Whats a Good Steak?

Help Support CattleToday:

They don't look like the same cuts. I don't believe the first is a ribeye, I think it is a flat iron, but not positive on that. But the second one is a ribeye. They can't be compared, a ribeye will always have a different muscle pattern through it, and it is one of the best steaks on an animal.

MikeC":2k0zzd5t said:
http://www2.vaes.vt.edu/resources/4h/virtualfarm/beef/beef_steak_seamfat.html

Don't want to offend any of my "angus breeder" friends but that "perfect steak" looks just like the ones we have in the freezer and they're limousin....Sure looks like the ones we have labeled ribeye as well. I wouldn't turn down the one in the other picture, but don't want any to have bones.

What's a flat iron steak????

Angus/Brangus":3o4lljk4 said:
TexasBred":3o4lljk4 said:
MikeC":3o4lljk4 said:
http://www2.vaes.vt.edu/resources/4h/virtualfarm/beef/beef_steak_seamfat.html

Don't want to offend any of my "angus breeder" friends but that "perfect steak" looks just like the ones we have in the freezer and they're limousin....Sure looks like the ones we have labeled ribeye as well. I wouldn't turn down the one in the other picture, but don't want any to have bones.

What's a flat iron steak????

The Flat Iron Steak is a cut of steak from the shoulder of a steer. The design of the cut of steak was created by researchers at the University of Florida and University of Nebraska during the course of a study of undervalued cuts of beef. The study also found that this specific cut is the second most tender cut of beef, after the tenderloin. The major initial barrier to the flat iron steak was the large band of connective tissue running down the center of the steak, which led people to assume that the cut in general must be tough. Removing the connective tissue, however, leads to a steak that is often described as having both the tenderness of a rib eye or strip steak while still having the full-flavored character of a sirloin or skirt steak. Whole, this muscle is known as Infraspinatus, and one may see this displayed in some butcher shops and meat markets as a "top blade" roast. Steaks that are cross cut from this muscle are called top blade steaks or patio steaks. As a whole cut of meat it usually weighs around 2 to 3 lbs, is located adjacent to the heart of the shoulder clod, under the seven bone. The entire top blade usually yields 4 steaks, between 8 to 12oz. each.

Restaurants, particularly upscale, have recently begun serving flat iron steaks on their menus.

The CAB website has some pretty good recipes for this cut but grilling works for me.

Angus I've probably been eating those things for years out here in Central Texas and these restaurants have been passing them off on me as "ribeyes". :lol2: Looks sort of like a flank steak.. (fajita meat)

what a crock of hooey!! the advice to pick the strip steak on the left is crap. the one on the right is a nice looking rib steak and under no circumstances should you ever cut that seam of fat and the lip off of it... the one on the left looks like the strip or "new york" that you cut from one side of a porterhouse (wich I think is tuffer than hell anyway) ok here you guys go, I am not a cattle producer, I am a consumer, I have bought the majority of my beef in the grocery store for 30 years. I DO NOT WANT LEAN BEEF!! the big push towards leaner and leaner beef makes it tough and flavorless in my opinion. The majority of my family agrees, the leaner it is the tougher and more tasteless it is. The health nuts out there have everyone brainwashed that if they dont eat lean meat they will drop dead in a year...BULL PUCKEY I say... Your all gonna die sometime, the least one should do is enjoy a good steak before they do. Anyway, I have to get the butcher to not trim the steaks when I go to a butcher shop and they are always horrified, tell me that people complain if it has fat on it. At the grocery store, I have to dig thru until I find one they didnt trim so well. I want my steak to taste like a steak and these days they dont. I am raising two of my own to butcher and I cant get them to eat enough as far as I am concerned. You guys just keep right on raising fat steers, cause I will buy them and so will quite a few more people that I know...

CAB anyone? ;-)

ribeye-2.jpg

MikeC":3l08auco said:
CAB anyone? ;-)

ribeye-2.jpg

5Pins should love it....he could wash it and his lipitor down with a bucket of beer. Too fat for me. Not paying $9.95 a lb. for tallow. When I do order steak I ask them to bring "mine" out and let me look at it before they cook it. You never know if that's the one they serve you or not but it's worth the try.

yes I would eat that, thats a nice looking prime rib. most of that fat melts when you roast it, makes for great flavor as it runs off, the rest of it, you trim off when you eat it. :) and 5Minpins is a She. And she doesnt drink beer or have high cholesterol. Im just saying, the leaner it is the less it tastes. And if it tastes bad, why should I pay 12.99 a pound for it?

I find this interesting as I personnally put steak sauce on all steaks I eat unless they are cooked with some kind of seasoning. Steak is pretty tasteless to me whether it has a lot of fat or not hence the steak sauce. So for me the leaner of the two would be my choice. And before y'all start on me for using steak sauce I do it because I like it. I also eat my french fries with ketchup and hot dogs with mustard. :D

[]

The Flat Iron Steak is a cut of steak from the shoulder of a steer. The design of the cut of steak was created by researchers at the University of Florida and University of Nebraska during the course of a study of undervalued cuts of beef. The study also found that this specific cut is the second most tender cut of beef, after the tenderloin. The major initial barrier to the flat iron steak was the large band of connective tissue running down the center of the steak, which led people to assume that the cut in general must be tough. Removing the connective tissue, however, leads to a steak that is often described as having both the tenderness of a rib eye or strip steak while still having the full-flavored character of a sirloin or skirt steak. Whole, this muscle is known as Infraspinatus, and one may see this displayed in some butcher shops and meat markets as a "top blade" roast. Steaks that are cross cut from this muscle are called top blade steaks or patio steaks. As a whole cut of meat it usually weighs around 2 to 3 lbs, is located adjacent to the heart of the shoulder clod, under the seven bone. The entire top blade usually yields 4 steaks, between 8 to 12oz. each.

Restaurants, particularly upscale, have recently begun serving flat iron steaks on their menus.

The CAB website has some pretty good recipes for this cut but grilling works for me.[/quote]

Excellant description on the Flatiron. You only left out one detail. I have found as have most if not all of my restuarant customers that the flatiron DOES NOT get better with age, it will get more tender but in the cyrovac after 14 to 18 days it will acquire a distintive liver, or off flavor. Good post

[It is definately not a flatiron. It is a ribeye and a pretty good one decent marbling and very little seam fat. The flatiron has no external fat, but will marble very nicelyb][/b]

BRG":zqme363y said:
They don't look like the same cuts. I don't believe the first is a ribeye, I think it is a flat iron, but not positive on that. But the second one is a ribeye. They can't be compared, a ribeye will always have a different muscle pattern through it, and it is one of the best steaks on an animal.

spoon":2kc1vqu6 said:
I find this interesting as I personnally put steak sauce on all steaks I eat unless they are cooked with some kind of seasoning. Steak is pretty tasteless to me whether it has a lot of fat or not hence the steak sauce. So for me the leaner of the two would be my choice. And before y'all start on me for using steak sauce I do it because I like it. I also eat my french fries with ketchup and hot dogs with mustard. :D

mark this down: YOU HAVE NEVER HAD A GOOD STEAK THAT WAS PROPERLY COOKED.

no matter what great cook made you a million tasteless steaks, they cant cook a steak. I can make a MikeC steak taste great with the right cooking technique.

these steaks were the best I have ever had. I knew they had potential when I saw them and my wife still talks about them 2 years later.
steak.JPG

[q

these steaks were the best I have ever had. I knew they had potential when I saw them and my wife still talks about them 2 years later.
steak.JPG
[/quote]

That's Kobe level marbling where did they come from.

Ranch Foods Direct / Mike Callicrate in Colorado Springs. It was the best i ever saw in their stores but the other good ones werent far behind. $16.99/lb for their prime ribeyes.

Aero":2f0hotrv said:
Ranch Foods Direct / Mike Callicrate in Colorado Springs. It was the best i ever saw in their stores but the other good ones werent far behind. $16.99/lb for their prime ribeyes.

Wow...me and the wife could only afford those if we halved one.

Aero":3u9omp44 said:

Matt
I've seen and sold a lot of PRIME ribeyes, these are sure a step above that. I have looked at the chart they use for grading Kobe(American) and those steaks are 3 or 4 grades above our prime. I'll have to check it out we are ony a couple hrs from the Springs.

Latest posts