whatcha think of this un'?

Help Support CattleToday:

limi chick fitter

Reaction score
this is another steer i got the day of our tag-in (yes, i'm a last minute getter person hehe) anyways.. so i've had him for.. a week? or a couple days over a week. anyways..

he's a limi/maine cross.. couldn't tell you the breeding on the bull (limi)he's out of, the guy couldn't remember but the bull has (from what i've seen) produced some good calves so i have some faith in this steer. also, when i got him he was only on pasture and hay so he had no feed so it's a reason why he's not filled out, but he's eating really *really* good.

i hope the pictures work lol
also, sorry if they are too big, i didn't know how to resize them.

b8161536.jpg

butt
50b83195.jpg

angle
8752e6d5.jpg

face
7843fe7d.jpg

what do you think he'd class?

Pictures taken on his level might make it easier to evaluate him. ;-)

Definitely get that feed to him. As far as he goes, I agree with Cowboy. I think even if he was standing better, he could be more level in his topline as well as in his hip. Keep working him and you might just surprise yourself with him. And yes...he should run Limmi.

limi chick fitter":mz133q9c said:
whats the problem with his halter?
The nose piece is a bit long, which allows the halter to tighten in his throatlatch instead of around the upper muzzle.

limi chick fitter":15mhz2lj said:
ah he's ok

you say that... but if he spooks, or slips, or anything else and he falls, then he chokes and is no more. i've seen it happen... not mine, but seen it.

limi chick fitter":1syfsod3 said:
i'll take my chances.. he tries to charge at me.. so i guess he'll learn not to if he wants to breathe.

Take a look next time ur at a show. I doubt you'll see any other cattle that have halters that fit like this one -- charging or not!!

farmwife":2r76hlmu said:
limi chick fitter":2r76hlmu said:
i'll take my chances.. he tries to charge at me.. so i guess he'll learn not to if he wants to breathe.

Take a look next time ur at a show. I doubt you'll see any other cattle that have halters that fit like this one -- charging or not!!

You also have better control of your animal if the halter fits properly.

good luck with your steer though... he does look good... just needs more time on feed.

limi chick fitter":175h3lty said:
i have faith that he will grow into himself, he's only a baby. can you guess at how old he is?
Pictures can be deceiving, but he looks to be about the size of our 3 month old Hereford calves, so I'll guess 3 months.

i actually got this halter at a beef camp i went to last year that i got for showmanship, it's a really really long rope and they recommend it so im using it.

and about the limi comment, he gets his crazy gene from his dam (maine), when i went to pick him up she was running after the trailer and charging at it.

also, farmwife, whats the big deal? he's my steer not yours so you shouldn't be worrying about it.

um no it's not.. the rope is extra long for halter breaking. anyways.. if my steer turns up dead one day.. it's my fault.. so just drop it.. it's just an effing halter!

limi chick fitter":knz56s3r said:
um no it's not.. the rope is extra long for halter breaking. anyways.. if my steer turns up dead one day.. it's my fault.. so just drop it.. it's just an effing halter!
I'm sure they sell halters with longer leads at your local feed store and if not, the big show suppliers like Sullivan's or Hamm's do. You ought to buy a new one that'll fit him that, that's still got the long lead on it.

We are just offering some advice, not trying to criticize you or put you down. I would think offering advice that is related to life and death of a steer would be welcomed, oh well. :?

Maybe the halter is the right size and he is just small. Who knows??

I'm guessing 4 1/2 months.

limi chick fitter":17c1epik said:
i actually got this halter at a beef camp i went to last year that i got for showmanship, it's a really really long rope and they recommend it so im using it.

and about the limi comment, he gets his crazy gene from his dam (maine), when i went to pick him up she was running after the trailer and charging at it.

also, farmwife, whats the big deal? he's my steer not yours so you shouldn't be worrying about it.

No big deal, just trying to help you avoid going down a road that I have been down before -- hope not. Sometimes you just can't tell folks; they have to learn on their own. Good luck with your steer and let us know how he does.

farmwife":1020ha7s said:
Sometimes you just can't tell folks; they have to learn on their own.

so true... see it way too frequently, as well

well for him being 4.5 months (u were right ryan).. that halter or any halter will be quite large on his small head. people.. i buy a halter at every show i go to so i have a big collection of halters, could of used anyone of those other shorter ones but i wanted to try out this longer halter.

Latest posts