Whats safe to spray around the base of trees ?

Help Support CattleToday:

leboeuf

Reaction score
1. I sprayed a good dose of 2,4d in a pasture near the house and was careful not to expose any of the tress to the herbicide. Now what can I use to spray around the base of my mature pecan trees that won't hurt them. Mainly targeting briars and broad leave weeds.

2. Would 2,4D kill a tree with light spray exposure to the bark or leaves???

leboeuf":1wnul4oe said:
1. I sprayed a good dose of 2,4d in a pasture near the house and was careful not to expose any of the tress to the herbicide. Now what can I use to spray around the base of my mature pecan trees that won't hurt them. Mainly targeting briars and broad leave weeds.

2. Would 2,4D kill a tree with light spray exposure to the bark or leaves???

Be careful with any ester 2-4,D's especially. I wouldn't spray any post-emergent broadlef weed killer on the bark or leaves, but..... I would wipe the leaves by hand with it if absolutely necessary.

Simazine is a pre-emergent you can use for weeds in pecan orchards.

2,4-D is safe to spray around Mature trees as it has no soil activity and it must be either put in the cambium layer of the tree or on the foliage to kill it. I don't know of any tree that has thick more mature bark that will be hurt by it UNLESS you inject it in the cambium layer. I use a boomless sprayer and spray gallons of 2,4-D each year. I've also found you can prune the lower branchs of trees that are growing into the roadway by spraying the lateral branches with 2,4-D. If there is a tree about 10 foot tall that I want to kill with this chemical I just run over the tree with the tractor and the crown gets sprayed once I pass over it. Sure beats injecting it.

Another good one to use is Garlon. Its kinda like 2,4-D on steroids but its more costly and on a hot day it can walk on you so don't spray it around cotton on a hot day.

mermill2":3w0uqkuk said:
roundup around mature trees,just don't come in contact with follage or woulnds or cambium.

Ditto, Roundup works good too if you want the area dirt clean to pick up nuts. But if you go this route you will need to continue annual spraying since nature hates a vacuum and will naturally seed this killed zone with other plants that you will have to contend with later.

good advice. I just want to get it under control so grass can get a foothold in the future. This pasture will be put in the grazing rotation.

2,4-D is the one you want unless you got some hard to kill species (usually these have waxy leaves). If you got these go with Garlon. The latter will work anytime but best results can be obtained in the fall just before the cherries drop their leaves.

Latest posts