Gotta keep it sharp Doc

Help Support CattleToday:

SBMF 2015

Reaction score
My Buhner needle got borrowed and never returned. So I ordered a new one. Had to put a double prolapse in last weekend. That new needle is so dull it felt like I was trying to push it through concrete not cow hide.
Anybody who has experience with one. How do you sharpen them? The curve in the bevel kinda is throwing me on what the best tool would be. Hoof knife sharpener, ignition file, really fine sand paper?

1625419181822.png

I'm also curious to know. My Buhner needle as terribly dull out of the box also. To the point that I us a scalpel to cut the hide prior to inserting the needle. Otherwise it's just cruel and unusual punishment 🤷‍♂️

I've never used one but would try a fine wheel on a bench grinder and a very good rest for best control.

Never sharpened one and only watched it used a few times but for odd shaped stuff that I am trying to get really sharp I use a buffing wheel on the bench grinder.

Use a Dremel. The initial cost is a little painful but you will use it more than you think. We sharpen needles, Barns dehorning tool, inscribe tags, sharpen scalpels, clean branding irons, hoof nippers, pocket knives. Probably more stuff we haven't thought of.

I always made an initial 'stab' incision with a scalpel blade anyway. And... any cow that was getting one had already had an epidural to facilitate replacement of the prolapse, so the 'cruel and unusual punishment' was not an issue... until the epidural wore off, I guess.