What's a reasonable price to you as the buyer?

Help Support CattleToday:

bse":l9jmxdax said:
I wouldnt invest in a bunch of non breeders to make recipes, id want the fertile ones at the front end of calving.
I'm like everyone else, slaughter price.
Couldn;t possibly agree more. You want to most fertile, not the least. Implanting embryos is a sketchy enough process without throwing a a clanger of possible infertility.

dun":t1tuqj3o said:
bse":t1tuqj3o said:
I wouldnt invest in a bunch of non breeders to make recipes, id want the fertile ones at the front end of calving.
I'm like everyone else, slaughter price.
Couldn;t possibly agree more. You want to most fertile, not the least. Implanting embryos is a sketchy enough process without throwing a a clanger of possible infertility.
That would seem common sense. But, you are asking her to carry the fertile egg of another not produce a fertile egg.

If a cow has a history of 2 or more services to conceive, but has the proven ability to conceive and carry to full term,
what would her expected success rate be compared to the average success rate?
Perhaps a reproduction expert or someone with a good amount of experience could weigh in.

bse":202a551j said:
If they work for ya then maybe worth a little more, for me I put too much money in embryos to buy somebody culls.
I just try and find a good bunch of somebody's cows and use them and buy the calves at weaning!
How much of a premium do you pay to use those cows?

I vaccinate all the cows, pay for everything done, when the calf is ready to wean I pay steer price for all of them, with a 30 day either way guarantee. The guarantee comes because I want them around 205 days and maybe they normally sell before or after that. Works out for everyone, they have no expense in the cow and get a premium with no commission.

That actually doesn't sound too bad for someone that doesn't keep their own heifers or background their own calves, barring a need to sell some early for whatever reason.

What is the agreement concerning calf vaccination/worming/cutting?

Everything on the calves is on me, and I want it that way, there on my program. Dont cut alot of ET calves.

Why not cut an ET bull calf?

If it's not up to snuff, it's not up to snuff. :shrug:

An Aubrac breeder friend of mine cut all six ET bull calves he had one year because he didn't like one thing or another about them. Those were some pricey steers, but he thought that was more important than anything else in regards to getting quality cattle in other peoples' hands. I, for one, agree with him.

Back to the point ... in summary, it sounds like the group of responders here thinks something between $0.75 to $1.00 / lb is a reasonable range to pay, depending on the specific animal and other terms of the deal, etc.

And, so, thanks for the feedback.

If you look it says don't cut alot, not any!! Just because it's an ET don't automatically make it great. I do however give them a little more time.

bse":2yp0d069 said:
If you look it says don't cut alot, not any!! Just because it's an ET don't automatically make it great. I do however give them a little more time.

...not an unreasonable clarification. Thanks for pointing it out.

I'm more inclined to be more patient with heifers than with bulls. And the heifers I'm being patient with ate the ones I'm selling at discounted prices to let someone else coax them along. If they're staying here, I want them to go to work.

Local sale yesterday had cows in second stage going anywhere from $625 to $800. Saw a three in one go for $700. Prices were so low that I wish I had 1,000 acres fenced in with good grass. I believe it would have been a good time to load up.

Caustic Burno":12p93yn3 said:
callmefence":12p93yn3 said:
kenny thomas":12p93yn3 said:
If they are open without a calf at their side they are worth slaughter price.

That's right. If she ain't got a calf wth is she doing open.

Open cow no matter the breeding isn't worth a dried up monkey turd to me.
Yep, open cows with no calves at their side make me nervous, beef price is all they are worth. A heifer with first calf makes me a little uncomfortable at too high of a price. Always the chance they wont breed back. Anything unregistered I dont like paying too much over beef price anymore. When I first got started in cattle I made the mistake of buying cattle way over beef price, then when culling the crud out I lost my tail big time. That is not going to happen again. Actually I am at the auction today. Cant find what I want private treaty for the price I want. I have been hitting the sales for the last 3 weeks. The way I see it if I have a cull I wont lose over $500 a head after middle men mark up and feed. After a few years I feel comfortable enough to buy at the auctions, starting out I didnt. That cost me $1000's

BK9954":3eqwbfmu said:
Caustic Burno":3eqwbfmu said:
callmefence":3eqwbfmu said:
That's right. If she ain't got a calf wth is she doing open.

Open cow no matter the breeding isn't worth a dried up monkey turd to me.
A heifer with first calf makes me a little uncomfortable at too high of a price. Always the chance they wont breed back.
We never used to buy first calf heifers just for that reason. But recently we have had so much success that when we attend sales we actually look for the first calf heifer.

Last year had one I fed for 9 months that never bred back, I paid premium for her private treaty. I dont do business with that guy anymore or pay too much over market price for heifers either. The way the markets are it doesnt make sense to me to pay over market. If you get one at a sale barn then your risk is greatly reduced. Yesterday just bought a FANCY brahman/brangus cross heifer at $1.22 a pound. Those girls are being sold private treaty up to $1500. I paid $720. If she turns out to be a loser back to the auction she goes. But I wont lose $800 like I would buying private. I honestly think a lot of private cattle are extremely overpriced. Now a bull is a different story all together.

Latest posts