Votes: 48 69.6%
  • 2. No

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • 3.Not enough information undecided

Votes: 10 14.5%

• Total voters
ALX.":1ssnatyl said:
chrisy":1ssnatyl said:
My Uncle used to train the dogs, both for catching people, drug and bomb sniffers.

chrisy - Ask your uncle what group gets bitten the most by police dogs.

I am with most folks who posted, if I fear it and don't really understand it, kill it and be sure the problem is solved. Way too much effort goes into solving problems a simple bullet would fix.

ALX, wish I could he died a while back, he used to train them when I was a youngster.
Why shoot first and ask questions after? the dog was chained probably a guard dog, the kids should not have been anywhere near it, if you are bought up with and around dogs you know not go near them when chained, as he must have been chained for a reason, there must have been snow in other places not just near the poor animal. I'm afraid I blame the adults for letting the kids play where they were without supervision they were small kids.

I was attacked just before Christmas by a Great Dane female that had never before shown the first inclination of aggression.

I got attacked again 2 weeks ago by the same dog.

On the first one I had to fight my way out of a laundry room.

The second time she ran from 40 feet away as my Dad was standing there. It ran up and bite me on the shoulder and I never flinched as I didn't see it until it happened. She retreated a bit and stood her ground. Dad calmed her down. He doesn't recall a thing but the other guy does.

The dog is dead.

To me it depends on what kind of property boundries were in place and why the kids were playing in the dog's yard.

For pools and such you are required to build "childproof" fences because they are what is known as an "attractive nuisance" I can see a dog on a chain with no fence being an attractive nuisance to children. That would be the owners responsibility.

If the kids were trespassing across some kind of reasonable barrier then I have a different opinion.

As for parents watching - a dog attack can happen pretty darn fast - maybe they were there I don't know - if they weren't they should have been. There was a rottie on a chain nearby.

Earl Thigpen":3amwrukl said:
A five YO child should not have to worry about yard boundries and mean dogs. Not only do I believe the dog should be put down, I believe the owners of the dog should be held responsible for the trauma that little girl has gone through.

I disagree. Where were the parents, and why was this child allowed to wander onto a neighbors property? Anyone who would allow a 5 year old to play outside unsupervised is issuing an engraved invitation for trouble of one sort or another. Since there is no statement as to whether the child was invited or not, and no statement as to whether this was the first time the dog bit or not, I do not think the dog should be summarily put down. **** happens, and nine times out of ten, it is because the person(s) responsible dropped the ball. In this case, it appears to be the childs parents. I think the child's parents should be more responsible for their child, and accept the responsibility of knowing where their child is, and what she is doing. I can unequivocably state that my child would not have been in the neighbors yard - dog or no dog.

chrisy":ber2djzl said:
sorry to say that is where you are wrong. Police dogs are only in cages during their working day while not in the field, at the end of the day they go home with their handlers to their family homes. That is here and in the States. I know a few dog handlers and have had dealings with police dogs. At home they are quite the softies, roll over and have a good old belly rub and love to play. My Uncle used to train the dogs, both for catching people, drug and bomb sniffers.

Recently one in Tucson had to be put down because it attacked the neighbor a couple times, if I recall.

chrisy":3b03yw6e said:
ALX.":3b03yw6e said:
chrisy":3b03yw6e said:
My Uncle used to train the dogs, both for catching people, drug and bomb sniffers.

chrisy - Ask your uncle what group gets bitten the most by police dogs.

I am with most folks who posted, if I fear it and don't really understand it, kill it and be sure the problem is solved. Way too much effort goes into solving problems a simple bullet would fix.

ALX, wish I could he died a while back, he used to train them when I was a youngster.
Why shoot first and ask questions after? the dog was chained probably a guard dog, the kids should not have been anywhere near it, .

Sorry about you losing your uncle chrisy, but he might very well have told you that police officers working with or in proximity to agression trained dogs get bit more often than most people think. It's not usually the dogs fault.

I was being sarcastic about shooting the animal. I was at a friends house once and was teasing their well behaved Labrador with raw hamburger. Out of rustration the dog nipped me on the cheek, didn't break the skin. My friends father was set to put it down and it took quite a bit of convincing to change his mind.( He had the gun out ). They enjoyed that dog for 6 more years without incident because some idiot didn't tease her again.

In Wewilds case, different matter, the animal was probably well beyond salvage.

Never understood keeping a dog on a chain.

I've never seen a dog (especially large breeds) kept on a chain that didn't lose it's mind.

Almost all will be mean when kept on a chain full time.

If you have to keep your dog on a chain, you don't have any business with a dog.

It is not unreal to say a child might go in someones house and steal and in todays society be sent there by a parent. The private property owner has to have some rights. If it was my dog and someone came over unannounced he better bite them. That is the dogs job, protector of the house!

TNMasterBeefProducer":ph09wbva said:
No, it should not be put down. The kid was on that persons property. The dog had every right to attack. I know my dog would attack any and all "strangers" that came into the yard if I left her un attended. Australian shepherds sure are protective of their "family".

This a major problem in society the dog had rights, Lot of difference in a dog that barks to warn the owner versus one that attacks. A dog is only an early warning buglar alarm if your home other than that he is useless.
If your dog had bit my child or grandchild I can't type what I would of done because it is illegal.
You can bet it would have cost us both dearly.

Why would a homeowner want a dog that will bite someone? Just a dog that will bark and tell you someone is in or near your home should be good enough. Or maby you're not capable of defending your own home.I just can't possibly believe you would want to keep a dog that has been known to bight a child.
Best guard dog I ever owned was a little cur dog weighed about 3lbs.He'd bark and growl and act like he could tear the world up but as soon as he was threatened he'd run and hide.
To many people think because they have a big mean biting dog,doberman.rot,pitbull.or german shepard,it makes them more masculine or meaner. To me it makes them more of a wossey cause they can't take care of them selves.
Poor dog he didn't know the difference,lets give him another chance to bight another child, maby he'll cause more damage the next time. Makes you wonder what people are thinking.
I love animals but I never think of them on the level of people.

Cal

Calman":2xpopkr5 said:
Why would a homeowner want a dog that will bite someone? Just a dog that will bark and tell you someone is in or near your home should be good enough. Or maby you're not capable of defending your own home.I just can't possibly believe you would want to keep a dog that has been known to bight a child.
Best guard dog I ever owned was a little cur dog weighed about 3lbs.He'd bark and growl and act like he could tear the world up but as soon as he was threatened he'd run and hide.
To many people think because they have a big mean biting dog,doberman.rot,pitbull.or german shepard,it makes them more masculine or meaner. To me it makes them more of a wossey cause they can't take care of them selves.
Poor dog he didn't know the difference,lets give him another chance to bight another child, maby he'll cause more damage the next time. Makes you wonder what people are thinking.

Cal

Have you also noticed the lower the IQ and economic standing the more pit bulls are chained around the house.

Caustic Burno":qpfgc2rk said:
Calman":qpfgc2rk said:

Cal

Have you also noticed the lower the IQ and economic standing the more pit bulls are chained around the house.

Sure have

Cal

Caustic Burno":2eh803t1 said:

Usually a couple cars up on blocks in the front yard can be found within 50 feet of a chained pit bull. And a misspelled No Trespassing sign.
:lol:

I have a kennel and raise German Shepherds. All of my dogs are friendly with small children. I wouldn't have a dog here that I could not trust around my son or his friends. Occasionally I get a call from someone wanting a "big vicious German Shepherd". I don't sell vicious dogs. A GSD trained to be protective is worlds different from a dangerous monster like a chained up pit bull in a drug dealers yard.

http://germanshepherddog.com/schutzhund/index.htm

http://www.caninetrainingsystems.com/products.php

A great while ago, a dog I had for years bit my daughters friend. No one had to ask me to put it down. After the 10 day quarantine period, I went to the animal shelter to see the dog one last time then asked them myself for the dog to be put down. No prior biting history.

Caustic Burno":15k22d5y said:
If your dog had bit my child or grandchild I can't type what I would of done because it is illegal.
You can bet it would have cost us both dearly.

I put folks who make pathetic threats on the internet in the same group as the chained pit bull crowd.

pit bulls, guns, claw hammers, tough talk typing- same group. Same cowards.

Latest posts