Votes: 48 69.6%
  • 2. No

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • 3.Not enough information undecided

Votes: 10 14.5%

• Total voters

hillsdown

Reaction score
A few of us have been discussing this case and after many heated debates I am wondering others opinions on this subject.

DELISLE, Sask. -- A young girl from Delisle, Sask., is recovering after being attacked by a dog while on her neighbour's property.

Five-year-old Jayden Solanik needed 29 stitches after Bandit, a Rottweiler cross, mauled her last week.

Now there's a debate over whether the dog should be put down.

The girl's mother, Cindy Solanik, says she's been told that because the attack happened on private property she will have to apply to a judge to have Bandit destroyed.

Bandit's owner couldn't be reached for comment but the woman's father, Jack Carnell, said he's also been told by an RCMP officer that there are no grounds to have the dog euthanized.

Jayden, her older brother and Carnell's grandson were apparently digging snowforts in the yard where Bandit was chained up when the attack happened.

"I tripped and he grabbed me," explained the little girl, whose face is now spotted with stitches, especially around her left eyelid, which was punctured.

"It was a mother's worst nightmare," said Cindy Solanik of the attack on her daughter.

Solanik wants the dog destroyed.

"I don't understand our justice system at all. How come this wild animal that has been domesticated has more rights than my baby?

"If it was a cougar or bear that came into town and attacked, they would have tracked it down and killed it."

"He should be dead and up in heaven," agreed Jayden. "He's a mean doggy."

A five YO child should not have to worry about yard boundries and mean dogs. Not only do I believe the dog should be put down, I believe the owners of the dog should be held responsible for the trauma that little girl has gone through.

I agree with Earl. I was a victim of a dog attack at that same age, (and even more strangely, with the same number of stiches to the face) and the dog was put down, no court decisions or nothing. The dog SHOULD be put down because chances are if he already attacked once, the stakes are high that he will attack again, and yes the neighbor is responsible for what happened to that little gal. That's my opinion.

I must admit I am on the fence on this one I can see both sides of the situation.The children were on the other peoples property but were they there with or without permission?If without permission where do we draw the line of a persons rights on their own property.

BUT any dog that would attack a child or a person unprovoked is really not a pet that should be kept.Maybe the owners new this about the dog and that is why it was chained up.

I think I need to hear more information before condemning the dog or the owners.

My only reservation would be because the dog was chained and the little girl accidentally tripped and fell into the dogs space when he got her. However, if the dog were mine I would put him down. I can't/won't have a dog that bites anyone.

There was a very similar case that happened here except the dogs were loose. But an elderly lady was killed while mowing her lawn. There is now a law in Texas that is named for her and Im not sure of the exact law but it protects people from others pets and holds the owners responsible. I believe it is Lillian's Law for Lillian Stiles.

mean dogs should be put down.i dont care if they attck livestock or people an kids.they should be put down right off.theres been alot of people attacked an hurt or killed by mean dogs.

The location of the child should be the parents responsibility. It is our responsibility to keep fences up so cattle do not get in other peoples fields. If the parents could not watch the child then they should build a chain link fence to keep her in their own yard.

If the dog would not have been properly restrained I would go the other way, or if the Dog had a record of biting anyone else.

I as an owner would put the dog down to avoid future incidents but not sure exactly how I would feel about the law saying the dog has to be put down.

If the dog had a violent history or say was trained as a guard dog then I might change my mind a little in the fact maybe the dog should have been more than chained and actually kept inside a pen.

If the dog were mine, I'd put it down.

But if a kid goes into the pasture and is injured by one of my cows, I wouldn't blame it on the cow.

The dog was chained on the owner's property. It is the owner's right to own such an animal so long as he/she takes proper measures to ensure the dog doesn't escape.

Just out of respect for the little girl, the owner should put the dog down. Since it is at this point, I can only assume that the little girl was not supposed to be where she was. What owner would let that happen? What parent would let their child get that close? Where were the parents? The courts should not be able to force this. This would set a precidence resulting in any dog that bites anyone should be put down, including police dogs.

backhoeboogie":3rdos31b said:
If the dog were mine, I'd put it down.

But if a kid goes into the pasture and is injured by one of my cows, I wouldn't blame it on the cow.

The dog was chained on the owner's property. It is the owner's right to own such an animal so long as he/she takes proper measures to ensure the dog doesn't escape.

Just out of respect for the little girl, the owner should put the dog down. Since it is at this point, I can only assume that the little girl was not supposed to be where she was. What owner would let that happen? What parent would let their child get that close? Where were the parents? The courts should not be able to force this. This would set a precidence resulting in any dog that bites anyone should be put down, including police dogs.

The dog should be put down. No doubt about that. And as an owner I would.
BUT, were are these people? It seems as though killing the dog will place the blame.
Looks to me like plenty of blame to go around....

I'm on the fence to, as if it was a guard dog and was chained it only done it's job, why have a dog and bark yourself?, why was the child in someone Else's yard? should they have been there in the first place and where was the adults? a child of five should be kept an eye on as anything can happen. There have been 3 similar incidents here recently and in all cases the dogs have been ordered to be destroyed. but they have been dogs on the dangerous dog register. Until more is known as to why the child was in that yard the dog should stay. It is a shame that the child was hurt, but that is not the fault of the owner, as he had it chained.

If the dog was on a chain and couldn't get loose then the owner couldn't be to blame. It would have to be the childs parents to blame. But If I were the owner the dog would surely got to doggie heaven.
I just wouldn't have a dog around that would attack a child for any reason.

Cal

I would put him down in a heartbeat would not give him a chance to do it agin a dog like that ain't got no place around kid's.When a child get's to playing they don't pay any attention to their surrondings just my thought's.

rattler

Put it down. Someone shoudld question where the mother or father of this child were, but a dog that does that is not a pet and should be put down.

I voted no but need to explain why. I don't think the law should require that this dog be put down. He was on his own property and I think it is a bad precedent to set that dogs that bite people on their own property should be destroyed.
There could be grounds for a civil case (resulting in financial compensation and the dog being put down) if the child was allowed to play there etc., etc. That I don't know enough of to give an opinion on.
All that being said if it were my dog no one would have to demand it be put down, I would have done it myself that hour.

hillsdown":9x25bxcy said:
A few of us have been discussing this case and after many heated debates I am wondering others opinions on this subject.

DELISLE, Sask. -- A young girl from Delisle, Sask., is recovering after being attacked by a dog while on her neighbour's property.

Five-year-old Jayden Solanik needed 29 stitches after Bandit, a Rottweiler cross, mauled her last week.

Now there's a debate over whether the dog should be put down.

The girl's mother, Cindy Solanik, says she's been told that because the attack happened on private property she will have to apply to a judge to have Bandit destroyed.

Bandit's owner couldn't be reached for comment but the woman's father, Jack Carnell, said he's also been told by an RCMP officer that there are no grounds to have the dog euthanized.

Jayden, her older brother and Carnell's grandson were apparently digging snowforts in the yard where Bandit was chained up when the attack happened.

:???: The little girl was playing in the yard of the dog owners son, it wasn't like she was there uninvited.
"I tripped and he grabbed me," explained the little girl, whose face is now spotted with stitches, especially around her left eyelid, which was punctured.

"It was a mother's worst nightmare," said Cindy Solanik of the attack on her daughter.

Solanik wants the dog destroyed.

"I don't understand our justice system at all. How come this wild animal that has been domesticated has more rights than my baby?

"If it was a cougar or bear that came into town and attacked, they would have tracked it down and killed it."

"He should be dead and up in heaven," agreed Jayden. "He's a mean doggy."

That dog was just doing his job. The trip part of the story is crap and if the kids get close enough to trip and get grabbed then they probobly stand just out of that dogs reach all the times taunting it. The childs parents should be put to sleep. As for a child like that my opinion is "to bad". They lived nextdoor, they new the dog was mean. Most importantly I don't care how many people think the dog should be put down the law is the law.

I would not tolerate a dog that would do that to a child. Bandit needs to go. That being said the parents are at fault, she is their responsibility.

Larry

I have to say that this is probably one of the most poorly written articles that could be published.Could they be more vague or indisisive?That must be why we had different opinions before and why I posted it.

I will see if I can get an update or a better, more articulate article.

I think we have different opinions because we are different people. No matter what you post someone will feel differently.

Latest posts