balancers and chars. everybody has angus. i know nebraska isnt too powerful in the top cattle industry but to be on top wouldnt they have to be litterally everywhere acrost the country just like angus? please correct me if i am wrong.

You are wrong about the Gelbvieh and Balancer part at least. There are several breeders in Nebraska including some of the largest and most well known Gelbvieh herds in the country.
http://www.gelbvieh.org/members/results ... 2&state=NE

Dusty":fko86r0s said:

By the way Nebraska guys.. I like on the border and I can name 15-20 purebred Charolais breeders in Nebraska totally over 20k head, and for the brahma influence in nebraska walk through
  • North Platte feeders and tell me how many ears and navel
s you see that are not angus black cattle.. You may be a Angus guy, but that don't mean that entire state of Nebraska agrees with you!! By the way just because the CATTLE ARE BLACK THAT DOES NOT MAKE THEM ANGUS!!
were those calves raised in nebraska or shipped in ?

I looked at the Hereford web site and counted links to 12 different Nebraska Hereford breeders' web sites. IF Nebraskans are like Alabamians MOST of the breeders DON'T have web sites.

Northern Rancher":1lv1equa said:
Actually the next breed is just being developed up north here-we are taking select germplasm from the largest male black bears we can find and combining it with dna from highly maternal black baldy cows. The cross from this will be be a high marbling cow with unsurpassed mothering instinct. The best part is that they will hiubernare in late Oct. and not emerge till late April just before calving. The savings in cost of production will be incredible.

NR---------I believe that was tried years ago up in your country by crossing black bears on Hereford cows....Bearfords!The only problem was in that it was a "terminal cross" as the resulting progeny tended to devour their moms while nursing! ;-) :p :lol: :lol: :lol:

We tried to raise a hardier pack animal by crossing black bears on Donkeys also but we ended up with Bear Asses that froze in the winter. Genetics is an exacting science and a tough taskmaster.

Dusty":wqgocw6h said:

ok number one...who said i was an angus guy? (if you are refering to me) and if you are, i am a girl. AND i am NOT that dumb to not know that just because there black makes them angus. sheesh... and number two...i did say hereford will rule again i didnt say nothin about liking angus (i dont like them that much), i just said everybody has them. and i am sorry about the wrong information. i guess i dont get around enough. and i live oppositly of north platte and i've only been there once for state softball (we got 3rd by the way) so i did not see any cattle. and there is very little(i think only 1) Gelbvieh breeder around. so i guess i need to get my facts right before i shoot off my mouth....sorry guys.

NR---------I believe that was tried years ago up in your country by crossing black bears on Hereford cows....Bearfords!The only problem was in that it was a "terminal cross" as the resulting progeny tended to devour their moms while nursing!

Why dont you try to breed in some hairy dogs or something