Whats a Good Steak?

Help Support CattleToday:

3waycross":17dh2cib said:
Aero":17dh2cib said:
Ranch Foods Direct / Mike Callicrate in Colorado Springs. It was the best i ever saw in their stores but the other good ones werent far behind. $16.99/lb for their prime ribeyes.

Matt
I've seen and sold a lot of PRIME ribeyes, these are sure a step above that. I have looked at the chart they use for grading Kobe(American) and those steaks are 3 or 4 grades above our prime. I'll have to check it out we are ony a couple hrs from the Springs.

realize that these steaks are considerably above average for what they have. What they have in the cooler is still very good and grade prime pretty easily, but arent like the ones above.

Aero":3ax8rumm said:
spoon":3ax8rumm said:
I find this interesting as I personnally put steak sauce on all steaks I eat unless they are cooked with some kind of seasoning. Steak is pretty tasteless to me whether it has a lot of fat or not hence the steak sauce. So for me the leaner of the two would be my choice. And before y'all start on me for using steak sauce I do it because I like it. I also eat my french fries with ketchup and hot dogs with mustard. :D

mark this down: YOU HAVE NEVER HAD A GOOD STEAK THAT WAS PROPERLY COOKED.
no matter what great cook made you a million tasteless steaks, they cant cook a steak. I can make a MikeC steak taste great with the right cooking technique.

these steaks were the best I have ever had. I knew they had potential when I saw them and my wife still talks about them 2 years later.
steak.JPG

Those look very tasty.

Matt, I am just curious how you cook your steaks and what degree of cookedness (excuse my English here) you personally prefer.

Last thing I'd want to do is cook this too long....2 minutes on each side on a HOT fire and serve'em up. Let me know when you're cooking again Matt..I know I cna make it. :p :p

1. liberally apply fresh ground sea salt to both sides then freshly ground black pepper on both sides in this order. Getting the order right is important because a lot of the salt will drip off while cooking. McCormick disposable grinders work well; other types and brands of salt have not worked for me. Dont be creative; just stick to the directions.

2. Let sit on the counter for a couple of hours to get closer to room temp.

3. Prepare charcoal grill. Dont even joke about a propane grill. No starter fluid allowed. A few match light briquets under plain charcoal to get it started is acceptable; I prefer a propane fish fryer and a charcoal starter chimney. One starter full of charcoal is plenty for 2-3 steaks. Keep charcoal centered as well as possible if cooking only 2 or 3 steaks (Spread out more charcoal for more steaks). Dont try too many. Getting 2 steaks right is very hard. Only attempt 6 at a time after years of practicing my method. ;-)

4. Get charcoal HOT! If you can hold your hand 4 inches from the grate for 1 second, it's not hot enough. Make sure there is no flame reaching the grate. Without a propane starter, this could take 30-40 minutes.

5. Use tongs to lay steaks in center of heat. If the steak isnt cut flat, put the thicker part/end to the center. (If you didnt hear it hit the grate, there wasnt enough heat). Let it cook for about 90-120 seconds. Put the top on it and BE PATIENT!

6. Check to see if the first side is seared. If the fat isnt burned to a dark honey brown color, it's either not time turn or it wasnt hot enough. If it's stuck to the grate, the heat was nowhere hot enough. Flip it over when it looks burned.

7 repeat on second side. Go get digital meat thermometer while waiting the 120 seconds.

8 after it's seared, flip it over every minute until the center of the thickest part has reached 125 degrees. move them around on the heat to prevent any part of it from getting over 130 degrees.

9. apply sea salt and fresh pepper to taste.

dont worry about tinting it. just eat it while it's hot.

i don't use steak sauce but i do do this. grill the steak until it is slightly underdone to your preference, then take off of grill- put on a plate and cover with foil. after a couple of minutes the steaks will be done to your preference and should have a lot of juice setting on the bottom of the plate. theres your steak sauce ;-)

ROB

Aero":2skvkhoy said:
1. liberally apply fresh ground sea salt to both sides then freshly ground black pepper on both sides in this order. Getting the order right is important because a lot of the salt will drip off while cooking. McCormick disposable grinders work well; other types and brands of salt have not worked for me. Dont be creative; just stick to the directions.

2. Let sit on the counter for a couple of hours to get closer to room temp.

3. Prepare charcoal grill. Dont even joke about a propane grill. No starter fluid allowed. A few match light briquets under plain charcoal to get it started is acceptable; I prefer a propane fish fryer and a charcoal starter chimney. One starter full of charcoal is plenty for 2-3 steaks. Keep charcoal centered as well as possible if cooking only 2 or 3 steaks (Spread out more charcoal for more steaks). Dont try too many. Getting 2 steaks right is very hard. Only attempt 6 at a time after years of practicing my method. ;-)

4. Get charcoal HOT! If you can hold your hand 4 inches from the grate for 1 second, it's not hot enough. Make sure there is no flame reaching the grate. Without a propane starter, this could take 30-40 minutes.

5. Use tongs to lay steaks in center of heat. If the steak isnt cut flat, put the thicker part/end to the center. (If you didnt hear it hit the grate, there wasnt enough heat). Let it cook for about 90-120 seconds. Put the top on it and BE PATIENT!

6. Check to see if the first side is seared. If the fat isnt burned to a dark honey brown color, it's either not time turn or it wasnt hot enough. If it's stuck to the grate, the heat was nowhere hot enough. Flip it over when it looks burned.

7 repeat on second side. Go get digital meat thermometer while waiting the 120 seconds.

8 after it's seared, flip it over every minute until the center of the thickest part has reached 125 degrees. move them around on the heat to prevent any part of it from getting over 130 degrees.

9. apply sea salt and fresh pepper to taste.

dont worry about tinting it. just eat it while it's hot.

Thanks for the detailed reply, I kinda expected something like this.

Very interesting method, what is the reason for seasoning and then letting it rest? That goes against all cooking techniques. I also season before grilling, but do it just before grilling and even that isn't the way chef school will teach you to do it.

I have to convert the 125F to figure out how done that is :D

Although I'm nowhere near as meticulous or scientific as you are I do it the same way.

What is tinting?

steak.JPG
[/quote]

These steaks look like the meat I have in my freezer except I finished the steer myself and he was a Holstein. Hubby is gone for a week to Europe so I won't be b-b-q'ing until he gets back but I will definately post a pic as soon as I have a couple thawed ,for those non believers. That steer is the best meat we have and our guests have ever had, but he also cost quite a bit to finish.

KNERSIE":1pxtp52t said:
Very interesting method, what is the reason for seasoning and then letting it rest? That goes against all cooking techniques. I also season before grilling, but do it just before grilling and even that isn't the way chef school will teach you to do it.
i havent had any training. i watched a cooking show that said to do it and i have had good results. just like everything else, there has to be a good and bad to it.

I have to convert the 125F to figure out how done that is :D
medium rare 52C

What is tinting?
many cooks say you need to let the meat rest for 5 min before you eat it. tenting* (sry) is putting foil over the meat while it sits so it doesnt lose heat. to do it right, you have to adjust the internal temp down. I havent seen a difference and i am not capable of letting a good steak sit there.

Aero":1kpzpkt7 said:
i havent had any training. i watched a cooking show that said to do it and i have had good results. just like everything else, there has to be a good and bad to it.

If I understood it correctly, the reason why one shouldn't season before grilling is that the salt wil draw moisture out of the meat making it drier and tougher. To be honest I don't see or taste any difference

many cooks say you need to let the meat rest for 5 min before you eat it. tenting* (sry) is putting foil over the meat while it sits so it doesnt lose heat. to do it right, you have to adjust the internal temp down. I havent seen a difference and i am not capable of letting a good steak sit there.

O I C
I heard the other day on a cooking program that all steaks take 10 mins to grill (obviously within reason)
For bleu you grill 1 minute on each side and rest for 8 minutes
Rare grill two minutes each side and rest for 6
Medium rare 3 minutes each side rest for 4
medium 4 minutes each side rest for 2
well done 5 mins each side and by then its so overcooked resting won't help anymore.

I won't say this is gospel, but it does make some sort of sense.

KNERSIE":35f6fql8 said:
Aero":35f6fql8 said:

If I understood it correctly, the reason why one shouldn't season before grilling is that the salt wil draw moisture out of the meat making it drier and tougher. To be honest I don't see or taste any difference

O I C
I heard the other day on a cooking program that all steaks take 10 mins to grill (obviously within reason)
well done 5 mins each side and by then its so overcooked resting won't help anymore.

Pretty scientific. Depending on the thicknes I cook them 1 1/2 - 2 minutes on one side and 1 - 1 1/2 on the other. The only rest they get is when I'm arrying them in and putting the rest of the stuff on the plate.

dun":6yo2r8f9 said:
KNERSIE":6yo2r8f9 said:
Aero":6yo2r8f9 said:

O I C

Pretty scientific. Depending on the thicknes I cook them 1 1/2 - 2 minutes on one side and 1 - 1 1/2 on the other. The only rest they get is when I'm arrying them in and putting the rest of the stuff on the plate.

I am anything but scientific, my method is the same as yours dun, I just don't time it. I eat my steak rare and I want it fat, nothing but salt and pepper for seasoning. Other people's methods do interest me however.

KNERSIE":1afa06xz said:
I am anything but scientific, my method is the same as yours dun, I just don't time it. I eat my steak rare and I want it fat, nothing but salt and pepper for seasoning. Other people's methods do interest me however.

Pepper, on a good steak? Some salt as it's cut is all I use. Friend of mine loads so much pepper on everything it looks black like the flys have been crapping on it.

dun":p02a5pla said:
KNERSIE":p02a5pla said:

Pepper, on a good steak? Some salt as it's cut is all I use. Friend of mine loads so much pepper on everything it looks black like the flys have been crapping on it.

dun...about the same here but do like just a touch of garlic as well. And no steak sauce, ketchup or anything. Just those good juices and sop them up with a roll.

dun":2q8ztckh said:
KNERSIE":2q8ztckh said:

I have to confess that I love pepper, especially on my steak.

Man, all this reading about steaks... has gone and made me hungry. So, looks like I am getting off here, and go get some supper. Make mine medium... with salt... no pepper.. and my knife and fork.

2 year old dry cow Elk 1 in filet mignon bacon wrapped cooked medium rare. Salt and pepper nothing else. Unbeatable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rib steak ~ Thick ~ salt and pepper.
So rare I can give left overs a shot, and put them back in the pasture!
MMMM!

angie":3n4sjffb said:
Rib steak ~ Thick ~ salt and pepper.
So rare I can give left overs a shot, and put them back in the pasture!
MMMM!
Yum, drooling....
I don't thaw my steak, put it on the grill about 4 min first side, 2 to 3 on the other depending on thickness. Makes perfect rare steak.

Latest posts