what's it called?

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl13

Reaction score
my 14wk. steer has a lump where he got his vacs last week what do they called that when that happens and when will it go away?
thanks yall

If you run cold water over it for about 5 to 10 minutes 2 to 3 times a day, it will go down a little faster. The cold tap water (according to the local vet) will cause the blood to leave taking some of the swelling with it. I was skeptical, but it did help the lump go down in about a week to 10 day.

Sometimes they won't go away no matter what. If the injection was not given properly, the hematoma as they say, will remain constantly.

You do see it alot with 8-way and pre-conditioning shots, but they will go away eventually. If you don't "place the needle" correctly under the skin though, it may not go away.

What vacs did the animal receive? Blackleg will leave a lump for weeks. I'd just keep and eye on it and wtach it go down.
Just my two bits worth....Dmc

I guess this is where rookie's and veterans need to be reminded of shot placement. I know I get in a hurry sometimes when things are going good and simply out of laziness shots don't get placed properly. And the calves you sell, at least here, get knocked for immunization knots.

Herefordcross":1yhjf2vw said:
And the calves you sell, at least here, get knocked for immunization knots.

Seems like they would bring more, since knots are a visible sign of a vaccination program.

The Director at our bull test station (PHD.-Animal Science) says that it's been studied and proven that the bigger the knot after inoculation, the better the immunity.

TXBobcat":148aieaq said:
Herefordcross":148aieaq said:
And the calves you sell, at least here, get knocked for immunization knots.

Seems like they would bring more, since knots are a visible sign of a vaccination program.

Ditto. Doesn't make sense.

But then again a lot of the buyers at the sale barn don't make sense.

They look for any excuse to doc a calf, it seems.

Had a South Devon cow do the same thing after vaccinations you either might have hit a lymph node while giving the shot or something anyway our cow's place of injection swelled up the size of a basketball. It took a few months but it eventually went down on its own. It never affected her eating or drinking in anyway. So leave it alone and they will do okay.

Latest posts