Proud of Our juniors

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
The Cortland County Youth Fair was yesterday. The beef program has been struggling to exist, but we've had some clinics past few years and we had 12 kids involved this year.
Our "kids" crushed it.
Annika with the red yearling took Supreme Female (2nd year in a row this heifer won Supreme).
Elsie took Master Showman and Reserve Supreme Female
Eli took Reserve Master Showman and Grand Champion Feeder Steer.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1688653608278.jpg
    FB_IMG_1688653608278.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 18
  • FB_IMG_1688653604781.jpg
    FB_IMG_1688653604781.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 18
  • FB_IMG_1688653600642.jpg
    FB_IMG_1688653600642.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 18
Maybe everyone else is getting tired of your stock whooping theirs!

Seriously though, we're seeing it here too. Cattle show just gets smaller every year at our fair. Not as many on the farm, town kids all show rabbits and chickens, and I understand why.

Actually, the beef program has GROWN. It was almost non-existent.
Back 50 years ago, when my daughter showed at this fair, we increased the numbers and had a big county fair junior beef show (for out here). We have new management, and got some donations and purchased awards. Opened the eyes of some of the dairy kids!!

Thanks everyone, but I think it is immensely important for people to mentor our kids. Like I said, these are not farm kids. The kids use the same animal several years (if we don't sell them - which has happened multiple times). We pick out what we think are our potential show string, and they pick from them what they want to take on as "their" project. Obviously, temperament can make a difference.
I'm really not trying to brag - I'm just so proud of what they put into it. These are the same kids that are also sponsored in the dairy program and have competed in Dairy Bowl, Jeopardy, etc and have gone to Nationals representing NY and WON this year. They are like little sponges and can't get enough info. And, now, they are a lot of help at all our shows. They unpack the trailer, set up the display - take care of the display/cattle, wash equipment and pack the trailer. Hell, we have it made!!!

Maybe you have it "made" with the kids doing alot of the "grunt work" at the shows... but they are having fun, get some bragging rights, and they are having experiences that they may never have had a chance to. On top of that, they are learning responsibility, and they are interacting with adults in a positive way. You are not only giving them responsibilities, but also treating them as people... not like "dumb kids" and they learn to respect authority as well as understand that their ideas and opinions are worth something in the scheme of things. Plus, I am sure their parents are not only proud of them, but they are probably grateful that you are giving them a positive direction to work towards and environment to work in... No idle hands to make trouble.

I respect what you are doing and how you help and guide these kids into adulthood. It also helps kids growing up to have someone other than the "authoritative parent" to talk to and interact with... hey we all know that kids will do for others when they will buck the parents.... it is a natural thing growing up... this gives them a "safe" environment to spread their wings a bit and still have that safety net....

Latest posts