Our County Fair Results

Help Support CattleToday:

Fire Sweep Ranch

Reaction score
Well, take two! :)

We had our county fair this last weekend, and our kids did pretty good overall. We started off with the broiler show. All county kids were given 15 chicks that were just hatched (donated by Tyson) the end of April. The chicks ended up getting sick, and most kids lost up to 40% of their birds. We had 30 birds, and lost 14. The kids took great care of them, and the efforts paid off. They each selected their top three birds, washed them, and took them to the fair. Our son had a pen of 3 that weighed just over 20 pounds, and our daughter had a pen that weighed over 18 pounds. Our son was awarded Reserve Grand Champion Broiler pen, so he made it to the sale. Here is a pic of them in front of their birds:
ip0dqq.jpg

The birds are getting processed this morning.

Next was the hog show on Friday evening. We headed to the fair at 5, and did not get home until after midnight. Our daughter raised two hogs, which weighed in at 257 and 264 pounds. For her efforts, she was awarded Reserve Grand Champion Market hog and made it to the sale. Here she is with her pig after she won...
2lsitrr.jpg

The pigs will be processed Friday.... yummy!

Saturday early morning brought the cattle show. Each kid brought 5 head to show. Our son had one percentage heifer, November born, sired by Cut Above (fat butt) out of a Pioneer x Beef Maker cow that went on to win Grand Champion % Simmental.
5z1wqo.jpg

He kind of has a "mad on" in this picture because he was in the ring for the top 5 females, but was not selected (his sister was! :lol: )
He also brought a November purebred sired by Elevate that won her class, a September purebred sired by Elevate (bought from Ron, or Bright Raven) that was second in her class behind our other heifer, a steer that was last (bad structure, that is why he was steered), and a bull that is a Sept, sired by HPF Optimizer, and weighs close to 1100 pounds (at 9 months old), and was Reserve Champion Simmental Bull.
3308qrs.jpg

I had a hard time getting a good picture of him, the sun in the back and he would not set up for my son.

Our daughter brought a March 18 purebred that won her class, a September heifer that not only won her class, but was 3rd overall heifer for the show (she is out of Jeanne's cow Simmi Valley Zsa Zsa x Upperclass).
qxrz4k.jpg

She also had a May Revival heifer that won her class, a March yearling Bandwagon that was 4th, and a cow calf pair that was Champion Pair (you can see the cow in the picture below, she has a lovely udder!). So the kids had a great cattle show. We had to round up several juniors to help us show in the champion drive with so many head competing (4)!
166xb47.jpg

The end of the evening brought our premium sale, where both kids made some money for all their hard work! After that, we came home, lit a bonfire, and sat around and drank a nice glass of red wine to relax.
119790l.jpg

We are very thankful for the help that Ron provided during the crazy last week, with fencing and moving cattle and he even installed a new microwave over my stove since my old one decided to light up and go out while he was here. My husband appreciates everything he does around here, along with myself and the kids. WE ARE BLESSED!

Fire Sweep Ranch":13axzdah said:
Well, take two! :)

We had our county fair this last weekend, and our kids did pretty good overall. We started off with the broiler show. All county kids were given 15 chicks that were just hatched (donated by Tyson) the end of April. The chicks ended up getting sick, and most kids lost up to 40% of their birds. We had 30 birds, and lost 14. The kids took great care of them, and the efforts paid off. They each selected their top three birds, washed them, and took them to the fair. Our son had a pen of 3 that weighed just over 20 pounds, and our daughter had a pen that weighed over 18 pounds. Our son was awarded Reserve Grand Champion Broiler pen, so he made it to the sale. Here is a pic of them in front of their birds:
ip0dqq.jpg

The birds are getting processed this morning.

Next was the hog show on Friday evening. We headed to the fair at 5, and did not get home until after midnight. Our daughter raised two hogs, which weighed in at 257 and 264 pounds. For her efforts, she was awarded Reserve Grand Champion Market hog and made it to the sale. Here she is with her pig after she won...
2lsitrr.jpg

The pigs will be processed Friday.... yummy!

Saturday early morning brought the cattle show. Each kid brought 5 head to show. Our son had one percentage heifer, November born, sired by Cut Above (fat butt) out of a Pioneer x Beef Maker cow that went on to win Grand Champion % Simmental.
5z1wqo.jpg

He kind of has a "mad on" in this picture because he was in the ring for the top 5 females, but was not selected (his sister was! :lol: )
He also brought a November purebred sired by Elevate that won her class, a September purebred sired by Elevate (bought from Ron, or Bright Raven) that was second in her class behind our other heifer, a steer that was last (bad structure, that is why he was steered), and a bull that is a Sept, sired by HPF Optimizer, and weighs close to 1100 pounds (at 9 months old), and was Reserve Champion Simmental Bull.
3308qrs.jpg

I had a hard time getting a good picture of him, the sun in the back and he would not set up for my son.

Our daughter brought a March 18 purebred that won her class, a September heifer that not only won her class, but was 3rd overall heifer for the show (she is out of Jeanne's cow Simmi Valley Zsa Zsa x Upperclass).
qxrz4k.jpg

She also had a May Revival heifer that won her class, a March yearling Bandwagon that was 4th, and a cow calf pair that was Champion Pair (you can see the cow in the picture below, she has a lovely udder!). So the kids had a great cattle show. We had to round up several juniors to help us show in the champion drive with so many head competing (4)!
166xb47.jpg

The end of the evening brought our premium sale, where both kids made some money for all their hard work! After that, we came home, lit a bonfire, and sat around and drank a nice glass of red wine to relax.
119790l.jpg

We are very thankful for the help that Ron provided during the crazy last week, with fencing and moving cattle and he even installed a new microwave over my stove since my old one decided to light up and go out while he was here. My husband appreciates everything he does around here, along with myself and the kids. WE ARE BLESSED!

Thank you. The help I provide there is very rewarding. I have reached a point in life where I get as much gratification from helping someone as doing my own work. I feel like part of the family. Your friendship is highly valued!!!!

BTW: I bred a heifer and a cow while I was there and that bonfire is debris I cleaned up with the tractor and loader.

Bright Raven":18u0iy6v said:
True Grit Farms":18u0iy6v said:
They must be angles to be able put up with you.

Free slave labor. Thank goodness they at least feed me. Lol

And water you Ron (red water) by the sound of it.

Nice to see the variety of animals that the FSR team shows.

Ken

Looks like a great time, congratulations on all the hard work paying off. It's great to see the kids involved and active in this sort of thing. Memories and skills for a lifetime.

Congratulations to you all. I enjoy reading posts about kids and shows, and I appreciate how your family does it. Always intend to put up one of my kids showing but I never seem to get around to it.

Congratulations on a great county fair. With broilers, hogs and heifers you know what your kids are doing when not in school.

A big hearty CONGRATULATIONS!!
It takes a lot of commitment for the kids to do beef projects, let alone adding other projects.
But, mostly, it takes true commitment by the parents. I have worked with the juniors in our state for the past maybe 30 years, advisor for Beef Producer's juniors for 25 years - and without willing parents, the kids failed at their projects. It is truly a family project.
Soooo glad that heifer worked out so well for you guys. She does look awesome. :oops:

Congratulations, you made me tired just hearing about it! I remember those days with our boys and wouldn't take a million dollars for those wonderful memories. It is hard work but worth every tired step of it, your building great kids and that is the best investment we can make for this world we're living in. Yours will know what it is to work hard and the satisfaction one feels with a job well done. Congrats to them and to the parents that make it possible. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Gizmom

gizmom said:
Congratulations, you made me tired just hearing about it! I remember those days with our boys and wouldn't take a million dollars for those wonderful memories. It is hard work but worth every tired step of it, your building great kids and that is the best investment we can make for this world we're living in. Yours will know what it is to work hard and the satisfaction one feels with a job well done. Congrats to them and to the parents that make it possible. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Gizmom

X2

Latest posts