What would you pay???? 2nd calf cows

Help Support CattleToday:

hicky214

Reaction score
I bought some nice angus heavy bread, due to calf in the next 60 days cows yesterday. These cows where all raised on a local farm from calves had healthy calves as heifers and are now due soon. Commercial herd solid black not registered. I know its tough site un seen put all nice looking ladies. All are off a nice farm 5 miles from my place. He didn't want to sell them but I wouldn't leave him alone and he has plenty. He let me pick. I'm just curious as to what you guys/gals think they are worth in todays market?

hicky214":2zdku5kk said:
I bought some nice angus heavy bread, due to calf in the next 60 days cows yesterday. These cows where all raised on a local farm from calves had healthy calves as heifers and are now due soon. Commercial herd solid black not registered. I know its tough site un seen put all nice looking ladies. All are off a nice farm 5 miles from my place. He didn't want to sell them but I wouldn't leave him alone and he has plenty. He let me pick. I'm just curious as to what you guys/gals think they are worth in todays market?
Read a couple of market reports for local sales down here....looks like they would be worth between $2500 and $3000. Your market may be totally different.

At the local sale barn her you can pick up heavy breed cows in the $1100-$1500 range. However most all of those are at the sale because they are not good cows. I do not buy cows at the salebarn myself. I would say for 2nd calvers and the type of cows you describe you did good.

Yeah I wont buy from the sale barn unless its a sale off a good farm. These are nice cows I know there vaccination history and where they came from. They do have some gelbvieh in them which will be a first for me.

Sounds like you did pretty good around here they would bring 2300-2500. I can't believe pairs sold for 2850-3450 yesterday dang prices keep jumping up like crazy.

Sounds like a great buy. We sold some calves and averaged a little over $1300 ea.

In general we shoot for getting our money back in 3 yrs or less. You can back in to what a cow is worth if you maintain good books and know your input costs are.

Market value is a great way to sell and a poor way to buy.

From your description, they would bring 2500-2800 and possibly 3,000 at a special stock cow sale at the sale barns I go to.

at a special cow sale around here they would probably bring at leat 2300 o. up to 3000. on a regular sale they would probably bring 2000 up to 2500. Sounds like you got a good buy. bred fall calving heifers are bringing up to 2800 or more